Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

TA Review: The War of the Worlds

• Posted on 07 November 11 at 08:21
    Cormac, you cannot be serious. Eastx already covered some of what I was gonna say, but I don't get why you would say that.

I personally was glad to see this as I played the demo and wasn't crazy about it but I definitely wanted to hear from someone who has played more than the 10 minutes I did. So as it was already stated the purpose of reviews is not to just review what Cormac is interested in.

People are still able to post their reviews right? So why does that bother you?

Finally this isn't you website so if they want to post reviews then that is what will happen. No matter how much you think the world of reviewing revolves around you.
    Real-time...weapon change?
  • LSDintensityLSDintensity126,433
    Posted on 07 November 11 at 08:22
    Impossible eh? Go play the first MegaMan...
  • Phoenix C64Phoenix C64289,352
    Posted on 07 November 11 at 09:41, Edited on 07 November 11 at 09:46 by Phoenix C64
    nicely written review, but i find it real unfair that TA staff can announce their reviews on the frontpage, while other reviewers can't.

I agree with Cormac on this one.

EastX said:
    Second, no one cares whether or not you're personally interested in the game. He didn't write the review for you alone; he wrote it for the general TA audience. And of course TA reviews should be given prominence over user reviews - they're part of the staff's output. Game publishers would be silly to provide review copies to a site that gives user reviews equal prominence.
    when it comes to reviews and solutions, this site is totally democratic. the user votes will decide which review/solution is best.

by putting his review on the front page, he is giving the review a prominence and head start on votes which is as unfair as cheating a countries president vote system.
    Nerd Rage: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=280
  • Posted on 07 November 11 at 13:21
    I'd just like to take a second to step in here for a quick word from the Newshounds.

First and foremost, we completely understand that some community members might be a little upset that staff reviews are getting put on the front page. We would NEVER want to devalue the contributions of our community.

With that in mind, the News team is trying to leverage a more "legitimate" presence with developers and publishers. As you've no doubt seen over the past few weeks, we've been offering a lot more contests and giveaways. This is a small part of the establishment of those relationships. As we continue to build these roads, we hope to get (someday) advance review copies of games so that we can be a bit more like other game sites. We are much more likely to get review copies if we have (quote/unquote) "professional, staff" reviews on our front page. It's an unfortunate fact of the business.

In short summation, we had a lot of internal discussion about doing reviews and understand the consternation of some of our community members. In the end, we (the news team) are trying to grow the site's presence and "Get TA out there" a bit more, which, in the end, is great for all of us.
    In Soviet Russia, game plays you!
    Posted on 07 November 11 at 13:37, Edited on 07 November 11 at 13:38 by Phoenix C64
    osubluejacket said:
    I'd just like to take a second to step in here for a quick word from the Newshounds.
    well, there are plenty of negative things that come to my mind when reading all this...
    let's see:
    First and foremost, we completely understand that some community members might be a little upset that staff reviews are getting put on the front page. We would NEVER want to devalue the contributions of our community.
    but you're doing EXACTLY that. why would anyone want to write a review for a game that has a review on the frontpage with already 10+ votes?
    you're discouraging review writers totally by doing this.
    With that in mind, the News team is trying to leverage a more "legitimate" presence with developers and publishers. As you've no doubt seen over the past few weeks, we've been offering a lot more contests and giveaways. This is a small part of the establishment of those relationships. As we continue to build these roads, we hope to get (someday) advance review copies of games so that we can be a bit more like other game sites. We are much more likely to get review copies if we have (quote/unquote) "professional, staff" reviews on our front page. It's an unfortunate fact of the business.
    so, let's say review writers keep doing their stuff... you have a review on the frontpage and some other reviewer has written his and gotten much more votes. fantastic, right? well, not for the developer you want to "bribe" by putting his game review on the frontpage, because he will notice that there are better reviews, which are not on the frontpage and i doubt he's gonna like that.
    In short summation, we had a lot of internal discussion about doing reviews and understand the consternation of some of our community members. In the end, we (the news team) are trying to grow the site's presence and "Get TA out there" a bit more, which, in the end, is great for all of us.
    yeah, we all have seen what happens when "TA gets out there"... brazillian dickheads registering different hacked accounts day after day (example: GoW3 1000GS, or same guy registering accounts during a whole week profiles that earned 10K chievos in 1 day), just to piss us off and make the staff work more.

so, in short: either you're discouraging regular review writers to keep doing their job, or you can get the whole thing backfired if your review is not the best one and all for what? to get more people to the site and get free early review releases for a select few people?
  • Posted on 07 November 11 at 14:13
    I'm not sure why it's such a big deal. Almost every gaming site has staff reviews on the front page.
    When life gives Chuck Norris lemons, he makes orange juice
    Posted on 07 November 11 at 14:24
    OfficerBarbrady said:
    I'm not sure why it's such a big deal. Almost every gaming site has staff reviews on the front page.
    because those sites dont have regular member reviews with a voting system that now is screwed thx to frontpage announcing certain reviews but not others.
  • Posted on 07 November 11 at 14:26
    Phoenix C64 said:
    OfficerBarbrady said:
    because those sites dont have regular member reviews with a voting system that now is screwed thx to frontpage announcing certain reviews but not others.
    Yes, they do: Giant Bomb

That's all I'll say on the matter.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 07 November 11 at 14:32
    Phoenix C64 said:
    OfficerBarbrady said:
    His review is 8 and 2...that's not exactly what I'd call screwed. You need to chill out.
    Removal of the eyes, gives my heart a saddened chill.
  • Posted on 07 November 11 at 15:11
    Seems I'm a bit late to my own party but I'd just like to reiterate some points made. While I understand what you mean when questioning our staff reviews, you don't need to worry. Firstly, our staff reviews aren't automatically put in the list of reviews for any given game. I put mine into the reviews section after because I spent a lot of time playing the game and working on the review. I wanted it to join the other two reviews I have written for TA in general, not as staff.

As DoT stated, we aren't the only site that allows user reviews and whatnot, but the bottom line is the best reviews will get noticed no matter what. As a staff member, I have always been able to see clearly that our community here on TA is so strong and I'm very grateful to write news for this site.

However, in order for us to continue to have giveaways, interviews, competitions - all that good stuff, we need to evolve from what began as, essentially, a fan site, to something more "legitimate" in the eyes of developers and publishers in order to keep getting these opportunities to share with the community. Part of that is giving "official" site staff scores to games just like you'd see on IGN, Giant Bomb, or anywhere else.

It doesn't marginalize what the community does here. The bounty of reviews, solutions, forum topics, it's all part of a very strong, close community. With our reviews on the front page, it isn't saying "Ours is better than yours." It's saying "Let's all progress this site together...and get free stuff."
  • MH The RockstarMH The Rockstar1,188,450
    Posted on 07 November 11 at 17:06
    Difficulty level does not bother me - if a game is beyond my skill level then so be it. I don't like it when a hard game makes life harder with poor controls though. After getting excited for this game from all the info on this site, I was quite eager to try the demo. What a turd... it looks absolutely beautiful but that's about all I can say for it. Maybe the narration - always like Patrick Stewart's voice.

If I decide to pick this up, it will be a dotw purchase at best.
  • Fuu PhoenixFuu Phoenix172,338
    Posted on 07 November 11 at 17:37
    R3NEG4D3 said:
    OfficerBarbrady said:
    R3NEG4D3 said:
    OfficerBarbrady said:
    R3NEG4D3 said:
    DL CyberSkull said:
    I'd buy it if they fixed the controls.
    People would buy it, if it didn't have hard achievements...Lets be honest now. cry
    I'm all for difficulty, but when the main reason it's difficult is because of the broken controls, then I'm going to stay far away from it. I'd rather it be challenging, not frustrating.
    If this game completely sucked and the controls sucked, but you could get 200/200 in an hour, nobody would Bi*** about the controls.
    Well of course, because it wouldn't be frustrating. From what I have heard, this game has broken controls and the enemies are unfair. Frustration =/= Fun.
    I respect your opinion, but you obviously didn't play games in the 1980's or the early 90's.
    I did. And I, for one, don't miss the old days of games being punishing and unfair.
    Take flight, and strike from the heavens
  • MatrarchMatrarch1,382,876
    Posted on 07 November 11 at 17:42, Edited on 07 November 11 at 17:46 by Matrarch
    Also in reply to the official reviews sentiment. Believe me, we're giving a lot of thought to how to best mix official reviews with community reviews. This site is built off the strength of its community and we've certainly not forgotten that. Also remember, while we are staff here, we're volunteer and still very much involved in the community as a whole. We're involved with the community in ways that most staffs at other sites aren't. Believe me, you're foremost on our minds with whatever we do.

Also, as NPB points out, reviews help us establish relationships with developers and publishers so that we can continue to have awesome items to give away to you all!

Official reviews on TA is very much a work-in-progress. If you do have any thoughts or concerns though, please feel free to fire me a PM and let me know what's on your mind!
  • Posted on 07 November 11 at 19:55
    Phoenix C64 said:
    but you're doing EXACTLY that. why would anyone want to write a review for a game that has a review on the frontpage with already 10+ votes?
    you're discouraging review writers totally by doing this.
    Are you joking? People don't want to write something if someone already 10+ votes? If people actually do this, that has to be as dumb as the kid who takes his ball and runs off the playground when he starts losing.

If something is good, people with a brain can realize that without looking at the number of votes. But if impressing the people who think more=better is important, then yeah I guess you're screwed.
    Real-time...weapon change?
  • Posted on 07 November 11 at 22:29
    Phoenix C64 said:
    so, in short: either you're discouraging regular review writers to keep doing their job, or you can get the whole thing backfired if your review is not the best one and all for what? to get more people to the site and get free early review releases for a select few people?
    Are you completely serious? Are people on rottentomatoes discouraged to voice their opinion because there is a professional site opinion at the top above all others? No. This review is well written and valued by not only myself but 99% of people who have commented. People always find a reason to complain... If you like to review do it, else don't. Simple.
  • Flynn423Flynn423499,145
    Posted on 10 July 12 at 23:35
    I bought this on day one and have never played for much the same reason I never dated women that believed in abstinence. What's the point?

If they revisit it and fix, maybe more people will buy it over time, and those of us who already did will get our happy ending :)
    Flynn
  • bobby trippebobby trippe447,563
    Posted on 07 March 13 at 06:17
    grex9101 said:
    Is this game "hard" for us pandered to 2011 gamers?

What I mean is, had this been released 15-20 years ago would the sane complaints be getting raised? I'm sure nobody would disagree with me that games,in general, are getting easier..
    No, this is not as bad as some of the crap we had to deal with. It is still challenging though and with the big two achievements, that adds another dimension.And now really, it is only one tough one due to a discovered trick.
    Basically it is asking to complete the game with no deaths. Some older games would be impossible to do that with. The first thought that comes to mind would be Castlevania. If that game had a requirement of 0 damage/deaths, oh man! The game that this would really be similar to would be the original Mario going from level 1 to 8 and taking no damage. Taking your time, knowing the enemies and the levels and practice=success.
  • bobby trippebobby trippe447,563
    Posted on 07 March 13 at 06:36, Edited on 15 March 13 at 05:28 by bobby trippe
    Fuu Phoenix said:
    R3NEG4D3 said:
    OfficerBarbrady said:
    R3NEG4D3 said:
    OfficerBarbrady said:
    R3NEG4D3 said:
    DL CyberSkull said:
    I'd buy it if they fixed the controls.
    People would buy it, if it didn't have hard achievements...Lets be honest now. cry
    I'm all for difficulty, but when the main reason it's difficult is because of the broken controls, then I'm going to stay far away from it. I'd rather it be challenging, not frustrating.
    If this game completely sucked and the controls sucked, but you could get 200/200 in an hour, nobody would Bi*** about the controls.
    Well of course, because it wouldn't be frustrating. From what I have heard, this game has broken controls and the enemies are unfair. Frustration =/= Fun.
    I respect your opinion, but you obviously didn't play games in the 1980's or the early 90's.
    I did. And I, for one, don't miss the old days of games being punishing and unfair.
    There is a little trick to the controls. In the options menu, the run button is labeled as an X and jump is A. That sucks! However, you can actually use the RT to run too. I did not know that until later on and it was SO easy.

This game is challenging. Period. I did not find the controls to be an issue after I learned the RT trick. The character does not move slow either, it is just that the view is so far away.

If you read the original story, the character spends most of his time during the Martian invasion hiding. Keep that in mind when playing this that most of the danger and deaths in this game are the result of trying to move too quickly when you should be waiting. The enemies are not what is unfair. Rather it is our own weaknesses as people; impatience, frustration and lack of focus. All of which I possess and this game magnifies.

Anyway, I enjoyed the game and worked really hard for all the achievements. The only thing I wish would have been different was the ability to skip cutscenes. I did take advantage of those moments by reading The War of the Worlds. Oh, and that one part with the dangling electrical cords, that part was frustrating and not fun.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.