Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Review: Now That's What I Call Sing

• punkyliarpunkyliar220,667
  • AwooAwoo1,808,082
    Posted on 30 October 15 at 20:26
    Seems like a high score considering the pretty severe negative points. I'm also not sure why I read this review. Why am I here?
    What can change the nature of a man?
  • Team BretherTeam Brether1,215,658
    Posted on 30 October 15 at 20:36, Edited on 01 November 15 at 13:56 by Team Brether
    Edited as comment no longer relevant.
  • Fire Hawk DFire Hawk D1,778,773
    Posted on 30 October 15 at 20:44
    RazorPriest said:Seems like a high score considering the pretty severe negative points. I'm also not sure why I read this review. Why am I here?It's a lot of fun, even with those negatives. So, I could understand the score.
  • SambarineSambarine1,001,704
    Posted on 30 October 15 at 20:49, Edited on 30 October 15 at 20:51 by Sambarine
    If the achievements are doable I might won't get this wink . Also if you keep using let it go jokes you'll be stuck with them ...maybe even frozen to them smile
  • The MascalThe Mascal1,945,024
    Posted on 30 October 15 at 21:09
    I have the singing abilities of a tone-deaf elephant, yet I was the first to complete this game. Nothing that a bit of creative humming and a tone generator can't beat.
    Beer.
  • Posted on 30 October 15 at 21:27
    That title really gets under my skin. It should be called "Now That's What I Call Singing."
  • Pete5683Pete56831,087,725
    Posted on 30 October 15 at 22:22
    So, I usually appreciate the author's reviews, but I feel this is notably unfair, so thought I'd add some support to https://www.trueachievements.com/Mr+Mascal+77.htm 's earlier post.

I feel this review over-reflects on the perceived negatives of the game, I'm disappointed there's no note at all of positive attributes of it. Was the game played as someone who might enjoy it, or forced as someone had to review it?

Specifically, your feedback on the game's scoring of high notes is plain wrong. As https://www.trueachievements.com/Mr+Mascal+77.htm , myself and my family can attest, the game picks up tone and content perfectly well. I agree that words are not tracked, but wonder how advanced the technology would need to be to achieve this?

"Those with little singing ability will not be able to complete this title." Disagree. I'm a 32-year old IT guy with zero artistic scale, I nailed this in a weekend. This review should cater to the expected market (that is, families / parties) and yet acknowledge that for the core concept of the game, reflecting singing to a song in tone / time, it delivers a strong performance, especially commendable for the first XB1 singing game, as you kindly noted.

Final sub-note - I achieved
    NOW That's What I Call SingIdolThe Idol achievement in NOW That's What I Call Sing worth 361 pointsGet a score over 120,000 points
    with Sia's Chandelier, as the achievement guide noted. I don't think the game taught me to sing, rather that I practiced to become reasonable enough to get 120k.
    Posted on 30 October 15 at 22:33
    Pete5683 said:Specifically, your feedback on the game's scoring of high notes is plain wrong. As Mr Mascal 77 , myself and my family can attest, the game picks up tone and content perfectly well. I agree that words are not tracked, but wonder how advanced the technology would need to be to achieve this?Honestly, I am pleased that you had no trouble. However, I tried three different microphones and a gaming headset. None of these could pick up notes above a certain pitch, nor could they pick up notes below a certain pitch. I am also not the only person to have this issue -- it has been noted in other reviews. I'm afraid that it isn't "plain wrong".

Pete5683 said:"Those with little singing ability will not be able to complete this title." Disagree. I'm a 32-year old IT guy with zero artistic scale, I nailed this in a weekend. This review should cater to the expected market (that is, families / parties) and yet acknowledge that for the core concept of the game, reflecting singing to a song in tone / time, it delivers a strong performance, especially commendable for the first XB1 singing game, as you kindly noted.The review did all of this, but I'm afraid that I can't agree with you on the strong performance due to the issue noted above. Also, by his own admission, Mr Mascal 77 used a tone generator. I'm pretty sure that a tone generator isn't the expected market either. To clarify that point, our reviews take natural play into account. We don't comment on the ease of completion for boosting, tone generators, turbo controllers, or any other means that are created solely for the ease of getting achievements.
    Posted on 30 October 15 at 22:55, Edited on 30 October 15 at 23:04 by Pete5683
    punkyliar said:Pete5683 said:Specifically, your feedback on the game's scoring of high notes is plain wrong. As Mr Mascal 77 , myself and my family can attest, the game picks up tone and content perfectly well. I agree that words are not tracked, but wonder how advanced the technology would need to be to achieve this?Honestly, I am pleased that you had no trouble. However, I tried three different microphones and a gaming headset. None of these could pick up notes above a certain pitch, nor could they pick up notes below a certain pitch. I am also not the only person to have this issue -- it has been noted in other reviews. I'm afraid that it isn't "plain wrong".

Pete5683 said:"Those with little singing ability will not be able to complete this title." Disagree. I'm a 32-year old IT guy with zero artistic scale, I nailed this in a weekend. This review should cater to the expected market (that is, families / parties) and yet acknowledge that for the core concept of the game, reflecting singing to a song in tone / time, it delivers a strong performance, especially commendable for the first XB1 singing game, as you kindly noted.The review did all of this, but I'm afraid that I can't agree with you on the strong performance due to the issue noted above. Also, by his own admission, Mr Mascal 77 used a tone generator. I'm pretty sure that a tone generator isn't the expected market either. To clarify that point, our reviews take natural play into account. We don't comment on the ease of completion for boosting, tone generators, turbo controllers, or any other means that are created solely for the ease of getting achievements.
    Are you reviewing the game, or re-iterating media comments? Readers are here for your thoughts, not for you to state what you read on other sites.

I don't wish to challenge, but the feel of your review was that it wasn't as a player who would likely immerse themselves in this game. I have never asked my cat to review dog food, does this help?

I'm grateful for Mr Mascal 77 's honesty regarding his completion - I can assure you I have no idea what a tone generator is, nor does my wife (# 7 completion this afternoon, Angry Mum).

I don't dispute your experience, but this is a site review, not just your experience, of a clearly party / family articulated game, and makes specific performance comments that in no way reflect my experience, and want to share this reflection with the community.

* edit - spelling / grammar
    Posted on 30 October 15 at 23:40
    As I mentioned above, I am pleased that you had a better experience than I did. However, you've just raised a couple of points that need clarifying.

Pete5683 said:Are you reviewing the game, or re-iterating media comments? Readers are here for your thoughts, not for you to state what you read on other sites.For the record, I nor any of the other reviewers have ever copied other reviews. My reviews are my thoughts, just like all of the reviews on here are the thoughts of the respective authors. We do not plagiarise.

Pete5683 said:I don't dispute your experience, but this is a site review, not just your experience, of a clearly party / family articulated game.There is no such thing as a "site review". A review can only ever be the opinions of the reviewer in question and can only ever be based on their experience. This review has to be based on my experience; to expect us to read the minds of other people and comment on their experience is to expect the impossible.
    Posted on 30 October 15 at 23:59
    Thank you for your honest feedback PL, I'm very grateful.

I've not accused your of plagiarism / stealing reviews. I have pointed that you made a point once, and when challenged for evidence, told me "it has been noted in other reviews". I'm not reading your review for what other people think , they're not relevant in this context.

Regarding your site review comment, this was noted on the homepage as, ""TA Review of nnn game". There is no disclaimer to your personal opinion / not the opinion of the site, so respectfully, Yes, this is the epitome of a site review. This review is the site's stance on this game, and whilst I wouldn't expect you to second guess every user on earth, to consider the gamers who would likely try this game rather than focus solely on your own perspective doesn't seem unreasonable?

I am grateful for your guide in that it is provoking - I'm intending to add a review for the game to clarify an alternative experience to your own, so feel it has definitely helped drive attention.

Thank you again for your thoughts & feedback on my own.
  • New ParalyzerNew Paralyzer1,194,958
    Posted on 31 October 15 at 00:40
    This game appears to be a bastardized version of Playstations Singstar and has nothing on Lips.
  • destinywarsdestinywars798,687
    Posted on 31 October 15 at 01:04
    Another purchase beckons :)
  • Redd FiveRedd Five912,880
    Posted on 31 October 15 at 01:08
    I can't get past the Engrish title.
  • Groudon199Groudon199695,352
    Posted on 31 October 15 at 14:41
    Static vocals, huh? Is scrolling too difficult for developers who aren't Harmonix or don't work for Activision to implement?
  • EastXEastX502,023
    Posted on 31 October 15 at 14:58
    Pete5683 said:Regarding your site review comment, this was noted on the homepage as, ""TA Review of nnn game". There is no disclaimer to your personal opinion / not the opinion of the site, so respectfully, Yes, this is the epitome of a site review. This review is the site's stance on this game, and whilst I wouldn't expect you to second guess every user on earth, to consider the gamers who would likely try this game rather than focus solely on your own perspective doesn't seem unreasonable?This is nonsense. Most of your complaints are silly. It's fine that you disagree with the guy, but there's no need to pick on him.
    -Paul Acevedo, Windows Central
  • Posted on 31 October 15 at 20:06
    Pete5683 said:Regarding your site review comment, this was noted on the homepage as, ""TA Review of nnn game". There is no disclaimer to your personal opinion / not the opinion of the site, so respectfully, Yes, this is the epitome of a site review. This review is the site's stance on this game, and whilst I wouldn't expect you to second guess every user on earth, to consider the gamers who would likely try this game rather than focus solely on your own perspective doesn't seem unreasonable?For the record, yes, this is unreasonable.

A review is a critical assessment of the quality of a game from the writer's perspective. To ask a critic to consider EVERY PERSPECTIVE OUT THERE would homogenize that criticism to a point where the review is no longer a review. Not to mention it's a nigh impossible task to ask a critic to consider every view point under the sun before filing a review. For example:

One person may not care about graphics - So the critic shouldn't consider graphics in their review?

One person may not care about story - So the critic shouldn't consider story in their review?

One person may not care about social implications - So the critic should ignore any social issues the game might bring forward?

One person may not care about poor controls in a game - So the critic should ignore controls?

One person may not care about a badly designed interface - So the critic shouldn't hold that against a game?

To clarify: A REVIEW IS ONE PERSON'S OPINION. To ask someone to write with multiple perspectives is a fool's errand.
  • TDiddyTDiddy588,868
    Posted on 31 October 15 at 22:00
    Just want to make one correction. It's not the only karaoke game on the Xbox One. There is also a little game called Rock Band 4. If you only want to sing, then you can do it. It even has harmonies!
    Posted on 01 November 15 at 00:17
    EastX said:Pete5683 said:Regarding your site review comment, this was noted on the homepage as, ""TA Review of nnn game". There is no disclaimer to your personal opinion / not the opinion of the site, so respectfully, Yes, this is the epitome of a site review. This review is the site's stance on this game, and whilst I wouldn't expect you to second guess every user on earth, to consider the gamers who would likely try this game rather than focus solely on your own perspective doesn't seem unreasonable?This is nonsense. Most of your complaints are silly. It's fine that you disagree with the guy, but there's no need to pick on him.Her, EastX . I don't pick on her, but "the game doesn't detect high notes" is inaccurate, and saying "someone else said it too" doesn't justify it.

@obj (long comment, won't stretch the response by including all) - let me clarify my intent on this comment; I wouldn't review an American Football game because it's not my forte / audience; hence I wouldn't slate this game on my own unfair expectations. Your above challenges are completely valid, but separate to my concerns on this piece - the above are intrinsic to a game content, better worded they're generically applicable. Challenging "COD shooting mechanics are terrible" when I rarely play an FPS is the best analogy I can come with, does this help / clarify?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.