Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Initial Backwards Compatible Titles Revealed

AuthorMessage
BardinAeducan
Posted on 15 November 15 at 13:46, Edited on 15 November 15 at 13:56 by BardinAeducan
Evil Kenivl said:Chakaal Starr said:Evil Kenivl said:@HolyHa1fDead Ok... I was already wondering but its like i has written!

@Chakaal Starr
Yes the article says that but like i already told its working.
And i think it will be in future like that...
For example: All the people that can download the Gears games for owning the Ultimate edt and dont own the 360 discs. After download all those people will be able to play them WITHOUT the 360 retail discs. I cant imagine you need the Ultimate edition disc in the console for starting the old games...

In case of Fallout 3 i only needed to upload my save games into the cloud.
After installing fallout 3 i started it and a window popped up saying something like:
Collecting System Information for Xbox 360
After that i was able to enjoy the game without any problems (and without the disc)

Anyway we will se how it turns out during next ays/weeks...

But thanks for answering above toast
Didn't the people who own the ultimate edition get all the bc gears games free? Their digital licence would have covered that. I didn't get that or when it was free, and Gears of war judgement says 'do you own this game or app, if you have game disc, insert it now'
Yes they get the games for free right... And thats the point! I mean... For example...

I have a friend at work who owns a PS4 and since a few days he bought an Xbox One ONLY to play the Gears of War Ultimate Collection! (No joke) Now i told him he will recieve the codes soon so he can download the other gears games...

You know what i mean!? He never has had the retail discs for any gears game so its impossible for him to "put the disc in the console" ;-)

Another example... Someone else i know never played DIRT 3! (shock i know)
Now he downloaded it on his Xbox 360 AND on the Xbox One...
You see it!? Same thing... NO retail disc! But he can play it!!!

And on the other side that would mean that everbody that download a game with gold game for FREE is in need to BUY the retail disc AGAIN for plaing it on the One!? That wolud be... Pretty ...!

So actually the whole thing is confusing. I hope that MS will update it again so that if you really own the retail disc you only need it for the installation. Everything else you once paid for appears in your download list!

One more question to the others... Do you have THIS PROBLEM!?

Evertime when i DELETE the Achievement App from my PIN`s section it automatic comes back after few seconds angry
But its only the damn achievement app. Everything else works like it sholud and STAYS where i want to have it. Thanks forward...
Actually all of your examples make perfect sense, I'll explain why. Getting codes for the other Gears games because of the Gears of War Ultimate Collection is a promo offer for playing during a certain time frame, it's even mentioned in an article on the front page of this site.

Digital games do not need a disc and have been stated as such from the very beginning when it was announced because there's a license for a full copy of the game already tied to the account. That's why the person you know with DIRT 3 can play it on Xbox One without the disc. This is also why they've always said that digital games will show up in the ready to install area because you already have a license for the digital copy tied to your account.

Disc-based games will need to be in the console because it's an ownership check to keep people from installing the game and selling the physical copy. This is quite likely to never change since the way it's set up is that you're only supposed to be able to install a digital copy of a backwards compatible game by owning it in one form or the other, either digital or physical. It's not really any different than any Xbox One disc-based game, both install the entire game to the hard drive and require the disc to verify ownership. Only difference between the two is one installs it from disc and the other downloads it.
GT: BardinAeducan Goal: 50,000 in RPGs - 535/50,000
russolini77
296,254
russolini77
Posted on 15 November 15 at 14:56
is it just me or do backwards compatible 360 titles actually look better/sharper? Sometimes the framerate seems different, too... sadly, not always for the better...
HolyHalfDead
441,100
HolyHalfDead
Posted on 15 November 15 at 19:13, Edited on 16 November 15 at 04:12 by HolyHalfDead
Evil Kenivl said:The article says you need the disc anyway.N0T PENNYS B0AT said:As a reminder, any backwards compatible digital games you've previously purchased will appear in your available games library, ready to download, when you update your Xbox starting on the 12th. ... You will still need to disc to play it, however.I'm pretty sure it is this paragraph of the TA news item that is causing the confusion. The last sentance should be read as "You will still need the disc to play physical copies, however."

I hope that makes it clearer.
He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
Chris1984uk
854,527
Chris1984uk
Posted on 15 November 15 at 19:28
So how do we get DLC for the games that have them?
BardinAeducan
Posted on 15 November 15 at 19:33
Chris1984uk said:So how do we get DLC for the games that have them?If you have the DLC already just go into the manage game screen and you can install it from there. If you don't have the DLC already then you'll have to go to xbox.com, or to your Xbox 360, and buy it through there. They don't have an Xbox 360 store yet on the Xbox One for BC titles but I've seen it mentioned by either Phil Spencer or Mike Ybarra, can't remember which, that it was something they were looking at adding later on.
GT: BardinAeducan Goal: 50,000 in RPGs - 725/50,000
Chris1984uk
854,527
Chris1984uk
Posted on 15 November 15 at 20:42
BardinAeducan said:Chris1984uk said:So how do we get DLC for the games that have them?If you have the DLC already just go into the manage game screen and you can install it from there. If you don't have the DLC already then you'll have to go to xbox.com, or to your Xbox 360, and buy it through there. They don't have an Xbox 360 store yet on the Xbox One for BC titles but I've seen it mentioned by either Phil Spencer or Mike Ybarra, can't remember which, that it was something they were looking at adding later on.Sweet, thanks for the quick response!
Chakaal Starr
341,121
Chakaal Starr
Posted on 15 November 15 at 22:16
Evil Kenivl said:Chakaal Starr said:[

Didn't the people who own the ultimate edition get all the bc gears games free? Their digital licence would have covered that. I didn't get that or when it was free, and Gears of war judgement says 'do you own this game or app, if you have game disc, insert it now'
Yes they get the games for free right... And thats the point! I mean... For example...

I have a friend at work who owns a PS4 and since a few days he bought an Xbox One ONLY to play the Gears of War Ultimate Collection! (No joke) Now i told him he will recieve the codes soon so he can download the other gears games...

You know what i mean!? He never has had the retail discs for any gears game so its impossible for him to "put the disc in the console" ;-)

Another example... Someone else i know never played DIRT 3! (shock i know)
Now he downloaded it on his Xbox 360 AND on the Xbox One...
You see it!? Same thing... NO retail disc! But he can play it!!!

And on the other side that would mean that everbody that download a game with gold game for FREE is in need to BUY the retail disc AGAIN for plaing it on the One!? That wolud be... Pretty ...!

So actually the whole thing is confusing. I hope that MS will update it again so that if you really own the retail disc you only need it for the installation. Everything else you once paid for appears in your download list!

One more question to the others... Do you have THIS PROBLEM!?

Evertime when i DELETE the Achievement App from my PIN`s section it automatic comes back after few seconds angry
But its only the damn achievement app. Everything else works like it sholud and STAYS where i want to have it. Thanks forward...
If you buy a game digitally, you don't need a disk. If you buy the game on disk, you need a disk.

Games for gold is considered buying digitally, you are purchasing it for zero dollars in that case. The gears ultimate promotion added those back comp games without a code, just like ODST was added if you start halo master chief before a certain date.

It works the same as xbox one titles, if you grabbed tomb raider definitive edition when it was games for gold for xb1(or bought it digitally), you don't need a disk, but if only bought it in the local gamestop, then you would need a disk.

Your thoughts was how the xbox one was originally designed. Back before it was released, the plan was to put the disk in for installation only. However, the internet freaked out because they didn't like that Microsoft had a check in system so that people wouldn't install it then immediately give away the disk. They did mention that you would be able to trade your titles(including digital purchases) but people didn't like that they had to be friends with a person for 30 days to trade. So Microsoft reversed the convenience approach to the traditional if you buy a disk version, the disk is needed vs an electronic check in that would have been invisible in the background.

I never pinned it, so I don't have that issue with the achievement app, you may like to report that one to Microsoft. Tweet them at @xboxsupport
ChrisChros87
99,620
ChrisChros87
Posted on 17 November 15 at 17:11
I still have my 360 even though its not been booted up for a year. Id probably just go on that for most of the titles, saves hassle of the cloud, downloading etc

All seems pretty straight forward but my question is - if we take, borderlands for example. on the 360 i have 850 GS, would that then pop when loading onto the one? or would i have to unlock them again?

more importantly (to me anyway!), if i was to pop them one the one, then went back to the 360 would they show up retrospectively, or would the 360 show up as a separate version?

another way of looking at it is would borderlands show up just the once on my games list or twice like GTA V and BF4?

Im sure I could have worded my question better but hopefully you understand what im getting at!
alklein92201
487,566
alklein92201
Posted on 17 November 15 at 17:49
They don't have separate lists, so there's nothing to pop. You'll have 850GS booting it on the One, but it's achievements you already had so it isn't going to add to your score. It's still the 360 game, just a different piece of hardware. You are running it on a 360 emulator and everything. Unlike GTA and Battlefield, where it is two games on two platforms.
ChrisChros87
99,620
ChrisChros87
Posted on 17 November 15 at 17:59
So anything I unlock, ie in games challenges etc on the one 'should' then show on the 360 if I was to go back?

I'm probably worrying over nothing. Any bc titles I play on the one will be anything I've hardly played or even started (more than I should!)
alklein92201
487,566
alklein92201
Posted on 17 November 15 at 19:32
They will short of any problems with LIVE, but yes that's exactly how it works. Just like playing on one 360, then playing on another.
ChrisChros87
99,620
ChrisChros87
Posted on 17 November 15 at 19:39
thanks, i thought that would be the case, just wanted to clarify toast
HolyHalfDead
441,100
HolyHalfDead
Posted on 17 November 15 at 20:16, Edited on 17 November 15 at 20:20 by HolyHalfDead
You know I might not have picked up Treasures of the Sun for Dungeon Siege III in this weeks sale (never been on sale before) if it wasn't for the fact I can play it on the Xbox One as well.

All those Zumba games are never going to be backward compatible.
He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
Chakaal Starr
341,121
Chakaal Starr
Posted on 17 November 15 at 23:19
ChrisChros87 said:So anything I unlock, ie in games challenges etc on the one 'should' then show on the 360 if I was to go back?

I'm probably worrying over nothing. Any bc titles I play on the one will be anything I've hardly played or even started (more than I should!)
As long as you are using cloud saves, it is just like switching back and forth between a couple of xbox 360's
Aeris7117
13,166
Aeris7117
Posted on 18 November 15 at 07:22
DarthFracas said:I'm sure more people were demanding NBA Jam and Crazy Taxi than Halo Reach and Fable 3Right? I was disappointed not to see all of Fable on there. They could have put a little more thought into what they added from certain series.
~Aeris~
MC0REBE
463,238
MC0REBE
Posted on 18 November 15 at 12:29
Oddworld X said:H?

SCROLL DOWN TO H

H H H H

COME ON H COME ON H COM- GAAAAAAAAAH JESUS CHRIST cry
laugh
Chakaal Starr
341,121
Chakaal Starr
Posted on 18 November 15 at 15:14, Edited on 18 November 15 at 15:14 by Chakaal Starr
Aerismaru711 said:DarthFracas said:I'm sure more people were demanding NBA Jam and Crazy Taxi than Halo Reach and Fable 3Right? I was disappointed not to see all of Fable on there. They could have put a little more thought into what they added from certain series.I was happy to see nba jam over fable and halo. Ms already said all 1st party are coming, so that just shows more are on the way by all halo and fable not being on that list.
CrispEddie 3
19,398
CrispEddie 3
Posted on 20 November 15 at 07:03, Edited on 20 November 15 at 07:04 by CrispEddie 3
I put in Borderlands the day before yesterday, the GOTY and only installed the main disc. Somehow it downloaded all the DCL too. How is that possible? Anyway, having a great time with it and everything seems to be working just fine.
Sol76
605,341
Sol76
Posted on 20 November 15 at 11:07
BC Borderlands came standard with all the dlc built in.

But did anyone experience problems with GOW 2 dlc. Even though I'm sure I did buy them , and even got achievements for both packs , they want to charge me for downloading them again. Snowblind and Dark Corners map pack are both ready to buy instead of ready to download again.
ronald84
322,593
ronald84
Posted on 20 November 15 at 15:01
question right here, i own the european version of Wolfenstein 3D, how do i get the USA version to download on xbox1?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.