Windows

Forum for general Windows discussion. Come here to talk about everything associated with the OS, from games to apps to updates.

GFWL That Require Product CD Keys - Listed (Games For Windows Live)

• Posted on 16 November 15 at 21:00, Edited on 19 August 17 at 16:36 by BulgyDragonZord
    Been looking around for a list on TA but it doesn't look as though there isn't one so I've taken the liberty to create one to help you guys.

I've created a thread that contains all of the GFWL games with achievements that require a CD Key (also known as a Product Key), in order for the game to be playable either in just the multiplayer section, or both single player and multiplayer.

I will list the games in sections to make things easier for yourself, but some of them may need confirming. I will also note which games have a standard and GOTY (Game Of The Year Edition) and any game that has de-listed items, server shutdowns or discontinued/unobtainable achievements.

I will also place the place differently on the list if they have CD Keys that can be used once or if they can be used multiple times. Using a CD Key more than once is called a Legacy CD Key. If you wish to see the page which has more details than this, here is a link...

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_Games_for_Windows_-_LIV...

As suggested by Awoo. For a guarantee chance in getting achievements in GFWL titles, you should consider purchasing the GFWL Version of the title you are looking for (some can be rare and expensive). You must also be-aware that some games have been moved over to Steamworks and could possibly affect your achievement stats and progress should you decide to update your game. GFWL titles should have this displayed on top of their box art

As commented by https://www.trueachievements.com/CREATINE+FRE4K.htm

"I would like you to add to this thread a warning for all readers. The warning is that if you upgrade to Windows 10, there may be large compatibility issues for many GFWL games".

GFWL Titles That Require CD Keys And Can Only Be Used Once

*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***

GFWL Titles That Require CD Keys But Are Legacy (Can Be Used More Than Once)

GFWL Titles That Don't Require CD Keys

Other Reasons

Special thanks to the following users who have assisted me with this thread: Awoo, Nomstuff, TRACKEY, Napathanes, FoldJarl308, stordoff, stordoff, gameaddict25, PARAcain, K1LL3R BEEZ, https://www.trueachievements.com/matdan12.htm, Sky Dragon 570, https://www.trueachievements.com/CREATINE+FRE4K.htm, Faalagorn, MrGompers, JumboWario, ThreeHaddock62

I hope this list will come into good use as I've put a bit of time into it to get it done. If you believe there is a way this can be improved or if you notice a mistake or an idea which needs to be created/corrected, please let me know in the comments below. Thank you!
  • Posted on 16 November 15 at 21:01
    Sending some friends this thread that I know that own PC games and could maybe help out wink
  • AwooAwoo2,219,959
    Posted on 16 November 15 at 21:04
    Dark Souls requires a key, much to my annoyance since mine is glitched and won't accept my key. Which is great since you need the GFWL disc version, which is becoming very rare and expensive.

On that note, it's definitely worth noting that some games (like Dark Souls) have been moved to Steamworks, and therefore require a GFWL disc to play and earn achievements in.
    What can change the nature of a man?
  • Posted on 16 November 15 at 21:17
    RazorPriest said:Dark Souls requires a key, much to my annoyance since mine is glitched and won't accept my key. Which is great since you need the GFWL disc version, which is becoming very rare and expensive.

On that note, it's definitely worth noting that some games (like Dark Souls) have been moved to Steamworks, and therefore require a GFWL disc to play and earn achievements in.
    We're on a roll. Thanks RazorPriest. I've moved Dark Souls to the top where it requires a CD Key and I've made note at the top of the page stating that users should look into finding retail discs that contain the GFWL logo on top of the box-art. I've also pre-warned about the Steamworks issue. I can expand this but I'll need to find a list of all the games that have been moved over to Steamworks and could affect achievements.

Your name has been credited to the page.
  • NomstuffNomstuff957,883
  • NapathanesNapathanes874,187
    Posted on 16 November 15 at 22:31, Edited on 26 November 15 at 03:17 by Napathanes
    Steam Version of

Dead Rising 2
    Dead Rising 2: Off the Record
    Ms Splosion Man
    iron Brigade

Have moved over to steam works. Disc version of each except Iron Brigade & Ms Splosion still have achievements.

Also Operation Flashpoint needs a cd key and once used get tied to the gamer tag that first used it, basically one use code
  • Posted on 16 November 15 at 23:03
    I've given TRACKEY credit because he's given me an update and I've moved Viva Piñata (PC) as that needs a CD Key.
  • Posted on 16 November 15 at 23:03
    Napathanes said:Steam Version of

Fallout 3
    Dead Rising 2
    Dead Rising 2: Off the Record
    Ms Splosion Man
    iron Brigade

Have moved over to steam works. Disc version of each except Iron Brigade & Ms Splosion still have achievements.

Also Operation Flashpoint needs a cd key and once used get tied to the gamer tag that first used it, basically one use code
    Thanks Napa, I've given you credit in the thread as well. Do you know if Ms. Splosion Man and Iron Brigade needed CD Keys in order to play at the time?
    Posted on 16 November 15 at 23:18
    Your best bet is probably to separate into those that need a key, and those that need a specific key. Pinata will activate most of these games with it's key, as will fallout. Battle VS. Chess however wants a Battle VS. Chess key
  • stordoffstordoff1,083,120
    Posted on 16 November 15 at 23:54
    BulgyDragonZord said:Fallout 3 (PC) - You can only get 1000G on the standard retail disc. However you can get the full 1550G if you own the GOTY disc. DLC has been de-listed otherwise Not certain, but I'm pretty sure the ingame console can be used to unlock the DLC achievements even if you only own the base game.
  • gameaddict25gameaddict25413,421
    Posted on 17 November 15 at 03:14
    Nomstuff said:Your best bet is probably to separate into those that need a key, and those that need a specific key.^What he said, there are normal CD-keys that get attached to your gamertag and then there are legacy CD-keys which can be used on multiple games as long as those are legacy titles as well and a Legacy CD-key can be used roughly 15-20 times depending on the game/CD-key.

007: Quantum of Solace (PC) - Legacy title.
    Ace Combat: Assault Horizon (PC) - Unique CD-key, but even the retail copy uses Steamworks now if i remember correctly.
    Age of Empires Online (PC) - Absolutely no way to play this anymore seeing the master server got shut down.
    Battlestations: Pacific (PC) - Legacy title.
    BioShock 2 (PC) - Legacy title.
    BioShock 2 (RUS Ver) (PC) - Legacy title.
    BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger - Legacy title.
    Bulletstorm (PC) - Unique CD-key.
    Crash Time 4: The Syndicate (PC) - Unique CD-key.
    Dark Void (PC) - Retail and Steam copies don't use GFWL, only the GFWL marketplace version has achievements.
    DiRT 2 (PC) - Unique CD-key.
    DiRT 3 (PC) - Unique CD-key.

Will post some more later on, but it's 4 AM here while i'm typing this, so i'll leave it at this for now. sleep
  • sm182sm182841,515
    Posted on 17 November 15 at 09:50
    stordoff said:BulgyDragonZord said:Fallout 3 (PC) - You can only get 1000G on the standard retail disc. However you can get the full 1550G if you own the GOTY disc. DLC has been de-listed otherwise Not certain, but I'm pretty sure the ingame console can be used to unlock the DLC achievements even if you only own the base game.Yup I only own the CE of this game and got all DLC achievements via the console commands.
  • Posted on 17 November 15 at 20:29
    sm182 said:stordoff said:BulgyDragonZord said:Fallout 3 (PC) - You can only get 1000G on the standard retail disc. However you can get the full 1550G if you own the GOTY disc. DLC has been de-listed otherwise Not certain, but I'm pretty sure the ingame console can be used to unlock the DLC achievements even if you only own the base game.Yup I only own the CE of this game and got all DLC achievements via the console commands.Sorry if I sound idiotic but what does CE mean. Is that Collector's Edition or something simlilar?

On a side note I'm going to re-update this blog with a suggested method.
  • Posted on 17 November 15 at 20:56
    I've updated the blog and this time I've created 2 separate sections for if the CD Key can only be used once, or if it's a Legacy CD Key and can be used multiple times.

I've given credit to everyone above who has contributed to this thread.

FoldJarl308 sent me a PM stating that "all" of the GFWL titles need a CD Key. However he has provided me a website I can look into which should list all of GFWL that have CD Keys that can only be used once of Legacy...

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Category:Games

I'm going to check it right now and see if I can discover anything.
  • PARAcainPARAcain504,245
    Posted on 17 November 15 at 21:04
    The GOTY of Fallout 3 on Steam can still earn achievements on GFWL.
    ~ King Para
  • Posted on 17 November 15 at 21:41
    PARAcain said:The GOTY of Fallout 3 on Steam can still earn achievements on GFWL.Edited and credited. Thanks for that.
  • Posted on 17 November 15 at 21:44
    Phew! That's that. with the thanks to the PC Gaming Website...

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_Games_for_Windows_-_LIV...

I've managed to update the thread myself. Hopefully I've got it all correct but as stated, if you see any mistakes or a way to improve this, give me a shout.

Hopefully this'll make everyone's lives easier when they are continuing to search for GFWL titles.

Thank you everyone for helping me get this done! Good Luck!
  • Posted on 17 November 15 at 21:48
    I think I deserve a cup of tea laugh
    Posted on 17 November 15 at 22:22
    Batman: Arkham City (PC) - You can only get 1000G on the standard retail disc. However you can get the full 1350G if you own the GOTY disc. DLC has been de-listed otherwise.

New versions of this are being blocked from being activated iirc.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads