Game Discussion: Fallout 3 (PC) Forum

Clarification on using Steam copy

AuthorMessage
KBop a doo
KBop a doo
Posted on 25 November 15 at 22:30
I read through the other threads and I guess I'm still a little confused - is it possible to do this with only the Steam version, or no? Can I do it if I have the Steam version + a GFWL code, or does a physical copy have to be involved?

I'm sorry, I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times on here.
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 25 November 15 at 23:43
Wondering the same thing. The regular version is only $2.49 on Steam right now (GOTY is $6.79).
KBop a doo
KBop a doo
Posted on 26 November 15 at 00:27
I'm just going to buy it, it's $2.49, what the hell. I'll let you know how it goes. Might take me awhile to install though.
KBop a doo
KBop a doo
Posted on 26 November 15 at 02:49
Napathanes said:The Steam version of the game no longer has GFWL it was stripped out. The only way to get the achievements is with a disc version or if you already purchased the game through the GFWL marketplace before it closed down.^This guy is wrong, doing it as we speak. There is an option on the main menu "LIVE". You do need a CD key, but it doesn't matter from what Games for Windows Live game. So if you already own one go ahead, I purchased Kane & Lynch for under $2 and used that. It logged me in and I am popping the achievements as we speak!
Napathanes
Napathanes
Posted on 26 November 15 at 03:07, Edited on 26 November 15 at 03:11 by Napathanes
I stand corrected glad to see this is still able to be unlocked through the steam version. Sorry if I cause any confusion
Ashen Seraph
Ashen Seraph
Posted on 28 November 15 at 00:08, Edited on 28 November 15 at 00:29 by Ashen Seraph
Does anyone know where I could find a CD key? I had some games (including this one before they transferred it over, clearly as I have a few achievements already) downloaded from the old GFWL marketplace, but it looks like that's been killed or at least not working at the moment.

Unfortunately, I don't think I ever bought a physical copy of a GFWL game.

Looks like the GFWL client should still get you a CD key (at least according to what an Xbox Ambassador just told me), there's currently an XBL service alert that's blocking access at the time I made this post.
My signature keeps changing itself.
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 30 November 15 at 23:27
SeraphimNeeded said:Looks like the GFWL client should still get you a CD key (at least according to what an Xbox Ambassador just told me), there's currently an XBL service alert that's blocking access at the time I made this post.As an Xbox Ambassador myself, we're speaking from personal knowledge most of the time and it's entirely possible that guy was talking out his ass.

What I do know is that most games available on Steam that haven't had GFWL removed come with a key, and you can view it with Steam's CD key option. I don't think the GFWL client itself does anything these days besides let you redownload old purchases from the marketplace and validate your DRM.
aww0
aww0
Posted on 15 December 15 at 16:35
Can confirm it works on a Steam copy
Vril
Vril
Posted on 01 January 16 at 16:30
I purchased FO3 from Steam since it's on sale for only $2.49. I'm having trouble finding the CD Key to enter into GFWL inside the game.
ThreeHaddock62
Posted on 01 January 16 at 18:01, Edited on 01 January 16 at 18:02 by ThreeHaddock62
Joe Skeen said:I purchased FO3 from Steam since it's on sale for only $2.49. I'm having trouble finding the CD Key to enter into GFWL inside the game.When you click on the game to start it, a little box should pop up in the middle of your screen with there 25 digit code.

There are also some options on the right side of your screen when you are in your library. One says "CD Key", clicking that will also bring up the window,
iVilux
iVilux
Posted on 09 January 16 at 14:36, Edited on 09 January 16 at 14:37 by iVilux
My method: Buy Fallout 3, buy GTA IV from G2A.com, use it on your Steam account, use GTA IV's CD key in Fallout 3, done. Not all game CD keys work with Fallout 3, for example Toy Soldiers won't work. GTA IV works, I can confirm, done it around two months ago. To save money, don't buy the GOTY version.

By the way, here's my GTA IV CD key, maybe it's going to work: http://i.imgur.com/KjymvKt.png
BrutalTrve Geek
Posted on 16 June 16 at 01:34
Thanks for the key @iVilux ! It's just work like a charm. Got this game for a while but never "did" it. Now it's done.
Back from the fuzzspace
Mr Chang 3000
Mr Chang 3000
Posted on 26 June 16 at 19:38
I think I just got this to work using battle station pacific cd key for sale right now for 2.24. I'm very excited to replay this and tackle these achievements again. Using an alternate cd to unlock the achievements in fallout won't get you banned or achievements resent will it?
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 27 June 16 at 03:03
Mr Chang 3000 said:I think I just got this to work using battle station pacific cd key for sale right now for 2.24. I'm very excited to replay this and tackle these achievements again. Using an alternate cd to unlock the achievements in fallout won't get you banned or achievements resent will it?You won't be banned, as the fact that some GFWL keys aren't game-specific is a well-known thing and probably an intended feature, and in the almost decade since GFWL came about no one's been banned for it.

And achievement resets are only for people who mod achievements.
Mr Chang 3000
Mr Chang 3000
Posted on 01 July 16 at 03:46
zeldafanjtl said:Mr Chang 3000 said:I think I just got this to work using battle station pacific cd key for sale right now for 2.24. I'm very excited to replay this and tackle these achievements again. Using an alternate cd to unlock the achievements in fallout won't get you banned or achievements resent will it?You won't be banned, as the fact that some GFWL keys aren't game-specific is a well-known thing and probably an intended feature, and in the almost decade since GFWL came about no one's been banned for it.

Well would using the console be considered modding and get you banned?
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 01 July 16 at 06:16
Mr Chang 3000 said:zeldafanjtl said:Mr Chang 3000 said:I think I just got this to work using battle station pacific cd key for sale right now for 2.24. I'm very excited to replay this and tackle these achievements again. Using an alternate cd to unlock the achievements in fallout won't get you banned or achievements resent will it?You won't be banned, as the fact that some GFWL keys aren't game-specific is a well-known thing and probably an intended feature, and in the almost decade since GFWL came about no one's been banned for it.

Well would using the console be considered modding and get you banned?
Modding achievements means using a profile editor tool to add achievements you don't have . Why would using the in-game console be considered modding? It's basically the same as using a cheat code.

Never mind that no one's ever been banned on Xbox Live for it and this site actually uses Fallout 3's console as an example of something that's considered acceptable behavior.
DUS SOULWOUND
DUS SOULWOUND
Posted on 22 January 17 at 02:22
anyone got a key i can use to get my FO3 GFWL? any help appreicated.

failing that where's the best cheapest place to guy a key.

G2A only sells Steam codes NOT GFWL codes
Down Under Squadron (DUS) AUS / NZ Gaming Community Check us out at: www.thedownundersquadron.enjin.com
zeldafanjtl
zeldafanjtl
Posted on 22 January 17 at 06:43
DUS SOULWOUND said:
anyone got a key i can use to get my FO3 GFWL? any help appreicated.

failing that where's the best cheapest place to guy a key.

G2A only sells Steam codes NOT GFWL codes
See this comment from earlier in the thread:

iVilux said:
My method: Buy Fallout 3, buy GTA IV from G2A.com, use it on your Steam account, use GTA IV's CD key in Fallout 3, done. Not all game CD keys work with Fallout 3, for example Toy Soldiers won't work. GTA IV works, I can confirm, done it around two months ago. To save money, don't buy the GOTY version.

By the way, here's my GTA IV CD key, maybe it's going to work: http://i.imgur.com/KjymvKt.png
QuixoticRobbie
Posted on 04 October 17 at 17:13
As of Today, just checked, and iVilux's code no longer works. Just a heads up.
Corruption since Birth
goshinkisfang
Posted on 12 September 19 at 01:25
Hello, I believe I have an answer to this...two years later.

Unfortunately, Steam views Fallout 3, and Fallout 3 GOTY AS TWO SEPERATE GAMES (you cannot buy the fallout 3 soundtrack without owning fallout 3 for instance..even if you own fallout 3 goty)

Unfortuantely, Fallout 3 comes with a gfwl cd key
Unfortunately, Fallout 3 goty does not and has had all gfwl features disabled (stripped out of the game)

What this essentially means is that owners of fallout 3 goty cannot get achievements (there is no cd key at all for this, there is not an option in the game page to display it , nor does it pop up with the key)

I think this is the confusion. Owners of Fallout 3 can get achievements if they own the steam version, but owners of fallout 3 goty on steam cannot get the achievements.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.