Site News

Forum to discuss TA news items. Only TrueAchievement can post here

The TrueAchievements Game of the Year 2015

• TatoonTatoon341,079
    Posted on 08 January 16 at 18:57
    Daelus1 said:I think FO and Witcher were almost equal, but I give the slight nod to FO...very different games. Your take on what makes an RPG confuses me.....FO is far more an RPG than Witcher....in FO leveling matters, skill upgrades matter, customization matters, stats matter (as in SPECIAL stats)...in Witcher everything is interchangeable, no skill tree matters at all. I think you see fantasy setting and are confusing that with what makes an RPG. Witcher is a narrative driven story (a good one) in a fantasy setting with some RPG elements...it isn't far off Tomb Raider or AC.Personally, I have a completely different view of what "makes an RPG" - for me this means choice and influence over the storyline. The ability to define a personality for my character - by choosing some options over others. Witcher definitely has a lot of tough choices to make (most of them not black&white ). Comparing this to TR/AC misses the whole point of 'playing roles'.
    Whereas stats and leveling are natural for RPG's they do not "make" an RPG. Happy Wars has stats and leveling. I wouldn't call it an RPG though.
  • Daelus1Daelus11,034,660
    Posted on 08 January 16 at 19:11
    IdeaLista82 said:Personally, I have a completely different view of what "makes an RPG" - for me this means choice and influence over the storyline. The ability to define a personality for my character - by choosing some options over others. Witcher definitely has a lot of tough choices to make (most of them not black&white ). Comparing this to TR/AC misses the whole point of 'playing roles'.
    Whereas stats and leveling are natural for RPG's they do not "make" an RPG. Happy Wars has stats and leveling. I wouldn't call it an RPG though.
    lol....while I respect the attempt, I would firmly disagree; that you are "playing a role" is not what makes an RPG....that is almost every single same we play....from AC, to Mario, to Ori, etc.....the traditional meaning of RPG centered around skills, character customization, xp, leveling and stats......Geralt is barely a customizable character, similar to either PC in AC, he basicly is what he is...he's a Witcher...your take on an RPG seems to come from the boys at TA who in their "review" claim Fallout is not really an RPG...but the boys at TA seem to think a professional review should just be one of their opinions without any process involved....lol.
  • Posted on 08 January 16 at 19:35
    Daelus1 said:IdeaLista82 said:Personally, I have a completely different view of what "makes an RPG" - for me this means choice and influence over the storyline. The ability to define a personality for my character - by choosing some options over others. Witcher definitely has a lot of tough choices to make (most of them not black&white ). Comparing this to TR/AC misses the whole point of 'playing roles'.
    lol....while I respect the attempt, I would firmly disagree; that you are "playing a role" is not what makes an RPG....that is almost every single same we play....from AC, to Mario, to Ori, etc.....the traditional meaning of RPG centered around skills, character customization, xp, leveling and stats......Geralt is barely a customizable character, similar to either PC in AC, he basicly is what he is...he's a Witcher...your take on an RPG seems to come from the boys at TA who in their "review" claim Fallout is not really an RPG...but the boys at TA seem to think a professional review should just be one of their opinions without any process involved....lol.
    It depends what you view as being a proper RPG. As a primarily JRPG fan I always viewed an RPG as being a game with elements like levelling, skills, equipment and the such rather than making choices; I'm happy for an on-rail story as long as I can do quests for equipment and exp. However others take RPG as being a more literal roleplaying within a game and prefer choices and a larger influence over the world/story. What is a good RPG for one of these things isn't necessarily a good RPG for the other.
  • TopherXPwnsTopherXPwns573,648
    Posted on 08 January 16 at 19:40
    the games masta said:TopherXPwns said:Really surprised that Lone Wolf in Halo 5 won. It's really not a hard achievement at all. Easiest of it's kind in the entire series.mostly agree, except the final boss. that was a real bitch on legendary - rage inducing! for me the boss battles and use of squads spoilt H5 campaignThat was the biggest hangup I had, though I ultimately went with one of the tricks to bypass the combat.
    Topher twitter.com/topherxpwns topherrocks.tumblr.com
  • Posted on 08 January 16 at 19:44, Edited on 08 January 16 at 19:46 by Shadow 00 Fox
    LewisNoob, I don't think you get it. You're trying to maintain that popularity must = GOTY. What we're saying is that quality = GOTY. Oh, and obviously Halo 5 wasn't quality enough to make it into the popularity contest. I have played NEITHER of the games on the console(seen some of both) and from what I've seen and heard, Witcher is higher quality. However, that won't make any difference because this is by votes, and not ratings.

Reminds me of players being chosen by popular vote for the All-star teams in the NHL; excellent players from smaller teams have no chance against mediocre players from big-time markets like Toronto and New York.

By your logic, a Geo Metro or whatever was the best selling cheapest car would be the COTY! LOL. laugh
  • Posted on 08 January 16 at 19:58, Edited on 08 January 16 at 20:01 by QcK Dagger HeaT
    Messiah Muffin said:Daelus1 said:IdeaLista82 said:Personally, I have a completely different view of what "makes an RPG" - for me this means choice and influence over the storyline. The ability to define a personality for my character - by choosing some options over others. Witcher definitely has a lot of tough choices to make (most of them not black&white ). Comparing this to TR/AC misses the whole point of 'playing roles'.
    It depends what you view as being a proper RPG. As a primarily JRPG fan I always viewed an RPG as being a game with elements like levelling, skills, equipment and the such rather than making choices; I'm happy for an on-rail story as long as I can do quests for equipment and exp. However others take RPG as being a more literal roleplaying within a game and prefer choices and a larger influence over the world/story. What is a good RPG for one of these things isn't necessarily a good RPG for the other.
    Idea that is very Western of you.......under your definition any Final Fantasy Game wouldn't be an RPG except the MMO's. RPG's originate from board games like dungeons and dragons, where stats, upgrades, and roll checks dictate the way a game as played. I also got my origins in RPG games from Jrpg's First RPG I ever played was Final Fantasy VII. If your not leveling, upgrading stats, abilities, or weapons your not really an RPG. This notion of I play a character and make choices and define my character is a modern western rpg, where there are far less of these type of games made the the traditional JRPG style games, turn based or not. Idea by your definition we just need to change al tell games storyline game to RPG's laughlaughlaugh. If in most of the make a character and play Ex. Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout still have a leveling system and a stats system that increases based on level.
  • WhyattThrashWhyattThrash565,178
  • JW DEUCEJW DEUCE190,028
    Posted on 09 January 16 at 01:54
    Good to see Fallout 4 get some love. It's been getting dominated by Witcher 3 in all the polls I've seen on other websites. I haven't played Witcher 3. I thought Witcher 2 was just so average that I am in no hurry to play 3. But I'm cracked out in Fallout 4. Always been a big fan of Fallout. When it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.
    Just because I ain't, don't mean I can't!
  • BittyBitty429,766
    Posted on 09 January 16 at 02:19
    Im just gonna guess not many people played Witcher 3
  • Sketchy77Sketchy77591,485
    Posted on 09 January 16 at 02:48
    LewisNoobBuster said:Only self-righteous nerds who think they are cool and unique with their recycled Reddit hivemind thought process consisting of unoriginal patterns and abstract choices would say such drivel.

Stop hating on what's popular, hipsters.

Fallout won because it is absolutely amazing.

Witcher didn't because it isn't.

No conspiracies...
    Haha legend

+1 This guy knows what's up.
    Achievement Unlocked ~ Read My Signature 0G
  • Posted on 09 January 16 at 04:20
    Chakaal Starr said:FightingMegaFoo said:What a great year for RPG's! smile

How the hell did Star Wars get runner-up in the shooter genre? shock Making it runner-up tells EA that it's acceptable to charge full price for half a game and charge $110 for the full game through that season pass nonsense. I played 10 hours through EA Access and now I am waiting for the game to drop to the correct price before buying: $30. Will wait until the season pass drops to $30 too, which means I'll be paying the correct price for the full game: $60.
    Star Wars has some single player modes, does Witcher 3 or Fallout 4 have any multiplayer modes? I know Dragon Age Inquisition and Mass Effect 3 did. They had quite fun multiplayer modes as well.
    I'm not referring to SP vs. MP. I'm referring to lack of content. Like I said, I've played 10 hours through EA access and I've seen everything. Lack of maps (a small map full of snow and caves with nothing else, really?), lack of heroes (where's Chewbacca, Yoda, Darth Maul, Gary the Stormtrooper, etc.), lack of ships (where's the Y-wing, B-wing, etc.)
  • Posted on 09 January 16 at 06:46
    FightingMegaFoo said:Chakaal Starr said:FightingMegaFoo said:What a great year for RPG's! smile

How the hell did Star Wars get runner-up in the shooter genre? shock Making it runner-up tells EA that it's acceptable to charge full price for half a game and charge $110 for the full game through that season pass nonsense. I played 10 hours through EA Access and now I am waiting for the game to drop to the correct price before buying: $30. Will wait until the season pass drops to $30 too, which means I'll be paying the correct price for the full game: $60.
    Star Wars has some single player modes, does Witcher 3 or Fallout 4 have any multiplayer modes? I know Dragon Age Inquisition and Mass Effect 3 did. They had quite fun multiplayer modes as well.
    I'm not referring to SP vs. MP. I'm referring to lack of content. Like I said, I've played 10 hours through EA access and I've seen everything. Lack of maps (a small map full of snow and caves with nothing else, really?), lack of heroes (where's Chewbacca, Yoda, Darth Maul, Gary the Stormtrooper, etc.), lack of ships (where's the Y-wing, B-wing, etc.)
    I think you have set some unrealistic expectations.

There are 12 maps in CoD BO3 and if you include the bonus nuke town map, 13.

Battlefield 4 released with 10.

Titanfall released with 15.

In Battlefront, on release there were 12 maps, and then they added Jakku (2 maps) as a bonus.

I suppose you mean lack of maps vs halo maybe, because they seem in line with other popular shooters. I don't recall a snowy map with just caves, perhaps a specific mode you are talking about since the hoth levels I played on had ship bays, bacta tanks in a medical section, generators and stuff. They still probably put more work in than the umpteenth time recycling nuketown.

I didn't find the hero count or the ship available totally unreasonable because balance had to also be considered. TBH, one thing I don't like is the variety of helmetless stormtroopers. Chewbacca will very likely be upcoming,
    *** Spoiler - click to reveal ***

Y wing could have been countered with a tie bomber since they would both be clumsy to play(though technically Y wings are in the game), but what would you have countering a B wing for in atmosphere fighting? (would have to be something from Original Trilogy). The other thing about adding playable Y wings is that it would unbalance the whole walker assault mode.
  • AwooAwoo2,212,297
    Posted on 09 January 16 at 07:01
    QcK Dagger HeaT said:Idea that is very Western of you.......under your definition any Final Fantasy Game wouldn't be an RPG except the MMO's. RPG's originate from board games like dungeons and dragons, where stats, upgrades, and roll checks dictate the way a game as played. I also got my origins in RPG games from Jrpg's First RPG I ever played was Final Fantasy VII. If your not leveling, upgrading stats, abilities, or weapons your not really an RPG. This notion of I play a character and make choices and define my character is a modern western rpg, where there are far less of these type of games made the the traditional JRPG style games, turn based or not. Idea by your definition we just need to change al tell games storyline game to RPG's laughlaughlaugh. If in most of the make a character and play Ex. Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout still have a leveling system and a stats system that increases based on level.You clearly have never played a single tabletop RPG, let alone actual D&D. JRPGs are by no means some sacred standard that RPGs are measured by. Rather, they are typically crude on-rails grinding simulators with horrible character design and plots that are assembled from a random pool of endlessly repeating tropes. With notable exceptions, of course. Western RPGs, stretching all the way back to Ultima have always been more creative as a whole, and nowhere near as bound to strict tradition as their Japanese counterparts. That's not to say WRPGs don't have clichés. They absolutely do, but the whole reason RPG is a difficult genre to define is that the western side has developed and changed formulas over and over throughout the years, while the eastern side has remained more or less the same. Therefore, I usually like to treat W- and JRPGs as separate genres. Easier that way, since JRPGs are easy to define. WRPGs are not.

Saying Witcher 3 isn't an RPG is idiotic, and the same goes for Fallout 4. They're both WRPGs, a genre that has no proper definition. The former reminds me more of a Gothic game than anything else, and the latter is really nothing more than an open-world shooter with a focus on equipment upgrades. The notion that these wildly different concepts belong in the same genre classification is ridiculous, but it kinda just demonstrates my point. You're all arguing which of an apple and an orange is more like a banana. Stop it.
    What can change the nature of a man?
  • matdanmatdan862,972
    Posted on 09 January 16 at 07:52
    Chakaal Starr said:I think you have set some unrealistic expectations.

In Battlefront, on release there were 12 maps, and then they added Jakku (2 maps) as a bonus.

I suppose you mean lack of maps vs halo maybe, because they seem in line with other popular shooters. I don't recall a snowy map with just caves, perhaps a specific mode you are talking about since the hoth levels I played on had ship bays, bacta tanks in a medical section, generators and stuff. They still probably put more work in than the umpteenth time recycling nuketown.

I didn't find the hero count or the ship available totally unreasonable because balance had to also be considered. TBH, one thing I don't like is the variety of helmetless stormtroopers. Chewbacca will very likely be upcoming,

Y wing could have been countered with a tie bomber since they would both be clumsy to play(though technically Y wings are in the game), but what would you have countering a B wing for in atmosphere fighting? (would have to be something from Original Trilogy). The other thing about adding playable Y wings is that it would unbalance the whole walker assault mode.
    Your remarks prove the point that Battlefront is sad pile of junk and that sticking with just the Original Trilogy was a dumb idea. Considering the original BFIII had Taun-Tauns, playable Ewoks, Clones, decent melee combat not the garbage slap each-other with lightsabers until someone dies system, an actual campaign (Sorry but Battlefront's 'single-player' isn't worth mentioning at all), space combat leading to ground combat, more variety in maps (Coruscant, Kashyyyk, asteroids), new characters and I could probably go on.

Even comparing it to Titanfall and Battlefield with DLC it wouldn't match them content-wise. The announced DLC doesn't add enough to create a variety in the vehicles or balance them, isn't likely to create enough unique weapons to match the large arsenal that BOIII/BF4/Titanfall have, not enough interesting game-modes to keep it going and I really can't say I buy games on graphics which is what Battlefront has going for it.

Also you mentioned balance which is laughable when all I see is massive kill-streaks with Boba Fett.
    Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon, Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath!
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 09 January 16 at 08:50
    Ori!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell Yeah!!!!!
  • Posted on 09 January 16 at 08:59
    matdan12 said:Chakaal Starr said:I think you have set some unrealistic expectations.

Your remarks prove the point that Battlefront is sad pile of junk and that sticking with just the Original Trilogy was a dumb idea. Considering the original BFIII had Taun-Tauns, playable Ewoks, Clones, decent melee combat not the garbage slap each-other with lightsabers until someone dies system, an actual campaign (Sorry but Battlefront's 'single-player' isn't worth mentioning at all), space combat leading to ground combat, more variety in maps (Coruscant, Kashyyyk, asteroids), new characters and I could probably go on.

Even comparing it to Titanfall and Battlefield with DLC it wouldn't match them content-wise. The announced DLC doesn't add enough to create a variety in the vehicles or balance them, isn't likely to create enough unique weapons to match the large arsenal that BOIII/BF4/Titanfall have, not enough interesting game-modes to keep it going and I really can't say I buy games on graphics which is what Battlefront has going for it.

Also you mentioned balance which is laughable when all I see is massive kill-streaks with Boba Fett.
    Agreed smile. Furthermore, comparing Battlefront to COD Blops 3 and BF4 was a mistake since Blops 3 has 3 full modes (SP, MP, and Zombies), while BF4 has full SP and MP. The SP in Battlefront was just tutorials and doesn't qualify as a campaign.

There is nothing wrong with MP only, but if you're going to release it at $60, you better add extra content to make up for the lack of SP. Titanfall did it correctly with its variety of quality maps, modes, and customization. Some of the Star Wars maps are so bare, it looks like they're still in Alpha.
  • ColdSpider72ColdSpider72415,141
    Posted on 09 January 16 at 12:55
    Kind of surprised The Phantom Pain didn't at least win a runner-up in any category.
  • TwistMckTwistMck707,784
    Posted on 09 January 16 at 13:08
    Shocked to see dying light isn't on here. I'm Glad Halo got best shooter with Battlefront in at a close second though
    "Hey Guys! Look at my Gu-"
  • Hirsute DaveHirsute Dave288,479
    Posted on 09 January 16 at 13:10
    Lord Midas said:
    Just Cause 3Secret AchievementThe Secret Achievement achievement in Just Cause 3 worth 29 pointsContinue playing to unlock this secret achievement

This is a way better name than Masshole (IMHO). Rico even shouts it in the game! In full swear mode!!
    It got my vote too laugh

No love for Just Cause 3 at all makes me a sad panda...
  • Posted on 09 January 16 at 18:10
    FightingMegaFoo said:Agreed smile. Furthermore, comparing Battlefront to COD Blops 3 and BF4 was a mistake since Blops 3 has 3 full modes (SP, MP, and Zombies), while BF4 has full SP and MP. The SP in Battlefront was just tutorials and doesn't qualify as a campaign.

There is nothing wrong with MP only, but if you're going to release it at $60, you better add extra content to make up for the lack of SP. Titanfall did it correctly with its variety of quality maps, modes, and customization. Some of the Star Wars maps are so bare, it looks like they're still in Alpha.
    Ok, so lets get this straight, it supposedly wasn't about single player vs multiplayer, as quoted below. Below, you also mentioned lack of maps, but since we have since established equal maps, you are now complaining about the maps not having more junk on them compared to what you would see in the movies.

Above, you are talking about Blops 3 having 3 full modes, which include a single player, multiplayer and horde mode. So since Battlefront has a multiplayer and a horde mode, your remaining mode is single player, but supposedly you aren't referring to that. Of course, then you bring up sp in Battlefront again.

So if you are talking about incomplete games, the missing MP qualifies just as much as missing a four hour story. So I will point out again how some rpg's have great mp available, but others seem to be missing that.

FightingMegaFoo said:I'm not referring to SP vs. MP. I'm referring to lack of content. Like I said, I've played 10 hours through EA access and I've seen everything. Lack of maps (a small map full of snow and caves with nothing else, really?), lack of heroes (where's Chewbacca, Yoda, Darth Maul, Gary the Stormtrooper, etc.), lack of ships (where's the Y-wing, B-wing, etc.)matdan12 said:Your remarks prove the point that Battlefront is sad pile of junk and that sticking with just the Original Trilogy was a dumb idea. Considering the original BFIII had Taun-Tauns, playable Ewoks, Clones, decent melee combat not the garbage slap each-other with lightsabers until someone dies system, an actual campaign (Sorry but Battlefront's 'single-player' isn't worth mentioning at all), space combat leading to ground combat, more variety in maps (Coruscant, Kashyyyk, asteroids), new characters and I could probably go on.

When is the last time you played Battlefront 2? You should add to the ideas forum for ms for them get an id@xbox team to port it. They don't more staff, the game isn't as good as you remember. It will be like how everyone was so excited for that GTA port and then kinda disappointed. You might note, this isn't a sequel to the game from 10 years ago so it doesn't matter what that game had. They would get hated on no matter what they do.

When I was talking about balance for Walker assault, I suppose you could just let Y wing players kill the at-ats at the beginning of the round, that wouldn't generate any complaints when the rounds are 30 seconds long.

My nephew commonly gets 25 kills and 1 or 2 deaths in Halo, my other nephew does the same in Cod, so it surprises you in some way that someone might get runs in star wars?

Most of the matches I have played, whoever ran boba fett(or any hero) didn't seem to stand out too much, maybe because the players I was around would tend focus appropriately. For dogfighting mode, the hero ships did tend to get bigger runs but that is true with the movies. It is nice it isn't kill streak dependent, so it is balanced in that way, so that everyone gets a chance of feeling heroic.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads