Site News

Forum to discuss TA news items. Only TrueAchievement can post here

The TrueAchievements Staff Game of the Year 2015

  • J2B9J2B9707,303
    Posted on 09 January 16 at 18:47
    Aura of Heroism said:I cannot bring myself to play LIS or Witcher 3. LIS just doesn't interest me at all and after giving Witcher 2 a shot, I promptly decided that there were other games that would be more enjoyable for me. I do plan on getting fallout 4 at some point.
    MGS V... I know it had a rough start, but come on. Couldn't even get an honorable mention here?
    Did u mean you gave Witcher 3 a shot? Because if you did mean Witcher 2, then thats a mistake. I went into witcher 3 without even knowing anything about the series and came out with it being one of my favorite games. It completely puts you into the world and i was able to learn all the characters and their relationships without any prior knowledge. And all the witcher games are very different from each other as 3 is a massive open world so its definitely worth giving a shot and judging it instead of judging it based off 2 even if you werent crazy about it for the time you played it.
  • NomstuffNomstuff699,053
    Posted on 09 January 16 at 19:22
    J2B9 said:Aura of Heroism said:I cannot bring myself to play LIS or Witcher 3. LIS just doesn't interest me at all and after giving Witcher 2 a shot, I promptly decided that there were other games that would be more enjoyable for me. I do plan on getting fallout 4 at some point.
    MGS V... I know it had a rough start, but come on. Couldn't even get an honorable mention here?
    Did u mean you gave Witcher 3 a shot? Because if you did mean Witcher 2, then thats a mistake. I went into witcher 3 without even knowing anything about the series and came out with it being one of my favorite games. It completely puts you into the world and i was able to learn all the characters and their relationships without any prior knowledge. And all the witcher games are very different from each other as 3 is a massive open world so its definitely worth giving a shot and judging it instead of judging it based off 2 even if you werent crazy about it for the time you played it.
    It's a mistake to play earlier games in a series before the latest instalment? I should play them backwards then, from 3 to 1?
  • J2B9J2B9707,303
    Posted on 09 January 16 at 19:47, Edited on 09 January 16 at 20:08 by J2B9
    No, that's not what i was trying to get at. Of course to get the entire story and experience you should play them in order. Witcher 3 is one of my favorite games and i'm not saying everyone has to like it but you should judge it from actually playing it and not judging it from its predecessor. I haven't played 2 so I can't really speak on its quality but from what I hear/know, All the games in the series are very different from one another. 2 wasn't open world or as big so you wont get the same experience, and I was still able to enjoy and follow along with 3 on its own. Maybe he didn't like the style, writing, or atmosphere of it which are all things improved in 3. So unless he doesn't like the fact that it's an RPG, or the general style of the combat, then trying 3 might still be worth it as it might have fixed his major concerns and it might really interest him.
  • Posted on 09 January 16 at 19:58
    xPut Name Herex said:Just for fun, I will be posting the complete list of games that got votes from staff members in our separate selection procedure, in no particular order. There is quite a mix:

    Console
    Elite: Dangerous, Riptide GP2, Ori and the Blind Forest, Gems of War, Assassin's Creed Syndicate, Life Is Strange, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Fallout 4, Batman: Arkham Knight, Dying Light, Halo 5: Guardians, Forza Motorsport 6, Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty, Goosebumps: The Game, Neverwinter, Guitar Hero Live, Magnetic: Cage Closed, The Escapists, The Escapists: The Walking Dead, SMITE, Project CARS, Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Shovel Knight, Rare Replay, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China, Saints Row IV: Re-Elected, Tales from the Borderlands, Just Cause 3, World of Tanks, Call of Duty: Black Ops III

    Mobile:
    Dragon Mania Legends (Win 8) / Dragon Mania Legends (WP), Hitman GO (Win 8) / Hitman GO (WP), Imperia Online (WP), Make It Rain: The Love of Money (Win 8) / Make It Rain: The Love of Money (WP), Microsoft Solitaire Collection (Win 10), Abyss (WP), Briquid Mini (WP),
    Tiny Troopers (Win 8), Tiny Troopers 2: Special Ops (Win 8) / Tiny Troopers 2: Special Ops (WP), Lines The Game (WP)
    Even I had forgotten we had so much diversity...

    Anyway, I voted (For staff):

    1. Life is Strange
    2. Guitar Hero Live

    And then in some order I can't remember (The 3,4,5 which we didn't need to list for staff, but for sitewide) : Rock Band 4, Madden NFL 16, Binding of Isaac Rebirth.
    How much for the whole kitten kaboodle?
  • SashamorningSashamorning1,926,024
    Posted on 09 January 16 at 20:59
    TrueAchievement said:Daelus1 said:You need to read TA's review of the game; one of the more honest reviews of the game I had seen. The reviewer acknowledged the game was far from perfect (despite giving it a perfect score....don't ask :P)Please read this for an explanation of the scoring system.

    And there's no such thing as a perfect game!
    I think Oddworld might disagree... wink
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth. Always carry [popcorn].
  • Posted on 09 January 16 at 21:16
    Well guess I will have to get Life is Strange at some point in the next few months when I am done with Fallout and Tomb Raider.
    Check out my Youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCom3yzbUaMRPgeHVhLlPvjw
  • Posted on 09 January 16 at 23:08
    Maybe this is just me. But, does the whole "pick two and we'll tally votes" voting system seem a little out of place to anyone else? I feel like the group could use the pick two system to get a starting list, but then refine that list with actual discussion to get a much better end result.

    LIS is getting an indescribable amount of flak for being #1 and (in my humble opinion) I think that Witcher 3 is being criminally underrated. I also think that all the controversy is tied to the voting system rather than the games themselves. These games all excel in so many ways and provide their own unique and fulfilling experiences and it's unfair to say that game X is better than game Y. But if you have to pick a #1, it seems reasonable for that #1 to be consensual.
  • Posted on 10 January 16 at 01:09, Edited on 10 January 16 at 01:10 by togethawiistand
    Again Fallout 4 getting higher than Witcher 3? C'mon! I see your taste isn't right as good as mine the same as mine! =)
    To do or not to do. THAT is the question.
  • NomstuffNomstuff699,053
    Posted on 10 January 16 at 01:11
    togethawiistand said:Again Fallout 4 getting higher than Witcher 3? C'mon! I see your taste isn't right as good as mine the same as mine! =)If it makes you feel better, I played neither of them cos they're both equally terrible
  • coipcoip190,642
    Posted on 10 January 16 at 02:44
    Really quite a shame the staff didn't recognize how great Halo 5 is. The gameplay mechanics are probably the best of any FPS game ever.
  • NomstuffNomstuff699,053
    Posted on 10 January 16 at 02:47
    It's still Halo, I naturally assume it's as bad as the first four. Regardless, The staff needs to have played to it to give an opinion on it.
  • Daelus1Daelus1519,853
    Posted on 10 January 16 at 14:09
    TrueAchievement said:Daelus1 said:You need to read TA's review of the game; one of the more honest reviews of the game I had seen. The reviewer acknowledged the game was far from perfect (despite giving it a perfect score....don't ask :P)Please read this for an explanation of the scoring system.

    And there's no such thing as a perfect game!
    lol...stop you're whining, I have read the explanation and it doesn't change the fact that it is purposely misleading....yes, purposely.....a 4.5 would have been just as compelling and much more honest. Hey, note I did say your review was one of the best.....lmao
  • ShinnizleShinnizle903,786
    Posted on 10 January 16 at 17:09
    JMJimmy said:Otherwise known as a list of highest budget games put in a seemingly random order.

    Do people not remember what a bloody mess Batman was when it came out and how long it took them to patch? Is it even fixed yet?
    As far as I know, it was only the PC port that was a buggy mess, most reviews acknowledge the console versions as stellar.

    And no, it's not fixed yet. They even issued complete refunds for people who asked for them.
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • Posted on 10 January 16 at 17:22
    Shinnizle said:JMJimmy said:Otherwise known as a list of highest budget games put in a seemingly random order.

    Do people not remember what a bloody mess Batman was when it came out and how long it took them to patch? Is it even fixed yet?
    As far as I know, it was only the PC port that was a buggy mess, most reviews acknowledge the console versions as stellar.
    Correct, nothing wrong with the console version at all
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy456,100
    Posted on 11 January 16 at 02:37
    TrueAchievement said:Shinnizle said:JMJimmy said:Otherwise known as a list of highest budget games put in a seemingly random order.

    Do people not remember what a bloody mess Batman was when it came out and how long it took them to patch? Is it even fixed yet?
    As far as I know, it was only the PC port that was a buggy mess, most reviews acknowledge the console versions as stellar.
    Correct, nothing wrong with the console version at all
    There was LOTS wrong with the console version, I could quote a bunch, instead here's how they were still fixing critical bugs 7 months after launch: http://gearnuke.com/batman-arkham-knights-patch-1-10-fixes-c...
    Life, it's funny that way.
  • ShinnizleShinnizle903,786
    Posted on 11 January 16 at 02:46, Edited on 11 January 16 at 02:46 by Shinnizle
    All this link says is that they released a patch to fix a critical bug in a DLC that came out months after launch... so it doesn't really fit with anything we've discussed before.
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • JMJimmyJMJimmy456,100
    Posted on 11 January 16 at 02:51, Edited on 11 January 16 at 02:52 by JMJimmy
    Shinnizle said:All this link says is that they released a patch to fix a critical bug in a DLC that came out months after launch... so it doesn't really fit with anything we've discussed before.That was just the last major bug fixed... there were a lot more on all platforms: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/06/24/batman-arkham-knight...
    Life, it's funny that way.
  • ShinnizleShinnizle903,786
    Posted on 11 January 16 at 03:28
    First time I heard of it.
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • Stevo6483Stevo6483215,603
    Posted on 11 January 16 at 10:51
    Still a lot of people moaning that they don't agree with the rankings. Would they be happier with a list of games on the site based on their star rating instead perhaps? Probably not.
    Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas... Whatever!
  • Posted on 11 January 16 at 16:47
    JMJimmy said:Shinnizle said:All this link says is that they released a patch to fix a critical bug in a DLC that came out months after launch... so it doesn't really fit with anything we've discussed before.That was just the last major bug fixed... there were a lot more on all platforms: http://www.gottabemobile.com/2015/06/24/batman-arkham-knight...That website seems to be down.

    I had no issues at all with the game, so I am just going on personal experience (plus our review).
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.