Series Discussion Forum

Forum to discuss and propose game series ideas

Telltale series

AuthorMessage
Ultras500
Ultras500
Posted on 09 January 16 at 11:19
Could we have a Telltale series?

It would be for Walking Dead 1 & 2, Tales, Wolf, GoT and Minecraft (haven't played this so don't know if it is similar to the others).

Not sure if you would include Back to the Future, Jurassic Park and Wallace and Gromit but will leave that up to others if you decide to make one.
JamP0und32
JamP0und32
Posted on 09 January 16 at 12:36
Not really a series though is it. It's just all point and click games by Telltale. If we're doing that it would make a lot of pointless series.
Ultras500
Ultras500
Posted on 09 January 16 at 12:58
Sure it is. The games are all the same, just have a different subject matter. No different to a Lego series.
alklein92201
alklein92201
Posted on 09 January 16 at 16:40
I'll say this. If they are made a series, if course you would include BtfF, Jurassic, and &G. Why wouldn't you?
Nomstuff
Nomstuff
Posted on 09 January 16 at 16:54
Would said series also Include Poker Night?
SilentJay76
SilentJay76
Posted on 09 January 16 at 17:33
I can see where you're coming from. But different games by the same developer aren't really a series. Would that make all EA Sports titles a series as well?

Might be cool to have a different category for something like this, though - a publisher catalog completion (or something.) Would add another element. But maybe going a bit too far...
xPut Name Herex
Posted on 09 January 16 at 17:49
Absolutely not a series. A new developer/publisher thing might be interesting, but similar gameplay techniques do not a series make. That's simply a genre. And we have that already wink
alklein92201
alklein92201
Posted on 09 January 16 at 18:55
xPut Name Herex said:Absolutely not a series. A new developer/publisher thing might be interesting, but similar gameplay techniques do not a series make. That's simply a genre. And we have that already winkMy thoughts exactly. As for a new developer/publisher thing, what are you thinking? Because we already have lists of games by developers and publishers
Nomstuff
Nomstuff
Posted on 09 January 16 at 19:21
alklein92201 said:xPut Name Herex said:Absolutely not a series. A new developer/publisher thing might be interesting, but similar gameplay techniques do not a series make. That's simply a genre. And we have that already winkMy thoughts exactly. As for a new developer/publisher thing, what are you thinking? Because we already have lists of games by developers and publishersNot as detailed as the Series pages though.
Mobius Evalon
Mobius Evalon
Posted on 10 January 16 at 04:54
There's a page to list the games Telltale has developed and there's a list of the point and click games. Your suggestion is redundant and ultimately arbitrary when these already exist.
My opinions are often unpopular and acerbic.
SilentJay76
SilentJay76
Posted on 10 January 16 at 12:36
Mobius Evalon said:There's a page to list the games Telltale has developed and there's a list of the point and click games. Your suggestion is redundant and ultimately arbitrary when these already exist.How is that even remotely similar to what is being proposed here?
Mobius Evalon
Mobius Evalon
Posted on 10 January 16 at 16:48
SilentJay76 said:Mobius Evalon said:There's a page to list the games Telltale has developed and there's a list of the point and click games. Your suggestion is redundant and ultimately arbitrary when these already exist.How is that even remotely similar to what is being proposed here?Ultras500 said:Could we have a Telltale series?

It would be for Walking Dead 1 & 2, Tales, Wolf, GoT and Minecraft (haven't played this so don't know if it is similar to the others).

Not sure if you would include Back to the Future, Jurassic Park and Wallace and Gromit but will leave that up to others if you decide to make one.
OP's suggestion is for a completely arbitrary curation and redundant when the developer list and genre list already exists.

What you're talking about is expanding series completion stats to arbitrary lists like genres and developers. Sounds interesting but requires the generation of a ton of stats.
My opinions are often unpopular and acerbic.
Ultras500
Ultras500
Posted on 10 January 16 at 20:54
It's far from arbitrary. Telltale themselves consider them to a Telltale game series as every game from Walking Dead onwards has this listed underneath the game title. I would read that a series of games, coupled with the fact they bundled them together as a collection on the One (maybe a stretch to use that for my point).

You don't agree then fair enough but I view them as a series despite the stories being unrelated. There are loads of film trilogies which wouldn't be considered a series by these definitions yet are still trilogies as they have one common motif whether it be the flavours of cornetto or vengenace, for Telltale that would be the morality of your choices.
xPut Name Herex
Posted on 10 January 16 at 21:09
You are putting too much value into that phrase. "A Telltale Series" means that is it is Telltale's story inside of that world (as everything they make is inside of licensed properties), not some overarching connection between their games. So "Walking Dead: A Telltale Series" simply means it is how Telltale wants to define its version of the world of The Walking Dead, not that that story is somehow connected to their take on the world of Borderlands.
rocking23nf
rocking23nf
Posted on 10 January 16 at 21:48
i would argue that lego lord of the rings, and lego the movie. are further from a series, then the walking dead and tales from the borderlands.
Nomstuff
Nomstuff
Posted on 10 January 16 at 21:48
rocking23nf said:i would argue that lego lord of the rings, and lego the movie. are further from a series, then the walking dead and tales from the borderlands.They are thematically related, these are not.
ALollz
ALollz
Posted on 13 January 16 at 20:42, Edited on 24 February 16 at 18:14 by ALollz
xPut Name Herex said:Absolutely not a series.... similar gameplay techniques do not a series make. That's simply a genre. And we have that already winkWell then what actually is the definition for a series? It's definitely not gameplay as you've stated, given that things like LEGO Rock Band appear alongside LEGO Jurassic World in the Lego Series, and these two games have essentially 0 overlap in gameplay. And there are other series that have this similar feature like Assassin's Creed Pirates (WP) being counted in Assassin's creed when it's a Vehicular Combat game on the phone, essentially completely distinct from the actual saga that is Assassin's Creed.

It can't really be a connection between the games either, because Lego JP isn't at all related to Lego Indiana Jones. They are two entirely distinct storylines.

What do all games in the Lego Series share?
1. Animation is "Lego"
2. There are task-specific things you collect called Gold Bricks (Stars in the case of Rock Band)
3. You earn studs
4. The word LEGO appaers in the name

Honestly, it seems that the only cohesive definition for "series" on this site is a silly definition where the games can literally be anything, but they happen to share a similar set of words in their title. Ubisoft could sell the rights to Assassin's creed to Square Enix, and they come out with a turn based 8-bit RPG called "Assassin's Creed: the RPG" that has absolutely nothing to do with anything else in the franchise and this site would still wind up classifying it under the Assassin's Creed Series, because hey the intellectual property led to this.

It seems difficult to come up with a definition other than "words in game name". I guess technically this site uses "Games that fall under the same copyright umbrella" but that seems rather lackluster or boring. But it is what it is...
Valaith
Valaith
Posted on 30 January 16 at 23:18
ALollz said:xPut Name Herex said:Absolutely not a series.... similar gameplay techniques do not a series make. That's simply a genre. And we have that already winkWell then what actually is the definition for a series? It's definitely not gameplay as you've stated, given that things like LEGO Rock Band appear alongside LEGO Jurassic World in the Lego Series, and these two games have essentially 0 overlap in gameplay. And there are other series that have this similar feature like Assassin's Creed Pirates (WP) being counted in Assassin's creed when it's a Vehicular Combat game on the phone, essentially completely distinct from the actual saga that is Assassin's Creed.

It can't really be a connection between the games either, because Lego JP isn't at all related to Lego Indiana Jones. They are two entirely distinct storylines.

What do all games in the Lego Series share?
1. Animation is "Lego"
2. There task-specific things you collect called Gold Bricks (Stars in the case of Rock Band)
3. You earn studs
4. The word LEGO appaers in the name

Honestly, it seems that the only cohesive definition for "series" on this site is a silly definition where the games can literally be anything, but they happen to share a similar set of words in their title. Ubisoft could sell the rights to Assassin's creed to Square Enix, and they come out with a turn based 8-bit RPG called "Assassin's Creed: the RPG" that has absolutely nothing to do with anything else in the franchise and this site would still wind up classifying it under the Assassin's Creed Series, because hey the intellectual property led to this.

It seems difficult to come up with a definition other than "words in game name". I guess technically this site uses "Games that fall under the same copyright umbrella" but that seems rather lackluster or boring. But it is what it is...
I have to agree with your Lego scenario. There is no reason for Lego Rock Band to be included in the Lego series of games. The Lego games are developed by Travelers Tales and Lego Rock Band by Harmonix. The bulk of the games are action adventure and Lego Rock Band is a Rythm game.

Please rectify.
Zoomt1
Zoomt1
Posted on 24 June 18 at 06:07
I mean while it's the same developer, bigger titles seem to have their own rules when it comes to series. Example being Call of Duty. Activision, Treyarch, and Sledgehammer all make Call of Duty so maybe you could make that argument. What is the argument for the three Black Ops games having their own Black Ops series? Ultimately I actually came to the series thread to suggest that the story games have their own series on the site.
KingyOwl
KingyOwl
Posted on 30 May 19 at 12:30
We obviously now have the Telltale episodic series: Telltale Series

I would suggest however that the following games are all missing from it:
CSI: Hard Evidence Achievements
CSI: Deadly Intent Achievements
CSI: Fatal Conspiracy Achievements

All those games are developed by Telltale and are presented episodically; each case is a seperate episode.

Certainly if Telltale Games' Poker Night 2 Achievements is included (a standalone Telltale game with no episodes) then the CSI games should also be?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.