The Debating Chamber Forum

Forum for intelligent debate on possibly controversial topics related to gaming

Why do people care about Challenges/App achievements?

AuthorMessage
OfficerBarbrady
Posted on 13 January 16 at 05:48
I never quite understood why people would go out of their way to obtain app achievements or challenges in games. They don't have any effect on gamerscore, completion percentage, played games, completed games, or literally anything. At least as far as I know, I could be wrong. But either way, I'm genuinely curious to know the reasons why people go out of their way to get these.
S. A. W. F. T. SAWWWWWWFT
TangerineGamer
Posted on 13 January 16 at 10:26, Edited on 13 January 16 at 10:27 by TangerineGamer
App achievements can be used as an easy way to continue an achievement streak - that's the main reason I got any last year, and then when I had one I was inclined to get the rest and see it as 100% complete, but that's just me.

Challenges I'm not so sure about as I'm not fussed about them myself, people may see it as "they are part of the game and a it is only truly 100% complete once everything is unlocked" - I don't see it that way, just making a guess to the thought process.
New Paralyzer
New Paralyzer
Posted on 13 January 16 at 10:29, Edited on 13 January 16 at 10:32 by New Paralyzer
So, app achievements for me are just unique and can be fun....but I don't go out of my way for them. Challenges are a different story.

First off I just want to say challenges have gone downhill badly and they need to be saved. Now I was a little late to Xbox One so I missed early challenges so I'm just going to discuss the ones I know about and or earned myself.

A great example of challenges and how they should be done is Dead Rising 3 (imo Dead Rising 3 is the only game that used everything the Xbox One has to offer but that's a story for another time)

Dead Rising 3 awarded you with goodies for earning the challenges. The offered in game items and concept art (which was worthless at the time but can now be used as Dashboard Wallpaper)

One of the Dead Rising 3 challenges gave me Roller Hog art and One gave me a New Years Day hat for Nick (Appears in the DLC area of the Closet in-game) and although I missed it apparently one of the challenges had a weapon that cannot be earned anywhere in the game. I was only told about that one like I said I missed out.

Killer Instinct used to award in-game money (although it was so small it didn't even help) sadly I think they offer nothing now.

Crimson Dragon once gave me a special Dragon for completing a challenge.

Saints Row 4 and Gat gave in-game money (once again pointless but we still got something)

So far Crimson Dragon and Dead Rising are the only games (I know of) that gave us exclusive in game items for doing a challenge. That's pretty awesome imo.

Sunset Overdrive I don't think awarded anything in any of their challenges and they had a lot.

Metal Gear Solid V offered nothing

Resident Evil offered concept art (wallpapers) which I currently use my Jill background

Evil Within offered concept art (wallpaper) which was badass and I used to use it.

Transformers devastation offered concept art (wallpaper)

Gucamelee offered nothing

I could keep going on but I'll stop here....basically the idea of getting in-game content was what hooked me....sadly it seems developers either don't care/don't know or something and we get Jack shit now.

I really hope the challenges go back to their launch day roots and start offering us goodies again. Without goodies I don't give a shit about them.
I8ITackyticsI8I
Posted on 13 January 16 at 12:57, Edited on 13 January 16 at 12:58 by I8ITackyticsI8I
I was hooked on the TA app achievements, almost finished the app now. One of the achievements was to snap a guide for a challenge while completing a challenge - so I did this in Max Curse of the Brotherhood (complete half of the levels in the game without dying). It was actually really fun and made me do something in the game I wouldn't ordinarily do, so it just adds extra content. Completely optional though. App achievements may not have gamerscore but they are still achievements at the end of the day so if you enjoy using an app, why not go for the achievements in the same way as games?
Spilner
Spilner
Posted on 13 January 16 at 13:08
To get something other people don't have? Just like any other accomplishment?
Pom poms at the ready, cheerleaders!
HyruleBalverine
Posted on 13 January 16 at 23:28
Also, just because it doesn't effect the completion percentage for TA, doesn't mean it has zero impact for completionists. I mostly use the apps to get achievements for various contests on other gaming sites.
Das Kuhnen
Das Kuhnen
Posted on 14 January 16 at 20:50
I really enjoyed the challenges in Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, but that had more to do with absolutely loving the game. It kept me playing the game whilst awaiting the next dlc, so I didn't pack on any "rust" by not playing. Some offered a unique challenge that the main achievements didn't cover. They didn't offer anything other than the satisfaction of obtaining them though.

That being said, I've yet to even bother going out of my way to get them in most other titles.

Possibly liked Mordor's so much because it was also my only day 1 purchase on the One so far and I was around in time to get them all? Probably factors as well.

App achievements I've popped in bunches, but mostly just by using those apps. I don't really go for them anymore like I did at first.
For the Rum and the Cheese!
planting42
planting42
Posted on 15 January 16 at 16:23
z iExclusive z said:OfficerBarbrady said:I never quite understood why people would go out of their way to obtain app achievements or challenges in games. They don't have any effect on gamerscore, completion percentage, played games, completed games, or literally anything. At least as far as I know, I could be wrong. But either way, I'm genuinely curious to know the reasons why people go out of their way to get these.For me, they're just something to go for when your bored. I spent like 50 hours playing Team Stream just to complete it even though I got absolutely nothing gamerscore or completion wise. I even completed Telemundo and I don't even speak Spanish. The shows weren't even that bad tbh laughWhile I'm biding my time for scoring due to not needing to drop my normal points it keeps me occupied. There are other sites that award badges for completing app-chievements as well.
http://www.trueachievements.com/gtasc-2016.htm
alklein92201
alklein92201
Posted on 17 January 16 at 00:48
Spilner said:To get something other people don't have? Just like any other accomplishment?This

So what if it doesn't count for things? They're achievements and I want them.
Tatl360
Tatl360
Posted on 01 March 17 at 19:28
Hi!

Sorry to bring this up, but here it seems better than creting a thread just for this question.

I'm new to Xbox One and would like to ask about these app achievements. So if I ever use the Youtube on the Xbox One this thing will appear in my gamertag like when playing a game?

That's really annoying if true. I don't want this stuff. Is there a list of things with achievements or people who "avoid this like the plague"? hehe
alklein92201
alklein92201
Posted on 01 March 17 at 19:51
YouTube is an app with achievements, so yes it will show up on your list.
#mentallypudding
halohogg
halohogg
Posted on 20 March 17 at 14:22, Edited on 20 March 17 at 14:23 by halohogg
App Achievements - great idea to encourage use of an app in a way, or by people, that may not otherwise bother. It's a form of marketing in the gamer community.

Challenges - another way to keep a game that has been out for a while, fresh and relevant, for people who have already completed it. Keeps it relevant, past it's potential drop-off point. Another marketing tool to tide the gamer over until the next version in the Series is ready for purchase. Classic example are the Forza Challenges - weekly community challenges, earn XP and CR, obtain badges, reap rewards, and keeps forzamotorsport.com in you face.

Zero Gamerscore Achievements - this is a new one for me that I discovered in Forza 5. I did not know these existed until then. These are like in-game objectives, that don't impact the core max 1000 Gamerscore per game. Just another way to keep you playing like collectibles and side-missions, but with a way to track that is similar to Achievements.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.