Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Ten Titles Added To Backwards Compatibility

• Puff 2 TuffPuff 2 Tuff149,175
    Posted on 22 January 16 at 12:50
    I'm hoping they put out the Star Wars The force unleashed 1 and 2 on the xbox one. it would keep me busy until a new actual decent star wars game comes out. not talking about star wars battlefront shooter. i mean a proper star wars game
  • Posted on 22 January 16 at 13:10
    HolyHa1fDead said:It's not Microsoft that choose BC titles. They said right at the beginning that they will package any game free of charge if asked. If EA, Turn 10, 2K or whomever don't want their game packaged, there is nothing Microsoft can do about it. The vote is to help put some pressure on the publishers, and to demonstrate demand.

There are at least 4 versions of Witcher 2, there are 3 with seperate achievement lists, and 2 of these are available through GoD. For those of you that haven't owned an Xbox 360, it was not a region free console like the Xbox One. That means you cannot easily "purchase" games from a region other than your own.

I think many of you are having the problem that the Xbox One version of Witcher 2 links to the Xbox 360 America version which you cannot purchase from the UK. You will need search for the UK Xbox 360 version manually and "purchase" that so that you can download it on your Xbox One.

For those in Australia/New Zealand, now is a great time to grab an uncensored version of the game. The UK/EU version has the same achievement list as the AU/NZ version and will run on any PAL console. Your save games may not work.

It looks like Witcher 2 isn't region locked, but needs a NTSC or PAL Xbox 360 console or an Xbox One to run, so if you have either of those you can grab the other version if you want to double up on achievements.

To confirm, Witcher 2 is free in US CA UK IE DE FR AU NZ and every other region it has been released digitally in (not JP), not just those listed in the original announcement.
    Ah,you're the man who could answer this question.How would I,a UK resident,go about 'purchasing' the currently free US VERSION of The Witcher 2 for a bit of stacking on the region free Xbone?
    Play hard.Play fair!
  • Posted on 22 January 16 at 13:10
    Great news about Sam and Max and Witcher 2. I've been waiting for Witcher 2. Might get started properly on that now (only played around 30 minutes to an hour previously but really liked how it started)!
  • CIutch CoreyCIutch Corey1,136,180
  • ZalexzyZalexzy1,583,886
    Posted on 22 January 16 at 13:50, Edited on 22 January 16 at 14:05 by Zalexzy
    Ok, I "bought" and downloaded Witcher 2 US version on other account, but when I start it shows as euro version that I have already finished, so does it load game based on my ip region? Anyone got other region version working?

edit: Deleted game and changed console location and language to us, and downloading again to see if it helps.

edit2: Propably got it sorted, went to store on xbox one and searched Witcher 2, it shows two times Witcher 2, no way of knowing which one is EU/US version, seems to be identical. Downloading 1st one, and 2nd is queued so definately different installs. (Cancelled 2nd queued one as my main account only shows that one on market place, and marked as queued so that must be EU version)
  • LilGurgiLilGurgi213,799
    Posted on 22 January 16 at 14:12
    Got Aegis Wing for free way back in the day, but barely played it and was able to get Witcher 2 when it was GWG (not yet played though). Win-win for me. Also loving that the new GWG games are all playable on the 360.

...now just need Skyrim to become BC so I can finishi some side stuff and AC: Rogue while we're at it. I still have my 360, but I just like the "feel" of the X1 so haven't brought myself to booting the 360 back up lately. If the wait goes on too long I may just have to jump back on the 360 for a bit to get through a few titles I missed along the way.
  • SpilnerSpilner805,682
    Posted on 22 January 16 at 14:26
    RDNKB34R said:That's a rip off witcher 2 was just free on 360. Unless the graphics are a lot better sounds just a cheap shot by Microsoft.Graphics are better? You seem to misunderstand what backwards compatible means, its not a remaster its just simply the 360 game on the One through a 360 emulator.
    Pom poms at the ready, cheerleaders!
  • LifeExpectancyLifeExpectancy1,440,934
    Posted on 22 January 16 at 14:30
    This might actually get me to play TW 2 eventually. I really only turn on my 360 for quick easy completions these days.
  • Posted on 22 January 16 at 16:07
    Still waiting for Culdcept Saga..
  • DabigamcDabigamc784,466
    Posted on 22 January 16 at 16:32
    yayyyyy small arms...remember when I held the single player top spot on that game.

May have a look to see where I lie now. Was a fun little game.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead544,528
    Posted on 22 January 16 at 17:08, Edited on 22 January 16 at 18:18 by HolyHalfDead
    Guess which game I was going to play when I finish Fallout 4 - Witcher 2 (I got just 1 achievement in it back in July 2013). Now I will be playing it on my Xbox One and will be well on my way to 97% completion :)

Assassin Corvo said:Ah,you're the man who could answer this question.How would I,a UK resident,go about 'purchasing' the currently free US VERSION of The Witcher 2 for a bit of stacking on the region free Xbone?You will need a second Gamertag, with the account region set to US. Add a payment method such as PayPal. Go to http://xbox.com/en-US/ and "purchase" Witcher 2. Log into your Xbox One with that account to download it. Normally you wouldn't need a payment method as you can purchase it on your console, but since this is an NTSC only game you can't do that from a PAL Xbox 360 console.

And while you are at it, you can grab Aegis Wing which is also FREE to those with NA accounts!

For anyone in AU/NZ who missed my previous post, now is your chance to get your hands on the uncensored version of Witcher 2! (in AU all games had to be MA15+ or under, so the naughty bits got cut, and since NZ get their games from AU...). You might as well grab the North America version and double up on achievements.

This will help you check which version you are installing on your Xbox One:
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (EU) (uncensored) = 8.5GB
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (NA) = 7.8GB
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (AU) (censored) = 7.1GB
    The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (JP) (disc only) = no idea
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • Posted on 22 January 16 at 20:07
    Glad Age of Booty is on the list. Its an extremely underrated game.

(Also Witcher 2 is an excellent port. Might start that one next week!)
  • MaesenkoMaesenko299,539
    Posted on 22 January 16 at 20:28
    HolyHa1fDead said:Assassin Corvo said:Ah,you're the man who could answer this question.How would I,a UK resident,go about 'purchasing' the currently free US VERSION of The Witcher 2 for a bit of stacking on the region free Xbone?You will need a second Gamertag, with the account region set to US. Add a payment method such as PayPal. Go to http://xbox.com/en-US/ and "purchase" Witcher 2. Log into your Xbox One with that account to download it. Normally you wouldn't need a payment method as you can purchase it on your console, but since this is an NTSC only game you can't do that from a PAL Xbox 360 console.[How] Would this work in reverse also? I'm a US resident looking to get the UK version for stacking.
    Do I have to create a second account and link up a PayPal, or can I use my existing account somehow?
    "You can't spell ignorant without IGN."
  • NomstuffNomstuff700,714
    Posted on 22 January 16 at 20:29
    That method above works in reverse too.
  • Burnah BrosBurnah Bros280,739
    Posted on 22 January 16 at 22:23, Edited on 22 January 16 at 22:24 by Burnah Bros
    Downloaded Witcher 2 when it was a GwG & had been waiting for it to be backward compatible. Glad to read that as soon as games become bc they will be available but worried that the list will grow slower rather than faster. Wish the previous GwG were made bc from at least early 2015. Btw TA has become my go to site for gaming news.
    Burnah Bros
  • Posted on 23 January 16 at 01:39
    not really shockedlaugh
  • Zorlac0666Zorlac0666178,103
    Posted on 23 January 16 at 11:00
    Geoffistopheles said:I didn't even realize CS:GO was an Xbox title.

Not a whole lot here, but I do like the news of instant rollouts.
    It's nowhere near as good as the PC versions, but ti's still pretty fun.
  • Zorlac0666Zorlac0666178,103
    Posted on 23 January 16 at 11:02
    BROOKER 513 said:YEAH MORE BC GAMES!!

Commence the bitching

1) when are they releasing more BC games, fuuugggg I can't wait any longer...
    2) where the hell is "MY" game ..... I've been waiting to play it on the One
    3) these current games are garbage, Xbox One BC is junk, I'll head over to PS4
    4) MEH, I could careless (yet here I am posting my two cents)
    Stealing this for later.
  • Posted on 23 January 16 at 18:55
    Yay for Space Giraffe.
    In this world gone mad, we won't spank the monkey, the monkey will spank us!
  • Jay InsomniakJay Insomniak1,178,520
    Posted on 23 January 16 at 22:30, Edited on 23 January 16 at 22:41 by Jay Insomniak
    Zalexzy said:Ok, I "bought" and downloaded Witcher 2 US version on other account, but when I start it shows as euro version that I have already finished, so does it load game based on my ip region? Anyone got other region version working?

edit: Deleted game and changed console location and language to us, and downloading again to see if it helps.

edit2: Propably got it sorted, went to store on xbox one and searched Witcher 2, it shows two times Witcher 2, no way of knowing which one is EU/US version, seems to be identical. Downloading 1st one, and 2nd is queued so definately different installs. (Cancelled 2nd queued one as my main account only shows that one on market place, and marked as queued so that must be EU version)
    The US version is labeled The Witcher 2: Assassin's of Kings, while the EU version is just The Witcher 2 (It's tile still has the "Assassin's of Kings" bit though).

Edit: Also the US tile has the WB and CDProjektRed logo, while the EU version just has A CDProjektRed logo.
    My favourite colour is red
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.