Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

February's Games With Gold Revealed

AuthorMessage
matdan
matdan
Posted on 29 January 16 at 12:05
SethMode said:This site is too much sometimes. So many people just writing off games for what reason? THESE THINGS ARE FREE. Give them a chance. I will agree that Zheros is crap but, that's AFTER playing it.

All of these are great games, with the exception of Styx which is a great game if you like stealth games.

This site has more vitriol for free stuff than I could possibly imagine.
And there goes the assumption, a majority of the recent ones have been stealth (Hitman, Dishonored, Styxx, Deus Ex etc.) I don't need to play those to know they are not my kind of game and no I would not play a certified crap game just to know it is crap like Battlefront/Hardline.

It is called having a brain and opinion, if you hate pie and all your friends said eat this amazing Pecan Pie, you probably would still not eat it. Also FREE is not an excuse for shit, ask Warface how it went with that.
Out of the abyss peer the eyes of a demon, Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath!
SethMode
SethMode
Posted on 29 January 16 at 14:49
So...you aren't going to try them then? That was kind of my point.
LuckyKant
LuckyKant
Posted on 29 January 16 at 14:52
SethMode said:So...you aren't going to try them then? That was kind of my point.Why would he try stealth if he dislikes the genre?
SethMode
SethMode
Posted on 29 January 16 at 14:52
Mobius Evalon said:Saying they should be played just because they are free is like saying I should try every food that is green. It's attaching a single arbitrary qualifier that means nothing.Um...sure I guess, except not really at all. If you are paying for gold and have the time, you should at least TRY every game that is free. That is just economically sound and in your own best interest. Not quite the same as arguing that one should eat everything that is green.
SethMode
SethMode
Posted on 29 January 16 at 14:53
LuckyConquerer2 said:SethMode said:So...you aren't going to try them then? That was kind of my point.Why would he try stealth if he dislikes the genre?They aren't all stealth games? I wasn't solely referring to Styx in the post he quoted, clearly.
LuckyKant
LuckyKant
Posted on 29 January 16 at 15:10
SethMode said:LuckyConquerer2 said:SethMode said:So...you aren't going to try them then? That was kind of my point.Why would he try stealth if he dislikes the genre?They aren't all stealth games? I wasn't solely referring to Styx in the post he quoted, clearly.But he was referring to your point that the stealth games are great, if you like stealth. He doesn't like stealth, so won't waste his time.
SethMode
SethMode
Posted on 29 January 16 at 15:17, Edited on 29 January 16 at 15:44 by SethMode
LuckyConquerer2 said:SethMode said:LuckyConquerer2 said:SethMode said:So...you aren't going to try them then? That was kind of my point.Why would he try stealth if he dislikes the genre?They aren't all stealth games? I wasn't solely referring to Styx in the post he quoted, clearly.But he was referring to your point that the stealth games are great, if you like stealth. He doesn't like stealth, so won't waste his time.But only one of the games is a stealth game...I am almost convinced that neither of you actually read my post that both of you are referencing. The point was...YOU ARE PAYING FOR XBLG...TRY THE FREE GAMES. Meanwhile, if you have read about Styx and how hardcore stealth it is, don't play it, if you actively hate stealth games.

He acted as if all of the games were stealth games, and in reality, only Styx is. Also, this is a really stupid argument,
PIatinuhm
PIatinuhm
Posted on 29 January 16 at 15:51, Edited on 29 January 16 at 15:52 by PIatinuhm
Xbox One lineup looks fresh. I didn't really feel much for Hand of Fate but after seeing Total Biscuits video of it (credit to newell00 on r/xboxone) https://youtu.be/1m8XoKANoKE

Well safe to say, I look forward to it now.

EDIT: Sorry for the Double Post!
LifeExpectancy
LifeExpectancy
Posted on 29 January 16 at 18:40
Theyll never get me to play gears again. Not even for free.
LuckyKant
LuckyKant
Posted on 29 January 16 at 22:12
@seth, I don't see where he said they were all stealth or where he said he would not play any GWG. Matdan stated he would not play the stealth games and there has been quite a few of the genre as GWG.

The key point is why play a game just because it is free? If the game does not appeal to you, you are wasting time.
SethMode
SethMode
Posted on 30 January 16 at 00:01
LuckyConquerer2 said:@seth, I don't see where he said they were all stealth or where he said he would not play any GWG. Matdan stated he would not play the stealth games and there has been quite a few of the genre as GWG.

The key point is why play a game just because it is free? If the game does not appeal to you, you are wasting time.
I am genuinely not understanding your dispute here. I never said he should play anything just because it is free, I said he shouldn't write games off without playing them. He said Styx was a stealth game and yada yada yada here we are.

Again, this is the most internet argument ever. We're pointlessly debating someone else's preference. I personally don't care if he never plays any of these games.
JYN209
JYN209
Posted on 30 January 16 at 00:08
:|
Microsoft. U SEL GeARs?!
Y U Hav To dO ALl!??!
LuckyKant
LuckyKant
Posted on 30 January 16 at 02:09
You said:

SethMode said:This site is too much sometimes. So many people just writing off games for what reason? THESE THINGS ARE FREE. Give them a chance. I will agree that Zheros is crap but, that's AFTER playing it.

All of these are great games, with the exception of Styx which is a great game if you like stealth games.

This site has more vitriol for free stuff than I could possibly imagine.
He replied.

matdan12 said:And there goes the assumption, a majority of the recent ones have been stealth (Hitman, Dishonored, Styxx, Deus Ex etc.) I don't need to play those to know they are not my kind of game and no I would not play a certified crap game just to know it is crap like Battlefront/Hardline.

It is called having a brain and opinion, if you hate pie and all your friends said eat this amazing Pecan Pie, you probably would still not eat it. Also FREE is not an excuse for shit, ask Warface how it went with that.
It was summed up well here:

Mobius Evalon said:Saying they should be played just because they are free is like saying I should try every food that is green. It's attaching a single arbitrary qualifier that means nothing.Your big question was:

So many people just writing off games for what reason?

The reason:

I don't need to play those to know they are not my kind of game

Let me know if you need further clarification?
Elyoh
Elyoh
Posted on 30 January 16 at 04:39
...Lucky is right here, you're displaying cognitive dissonance.
No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
SethMode
SethMode
Posted on 30 January 16 at 04:42, Edited on 30 January 16 at 04:48 by SethMode
Elyoh said:...Lucky is right here, you're displaying cognitive dissonance.I suppose if you are looking for an argument, you're right. I concede there. He started the argument though. Also, again, why do we care?
Yazite
Yazite
Posted on 30 January 16 at 10:24
Let's keep it civil please.
Laugh it up, fuzzball.
ChubbySweethead
Posted on 30 January 16 at 16:26
is there any reason why banjo kazooie is showing as coming soon in the GWG tab for febuary. wasnt mentioned in the news article
LuckyKant
LuckyKant
Posted on 30 January 16 at 16:56
ChubbySweethead said:is there any reason why banjo kazooie is showing as coming soon in the GWG tab for febuary. wasnt mentioned in the news articleIt might be a region specific GWG, possibly Japan and instead of Gears of War 2.
evilernie667
evilernie667
Posted on 30 January 16 at 17:20
Awesome, I guess Germany gets Nuts and Bolts as well. Suits me, as I bought Gears Ultimate :)
misfit119
misfit119
Posted on 31 January 16 at 00:14, Edited on 31 January 16 at 00:17 by misfit119
SethMode said:This site is too much sometimes. So many people just writing off games for what reason? THESE THINGS ARE FREE. Give them a chance. I will agree that Zheros is crap but, that's AFTER playing it.I don't need to smear my face in cow poop to know that it stinks. I can tell that from far away or by asking someone if it stinks. If there's lots of people telling me that it stinks well then I'm going to more than likely assume that at least a portion of them are correct. And while I may find that I'm not too bothered by it, and may even enjoy the bouquet if I'm a weird person, I'm not going to be eager have it bundled up an given to me. This analogy is brought to you by Zheros and the TA review - eff even starting that piece of garbage.

SethMode said:This site has more vitriol for free stuff than I could possibly imagine.It's not free stuff per se. It's the free stuff being given away. There's a difference there.

SethMode said:Elyoh said:...Lucky is right here, you're displaying cognitive dissonance.I suppose if you are looking for an argument, you're right. I concede there. He started the argument though. Also, again, why do we care?For the same reason you cared enough to respond to his post I guess? Point is, he's not interested, you think he should be. Let it end there.

SethMode said:Um...sure I guess, except not really at all. If you are paying for gold and have the time, you should at least TRY every game that is free. That is just economically sound and in your own best interest. Not quite the same as arguing that one should eat everything that is green.Time in this life is finite - I don't need to play every game out there just because it's free when I can spend my time playing games I know I'll like. I never get that thinking. If you played all the free games given to us by Xbox you'd have stumbled across such wonders as Yaris, Zheros, Deer God, Totemball and Dash of Destruction. Sure some of these games are alright, and I've found games that I've loved but that was mostly because they were in genres I knew I'd like. Guacamelee is a metroid-vania style game so that automatically appeals. or Sleeping Dogs, which has the open world stuff.

"Why yes I know that I hate fish but this place is giving out free fish? I'mma get me some of that."

All that said I'll definitely agree that there's plenty of bitching about this sort of stuff. Can't complain too much since it annoys me how often the games given out are ones that I own and I will often voice it - like now, screw this collection when I own 3 outta 4 of them - but that's the internet. If it really bothers you ya might need to avoid forums in general.
Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.