AuthorMessage
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 08 February 16 at 00:54
How my adult life has taken from me my love for sandbox games

Please click here to read the story: I'm Getting Too Old For This
UnsungGhost
UnsungGhost
Posted on 08 February 16 at 01:03
I feel the pain. Sometimes the short indie games are the way to go, if only because they have an ending that is very close and they are much cheaper.
YoDz
YoDz
Posted on 08 February 16 at 01:07, Edited on 08 February 16 at 01:24 by YoDz
great article, we are very simular. im 25 years old and grew up playing every gta and beating them all 100% on PS1 PS2 Xbox PSP and even DS, then around 17 years old i started working and getting into FPS games like CoD4 and RSV, which was around the time GTA4 came out and left me disapointed with the game. Since then i have been sticking to FPS games up until GTA5 came out. GTA5 is getting me back into sandbox/openworld games, i beat GTA5 100% now im gonna tackle Fallout 4,GTA4(maybe pc version aswell) and go back and finish Fallout3 and New Vegas. Just Cause may have to wait a few months. Same with Red Dead. I been lucky the past year due to i found a good paying job where i only have to work for 6 hours everyday and still have enough money to be comfortable and pay bills, but even with that i had to get use to only sleeping about 5 hours a night to have time to game. Some adult friends judge me when i say i play xbox but those same people binge watch netflix every night or spend hours at the bar everynight. When it comes down to it gaming is just another hobby, just like those who enjoy watching football.Dont let being a adult take away your passion, it may feel like your busy all the time but if you look at ways to make time you can make it work. Although i do have a girlfriend she does not mind me gaming, luckily she actually likes playing games and she works nights which gives me time. I cant imagine how hard finding time must be if you have young kids though.
EmporerDragon
EmporerDragon
Posted on 08 February 16 at 01:07
As another adult with a full time job, I know the feeling all to well. However, I just accepted the fate that I have become a game collector and still work through my games at my pace.

Sure, it means that I've got a 500+ title backlog (unplayed, not unfinished), but it allows me to enjoy games without rushing them.
The SCHWARTZ 00
Posted on 08 February 16 at 01:10
Growing up sucks. 100% agreed with this article. Great stories are often sacrificed at the altar of sandbox gaming. Its what made Dragon Age Origins so fucking spectacular and why DA Inquisition was so hollow to me. These devs are making giant worlds filled with so many collectibles and fetch quests to the point where the storyline emds up falling to the wayside, and by the time I hit the 30th hour I'm losing interest in what's going on. Like you said, as I age, I'm losing the time to 100% these games so I'm starting to gravitate more towards linear games. I still have Wtcher 3, Just Cause 3, Fallout 4, and Dying Light to complete. At the rate I'm going it'll take me months to finish those just due to the sheer size of them and my busy schedule.

I'm praying Quantum Break doesn't being a sandbox game.
JeDiMlnDTrlcks
Posted on 08 February 16 at 01:25
I'm almost 25, and I feel like I have a double personality. Part of me wants to watch movies, tv shows, play games and read comics for my entire life. The other part wants me to go to the gym 5 days a week and train with a private trainer, hire a nutritionist, hire a cook, go to parties a lot, go do fun activities, hook up with girls, be the center of attention and have people look up to me. My income is low now so my first personality wins for now, but I suspect that once I get the job and money rolling, I'll be a mixture of the two. There are only 24 hours/day, and I sleep 7-9/day, so finding the time to do all of this will be difficult and I suspect that gaming will take the hit at one point for me as well. Although, none of the 2 personalities want to have a family and kids, so I guess that's a bonus.
Vermin360
Vermin360
Posted on 08 February 16 at 01:28
A well constructed article that is sure to resonate with many of us. I'm 45 now and my career revolves around games - but I still have trouble getting around to jump into an open world morass even when I can convince myself that it's what I really want.

Good luck balancing life and gaming as you move forward with life. I wish I could tell you it gets easier, but it doesn't. Maybe in another 20 years when I retire I will be able to dedicate the time I would want to gaming again. Then again, who knows what life will have in store then.
We don't stop playing because we get old; we grow old because we stop playing.
MisterRareSteak
Posted on 08 February 16 at 01:33
Ahh, you spring chicken, let's see what you feel like when, like me, you're turning 50! Been gaming since my teens and have seen a lot of change, most of it for the better. I just play the games for fun now, when I get the time (rarely), and sometimes that means limitless exploring without worrying too much about objectives, and other times it means following the story through.
Dakrkplayer2
Dakrkplayer2
Posted on 08 February 16 at 01:36
Despite I work full time. I managed to pull big time gaming. Then the other hand I never get out the house that much for non work related things.
.XBOX 4 LIFE. https://www.change.org/petitions/to-tell-microsoft-to-make-self-published-live-able-games-on-windows-phone-and-windows-8-and-tell-deve
Evandalist
Evandalist
Posted on 08 February 16 at 01:38, Edited on 08 February 16 at 01:41 by Evandalist
Great Op-Ed. I honestly couldn't agree more. Even worse is that it seems like more and more franchises are being forced to sacrifice narrative and character development in lieu of having a forced 'sandbox' element because, well, that's what everybody else is doing so fuck it, right?

A great example of this is 'Metal Gear Solid V : The Phantom Pain.' I've been a lifelong fan of the 'Solid' series since the original back on the PS1. They're notorious for having amazingly complex (though sometimes admittedly convoluted) stories and emotional character development told through lengthy cutscenes with a distinct cinematic flair. They're also notorious for prioritizing stealth and intelligence over action and run-and-gun gameplay.

Not MGS5. They just scrapped everything that diehard fans of the series came to love over the past 17 years in favor of a ridiculously limited 'sandbox' style shoot 'em up with story being left by the wayside for the player to listen to on fucking cassette tapes in between missions. Even the open world fails at being an open world because half of the map is inaccessible due to terrain constraints and even looking past that there isn't a fucking thing to do in this giant sandbox but capture the same outposts over, and over, and over, and over again. There isn't even a single NPC in the entire game! laugh

Biggest disappointment of 2015 for me, by far, and it seems like more and more AAA titles are sacrificing quality for 'open world' gameplay. Nowadays I pretty much skip anything that's biggest selling point is essentially "you'll never run out of shit to do!"

If I wanted that, I'd go play WOW.
Here lies a trite quote from somebody in history you might recognize. It's delightfully witty, yet concurrently incisive, and not at all pretentious.
Angels Kill Too
Posted on 08 February 16 at 01:50, Edited on 08 February 16 at 01:51 by Angels Kill Too
I'm 25 and I'm starting to feel like my dad who's in his 50's with video games. I care little for the whole "epic" storys anymore and I just want to put a game in and start killing etc.

The SCHWARTZ 00 said:Growing up sucks. 100% agreed with this article. Great stories are often sacrificed at the altar of sandbox gaming. Its what made Dragon Age Origins so fucking spectacular and why DA Inquisition was so hollow to me. These devs are making giant worlds filled with so many collectibles and fetch quests to the point where the storyline emds up falling to the wayside, and by the time I hit the 30th hour I'm losing interest in what's going on. Like you said, as I age, I'm losing the time to 100% these games so I'm starting to gravitate more towards linear games. I still have Wtcher 3, Just Cause 3, Fallout 4, and Dying Light to complete. At the rate I'm going it'll take

me months to finish those just due to the sheer size of them and my busy schedule.

I'm praying Quantum Break doesn't being a sandbox game.
100 percent agreed as I'm the same age but I'm also going into the military so who the hell knows what I'll feel like when I return, I may not even enjoy them anymore lol
Everything will be fine in the End... If it's not fine... Then it's not the End...
toddycst
toddycst
Posted on 08 February 16 at 01:51
26? Pfffft, just a baby.
Elite1111111111
Posted on 08 February 16 at 01:52
The amount of open world games is even a bit crazy for those of us that do have free time. I usually have at least 6 hours a day for gaming even with work, but I'm loathe to start Witcher because of my sales backlog.
Bar6arian
Bar6arian
Posted on 08 February 16 at 02:08
Great article and spot on...it's why I hate collectibles and MP grinds. Nothing worse than spending that 3 or 4 hours and not getting anything or anywhere because of it. Especially then to find out an achievement is glitched! Some games have gotten better at this fulfillment but I have tried to become more selective when throwing my money down.
Lanceride
Lanceride
Posted on 08 February 16 at 02:10
I'm 21, nearing the end of my undergraduate college career, and I somewhat feel this creeping up already. Heaven help me.
PM me if you wanna play some Smash Bros.!
Master AO
Master AO
Posted on 08 February 16 at 02:29
Great read. I laughed at 26, you're young!
Old School Gamer
Ax7 BEAST
Ax7 BEAST
Posted on 08 February 16 at 02:54
I'm also 21, and I feel as if I game far less than I used to, as I work, go out with friends, my girlfriend, etc. I still love having games, such as Fallout 4, that have all that content. It may be because I don't really buy games that often, what with having a limited income and all. These days though, I load up Sleeping Dogs, which is what I'm currently working on, and grind it out haha.
Boosting Battlefield BC, Halo Wars, and Gears PC
Elyoh
Elyoh
Posted on 08 February 16 at 03:02
Have children.

It ruins changes your gaming hobby by far the most laugh
No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
Signal24Code20
Posted on 08 February 16 at 03:24
Your article is spot on. That is why I have so many games on my list that aren't complete, even the story mode isn't complete. It's because I get sidetracked in game and then move onto something else I want to play. Now I honestly hope for times when nothing good is coming out so I can get through my back log.

Truthfully, I didn't even finish this article. Now that the Super Bowl is over, it's time to game while I finish laundry and then get to bed because it will be way too early (in my opinion) when I get up with my son.
Thin Blue Line
ImaginaryRuins
Posted on 08 February 16 at 03:27
I would say, on the contrary, gaming makes me feel younger. I just turned 30 last month.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.