Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

I'm Getting Too Old For This

AuthorMessage
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 11 February 16 at 00:46
Darklord1899 said:Being playing video games for the last 40 years from Pong in the arcades till Fallout 4... you never get tired of them... sometimes life intercedes and you do not play them as much but they are always there.I hope that came across in my op-ed. I can't imagine a world where I lose interest in games entirely. It's only some sandbox games that seem to lose out to more pressing matters sometimes. I still love them too, but I often find shorter games more valuable. In the story I say 8-12 hour games, but even the 2-6 hour "walking simulators" like the excellent Firewatch are very valuable to me.
AwakeDeadeye
AwakeDeadeye
Posted on 11 February 16 at 06:07, Edited on 11 February 16 at 06:17 by AwakeDeadeye
Evandalist said:AwakeDeadeye said:a Fi1thy Casual said:LewisNoobBuster said:As this article progresses I see first-hand the torment of society's promise.

You are all in control of your own destiny, but you hand your wives the remote.

That's a bug LewisNoobBuster will never catch. Marriage is a regretful contract to sign.
We know - you have literally said this to the point of ad nauseam. roll

We get it: you think girls are "icky". It has been noted. Move along.
Not taking any sides, but out of all the girl's I've gotten to know none of them stayed faithful to their partner. When I read "Marriage is a regretful contract to sign." it feels like an echo of the unrest in my heart thinking of it all, maybe he's just had similar experiences.
Maybe you should associate yourself with better women then instead of coming to such a ridiculous conclusion based solely on anecdotal evidence derived from limited personal experience?

Nah. That'd be far too mature.

Better to just refer to yourself in the third person like an egotistical jizz mop while spewing pseudo-intellectual drivel all over the place like a raving mental patient who just read some Kurt Vonnegut for the first time.
The fuck are you talking about? Where did I talk about myself in the third person? How was that two sentence "pseudo-intellectual drivel" from a "raving mental patient who just read some Kurt Vonnegut for the first time"? Seriously.

"Maybe you should associate yourself with better women" As far as I could tell they were great girls, and not all of them were ones I've dated if you're assuming that.

"instead of coming to such a ridiculous conclusion". Again, what conclusion? I was suggesting maybe he had the same experiences which might have led to animosity or apathy towards relationships. Nowhere did I claim there was a "way of the world" kind of thing, which I take you somehow read into my brief comment. Maybe you should be the mature one and use basic reading comprehension before going off on an emotional tangent.

dropK1CK ninJA said:All right. Let's get back on topic.

Mindless preaching will be removed.
Whoops, well I replied before I read this. I won't delete it cause it's my first reply regarding it and I feel he exploded for no real reason, feel free to delete it if you want. I won't reply back much if someone decides to reply to it.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 11 February 16 at 06:16
@AwakeDeadeye: He was definitely talking to the other guy.
AwakeDeadeye
AwakeDeadeye
Posted on 11 February 16 at 06:19
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:@AwakeDeadeye: He was definitely talking to the other guy.Well if he was he was definitely replying to me too, for one I was the last comment so he could of went a bit further up and replied to the others only no problem. Second, some of what he said is definitely directed towards me.
Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 11 February 16 at 06:26
1. Stop taking the internet so personally and only put as much of yourself on there as you're comfortable with.

2. The cake is a lie. A LIE!
Evandalist
Evandalist
Posted on 11 February 16 at 06:31
The bulk of my post was quite clearly directed at our supreme overlord. I thought that much would be obvious given his propensity for A.) Referring to himself in the third person, and B.) Sounding exactly like I had described him.

The only part of that post that was truly directed at you was in response to your anecdotal evidence regarding unfaithful women in your life. Though I don't see how any of that could be misconstrued as me "exploding" in any way. I'll give you that my choice of words is often quite colorful, but that's about it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must be getting back to my "underworld led non-profit organization who plan on taking over the masses through manipulation of truth and reality as a whole."

It's exhausting being this edgy.
Here lies a trite quote from somebody in history you might recognize. It's delightfully witty, yet concurrently incisive, and not at all pretentious.
AwakeDeadeye
AwakeDeadeye
Posted on 11 February 16 at 06:50
Evandalist said: Stuff "The bulk of my post was quite clearly directed at our supreme overlord. I thought that much would be obvious given his propensity for A.) Referring to himself in the third person, and B.) Sounding exactly like I had described him."

Not seeing him speak in 3rd person in the quote, he might've done so earlier. I can't recall and can't be bothered to rummage through. Maybe be a bit more clear what's to who next time.

"The only part of that post that was truly directed at you was in response to your anecdotal evidence regarding unfaithful women in your life."

Well, like I said I was suggesting maybe he had the same experiences, not saying how all women are or something like that.

More on topic of the post, I just want to say it's rather depressing. Gaming's my only real hobby because of where I live, small town and nothing to do. The only other thing that peaks my interest is fishing in the river but there always an army of asshats on jetskis going back and forth in front of the only decent spots to fish.
Wyyvern
Wyyvern
Posted on 11 February 16 at 09:15, Edited on 11 February 16 at 09:16 by Wyyvern
Sorry about the off-topic, but has anyone else been getting PMs from LewisNoobBuster? He's sent me one.

I come baring a gift. A proposition, of sorts.

Not many people know this- but I am in talks with becoming chairman of our foundation...

I can't directly tell you much on grounds of security.

We are an underworld led non-profit organization who plan on taking over the masses through manipulation of truth and reality as a whole.

Our scholars profess words of peace... but that couldn't be further from what we truly seek.

Please think carefully on how you'd like to proceed.

You must know I can't be seen in talks with the many mortals that roam this land. The boss would expel me, and I possibly wouldn't leave my space alive.

So, consequently, my words have time-restraints.

I must ask you swiftly:

If you really do wish to be enlightened with truths that may so blacken your very core, I must now be informed.

Heed this,

I cannot message you again.

If you're serious about the path of knowing, contact me... but not here.

I have decoys scattered throughout the planes. You will know when the time comes.

My minions will emerge from darkness to ask for your final word. Please do not be alarmed.

That is all I can say to you...I've said too

much

already...

Received today at 00:37
This signature does not exist. Also, dragons.
LuckyConquerer2
Posted on 11 February 16 at 10:56
Yes. At least three people have had this, probably a lot more.

This is something the mods should look at.
Lord Midas
Lord Midas
Posted on 11 February 16 at 13:32
I'm turning 44 in March, and started gaming on Binatone paddles and Atari VCS2600 (yes, it came out in 1977).

Anyway, I can safely say that gaming has never been better. NEVER! Nostalgia is best left in the past. Woo, gaming was great way back when. Then you play the old classics and find out that compared to now they are shit. Stick with your happy memories.

Back on topic, I love the open worlds. Even if I only get one hour an evening (though my multi-hour sessions are Fri-Sat nights), I have completed RotTR and Just Cause 3, and still wading through The Witcher 3. I would even fire up JC3 for 20 minutes in the morning just to liberate a base or town.

But no other game has me more excited to be a gamer right now than The Division. The Huge open world, the stroll into-and-out-of single/coop/multiplayer excellence. Happy days.

Being an adult is ace. You're in your 20's? Pfft, your best years are to come. Trust me dance
Lord Midas
Lord Midas
Posted on 11 February 16 at 13:34
Wyyvern said:Sorry about the off-topic, but has anyone else been getting PMs from LewisNoobBuster? He's sent me one.

*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
Ignore/tell them to f*** off. Spam shit.
a Fi1thy Casual
Posted on 11 February 16 at 13:50
Piston Toyota said:Sooooo.... those Sandbox games! They sure do take a long time to finish, am I right guys?Definately...

Playing through MGSV:TPP right now. Not difficult, and honestly I have found the entire experience to be fantastic, however to 100% this beast you need to put in quite a bit of time...roll...
Fully loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 11 February 16 at 14:13
LuckyConquerer2 said:Yes. At least three people have had this, probably a lot more.

This is something the mods should look at.
Look at the positive side of things. Blocking him has finally proven useful! dance
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
TirelessFiver
TirelessFiver
Posted on 11 February 16 at 15:48, Edited on 11 February 16 at 15:48 by TirelessFiver
You are spot on with this article! It doesn't get easier as you get older and have other obligations (wife, dog, kids, house, etc.). In my opinion, I really think all games, including sandbox games, could cater to a larger audience by making them more episodic. Put out a world, have an episode one story and sell it for $20 or $30. Give it a play time of 10 to 20 hours. Two or three months later release episode 2 using the same game world and sell the episode for $20 - $30 again. Makes sense to me and I am really surprised more gaming companies haven't attempted this (that I know of). As I understand, a lot of the the initial cost for most games in development... I think what I have outlined above puts all of the hard / big development out front. All other episodes would basically be icing on the cake.

-John
LuckyConquerer2
Posted on 11 February 16 at 15:51
TirelessFiver said:You are spot on with this article! It doesn't get easier as you get older and have other obligations (wife, dog, kids, house, etc.). In my opinion, I really think all games, including sandbox games, could cater to a larger audience by making them more episodic. Put out a world, have an episode one story and sell it for $20 or $30. Give it a play time of 10 to 20 hours. Two or three months later release episode 2 using the same game world and sell the episode for $20 - $30 again. Makes sense to me and I am really surprised more gaming companies haven't attempted this (that I know of). As I understand, a lot of the the initial cost for most games in development... I think what I have outlined above puts all of the hard / big development out front. All other episodes would basically be icing on the cake.

-John
I would love to be a salesman at your house. Robbed.
Dancing Rob
Dancing Rob
Posted on 11 February 16 at 17:26
and that statement is part of the problem.

I'd happily pay much more for a short, high quality experience than a lengthy mediocre one.

However, the way games offering said experience have always bombed at retail proves I am in a very small minority with this, hence the majority of games now offering 5 hours of decent content and another 10 hours of busy work.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 11 February 16 at 17:42
Dancing Rob said:I'd happily pay much more for a short, high quality experience than a lengthy mediocre one..I wholeheartedly agree with that. Anything beyond 15 hours (and even then, I'm generous) for a storyline is too much for me. Mainly because there usually isn't enough new stuff to keep me hooked, story-wise or gameplay-wise.
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
Davy v2
Davy v2
Posted on 11 February 16 at 18:05
What a great article, i could not agree more!

Many nights it is pretty much weighing up much needed sleep against "a few more minutes" to at least finish the current Fallout quest... sometimes the first one of the night because it already took so long to get to the different places (especially if you tend to collect everything that lies around and are thus forced to pay regular visits to home base). It's a difficult fight for personal satisfaction really...
Maxumilli0n
Maxumilli0n
Posted on 11 February 16 at 20:12
Wyyvern said:Sorry about the off-topic, but has anyone else been getting PMs from LewisNoobBuster? He's sent me one.

*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
Yes, I've received one as well and just read the preview. I'm afraid to actually open it and it cause me to spontaneously combust.
dropK1CK ninJA
Posted on 11 February 16 at 20:18
We are aware, just delete it and move on.

Thanks
Ask me about my rock collection.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.