Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

I'm Getting Too Old For This

AuthorMessage
gohan2988
gohan2988
Posted on 08 February 16 at 06:08
Its not just age and responsibilities that make these games tougher for us, its also the developers who add all this unnecessary crap. By the time I get anywhere in one of these games I have forgotten the main story anyway because of all the side stuff that needs to be done. I have more free time than most and even I have come to a point where I don't wanna spend time with a game where 6 hours can still make me feel like I got nowhere. Sandbox games need fat cut off of them but we as gamers keep eating them all right up because they're usually the best games.
OZRIC DUB
OZRIC DUB
Posted on 08 February 16 at 06:19
100% agree. There is certainly not enough hours in the day.
I do make an exception if I get a hyped for a must have game but that is rare. I will book holiday off work and tell my wife that I'm having the lounge tv for few days!! So next time I do this will be for the new Mass Effect and the next Red Dead. Ps it's nice to know that I'm not alone!
It annoys me that people with no life or commitments max everything out before us. Peace.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 08 February 16 at 06:41
i work full time, and go to school, i also am a contractor for an IT company as well, i have a hard time finding time to game and my back log is tremendous, due to the GFWL issues i lost alot of games there and im afraid ill lose alot of games when XBL closes down on 360. oh well
My God promised me "hope and change" over 2000 years ago, how is your god working out?
Rhhe82
Rhhe82
Posted on 08 February 16 at 06:41
Even though I don't have a family (despite my "should already have"-high age), I can wholeheartedly agree with this. I work full-time, so there are only limited number of hours in a day, and if you want to seriously immerse yourself in pretty much any game, you have to put in the hours and sacrifice other hobbies, which is something I'm mostly willing to do, but which also makes me feel bad.

Of course, there'd be no problem of I didn't have to sleep. Long gone are the days when I could stay up all night playing Nethack or Angband.
Lockie
Lockie
Posted on 08 February 16 at 06:49
I'm 27 and also don't game as much as I used to. Career, dating, gym and housekeeping just take up too much time. I found that gaming would be something I'd do to avoid the above, which meant for awhile I was on a path to nowhere.

I don't mind long games. I've been plugging away at Fallout New Vegas since June last year and I still enjoy hopping into it for a few hours every week. For the most part I stick with quests/tasks that are achievement-related but the achievements generally cover most of the game anyway.
Posting from sunny Australia.
A7X Unleashed
A7X Unleashed
Posted on 08 February 16 at 07:00
This rings so true with me I turned 30 last year but its been about 2 that ive felt this way. Some games peak my interest enough but about 90% I just cant pit the time and effort in without being bored silly
to be the man you gotta beat the man
XPsychoTrigger
Posted on 08 February 16 at 07:16
I so agree.

A wife of six and a half years, a 3 1/2 year old and a 1 year old limits my time.
I'm scared of ever touching the Witcher games...
ScottMacFreedom
Posted on 08 February 16 at 07:16
Yeah. Gaming is a life choice. That kind of sucks if you chose to dedicate yourself to it, well from my experience at least.
Sure you can be a casual gamer, and that is great. Pick up a controller for half an hour, shoot some guys or do a quest, and move on with life.

I was going to write about 4 other things but really I just sound like a tool. Well I thought so at least. Regardless, you aren't old, neither am I. I openly admit that gaming like I do is a total waste of time which I should use to better myself and the world around me. It's just another addiction that plagues the world. Though I enjoy playing games and choose to ignore those previous thoughts, something went wrong early on in gaming that made it what it is today, a complete time devouring machine that does not better oneself for the amount of time invested.

Wow what the fuck am I babbling about.

I guess my words to the OP are: You have a good life if you can't fit in time for trivial entertainment. I don't think you said anything to contradict my next words here, don't ever think that you are doing something wrong by not enjoying some of these games. Keep living your life with those you love.
Freedom is the right of all sentient beings
LifeExpectancy
LifeExpectancy
Posted on 08 February 16 at 07:26
Great writeup. Saw this in the qeue and nearly couldn't resist the urge to publish it 'raw' and un-proofred, lol.
Blue265
300,390 300,390 GamerScore
Blue265
Posted on 08 February 16 at 07:26
Oh how much I can relate (minus the children). So many times I want to go back and play fallout but i always find it daunting when I have so much to do around the house and on other, much more linear and simpler, games. i remember the days when i had little to no responsibilities living with my parents waking up simply to play games during the week, only having to work the weekend, prime time gaming back then.
I still do my best however I was able to 100% the newest Assassins creed completing every mission, finding all collectibles, finishing all perks. It may of taken me all of January but it is possible to take down those huge epic games.
MuddyAmoeba
MuddyAmoeba
Posted on 08 February 16 at 07:35, Edited on 08 February 16 at 07:37 by MuddyAmoeba
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:I should note that I’m now 26 years old.N0T PENNYS B0AT said:I have a son now. He’s three. I work full-time, my girlfriend goes to school and works too. When our schedules magically align and allow us free time all together, I usually choose not to play solo video games. Instead we’ll go hiking, cook dinner, do laundry, see a movie, whatever it may be. That means a lot of my gaming comes after hours as my family sleeps, and I, the lone night owl, try to make progress on my backlog.
Ahh the early years, believe it or not this is probably the better part of gaming as an 'Adult'. When the kids (yes plural) are young you can game at night. I even combined dad duties with gaming. You opt for the night shift that way you can game and get brownie points.

As they get older things get worse, (gaming wise) , older children want to stay up later, and you need more sleep and have to go to bed earlier. At some point your children are 26. (Yes mine is 25 has her own 2 year old, and guess what they are still living at home (my home)).

This is the point where if you can manage to squeeze in a 20 mins of gaming that is as good as its going to get. You can forget single player story arcs, by the time you come back to it you've forgotten where youre at.

I look forward to retirement when I can play my xbox 3/playstation 6 without having to fight for access to my own lounge room. Sadly with five children its still a long way off.
Game Info Monkey. Hit enough buttons I'll get it right eventually.
KBop a doo
KBop a doo
Posted on 08 February 16 at 07:59
XPhiles in IA said:i work full time, and go to school, i also am a contractor for an IT company as well, i have a hard time finding time to game and my back log is tremendous, due to the GFWL issues i lost alot of games there and im afraid ill lose alot of games when XBL closes down on 360. oh wellCorrect me if I'm wrong but I don't think Xbox Live is going to be closing down on 360 anytime soon... especially since they just added back compat which is running with the 360 Live interface on your One...

360 should have the lifespan of at least the One, if not next gen as well (depending on how they plan to handle BC then).
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 08 February 16 at 08:08, Edited on 08 February 16 at 08:10 by Allgorhythm
"I should note that I’m now 26 years old. I can’t remember exactly what age I was when I started playing games, but it was somewhere in the proverbial ballpark of two decades ago."

I'm 63 years old. I did not start playing video games until I was 20 when I got a Magnavox Odyssey in the fall of 1972. Interestingly, most of the games' graphics came from a different overlay for each game that you would put over the TV screen rather than from the games themselves. Nonetheless, the games were immensely playable. Needless to say, there were no collectibles.
kintaris
kintaris
Posted on 08 February 16 at 08:14
I understand - I rarely have more than 2-3 hours a day - but I don't think it's the open world genre itself that's tiring me out. It's the laziness of design. I would happily adjust my play style so that an open world game lasts me the best part of a year (rather than the unhealthy fortnight it used to take), but I'm unlikely to stick it out if all I have left to do is pick stuff up.

And I'm working through my back catalogue. In fact, I NEVER buy a new game unless my two remaining real life Xbox friends get it too and its a multiplayer. Otherwise? Well, I never got round to playing Witcher 2 or Dragon Age 2 (neither particularly open-world, but still crammed) so I'm going to work through them. It might take me until August - it doesn't matter. For me its more about realising that you don't have to steamroll through everything. Add a new game you like the look of to your wishlist, buy it when it's under £10, and in the meantime work through the other stuff.

And the truth is... 100% completion still gives me a bit of a buzz, even if its full of collection quests. Look at the games I've completed recently - I just did Lego Star Wars, for pity's sake. I first played that a decade ago, but it was still a bit of a buzz to go back and bury it :)

Obviously I have the advantage of not being a game reviewer by trade... My only advice would be to stick as much as possible to shorter games for reviewing so you don't get burnout. After all, there are young upstarts to do those for you :)

29, by the way! But no kids...blessed with a wife who isnt fussed yet and likes to spend quiet nights in. 21:00 to 00:00 game time is acceptable for both of us!
The Nerevarine
Posted on 08 February 16 at 08:32, Edited on 08 February 16 at 08:34 by The Nerevarine
... So stop playing mediocre games to get achievements and do something you enjoy instead. If the game map "is [your] nightmare" then why are you playing it? facepalm

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 08 February 16 at 08:43
You sold-out and grown up. Your vision is clouded.

Put yourself first: dump the chick.

Then focus on becoming less of a work horse and a better homo sapien.
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 08 February 16 at 08:49
LewisNoobBuster said:You sold-out and grown up. Your vision is clouded.

Put yourself first: dump the chick.

Then focus on becoming less of a work horse and a better homo sapien.
Don't cut yourself on that edge, man.
RayTDI
RayTDI
Posted on 08 February 16 at 08:52
Great article Mark,

I can definately relate to your situation.

I have always considered myseld a true gamer since the age of approx. 15 years old, but since a few months I have lost a huge interest in gaming. Eventhough I have some great games in my backlog...I just can't seem to be interested in turning on the Xbox.

Perhaps I just need some time off gaming...in order to enjoy it later on

Regards
Raymond
k0pp0
k0pp0
Posted on 08 February 16 at 09:01
Great article that resonated with this 38 (nearly 39) year old father of 2.

My gaming is my downtime, however I'm *still* trawling through a Dark run of the witcher 2, and have witcher 3 sat there staring at me saying 'You don't have the time for me..'

I want more concise story lines in games, but not more indie games.
baazfury
baazfury
Posted on 08 February 16 at 09:03
Thanks for this article. Seeing that Assassin's Creed: Unity map sums it all up for me. When I saw that map when I played Unity, I said forget it (at least with that game). The game developers upended a garbage can of collectibles onto the map. Enough!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.