Investigations Questions Forum

Question for the Investigations Team? Please remember to keep posts civil, abusive posts can result in loss of posting privileges. Posts in this forum can be read by anyone on the site. Please do not attempt to hijack a thread by posting information not relevant to the original post, start a new thread instead.

Minecraft: Windows 10

AuthorMessage
JumboWario
JumboWario
Posted on 19 February 16 at 18:48, Edited on 20 February 16 at 16:17 by JumboWario
A few months ago it was determined by the investigations manager that downloading another players world was considered cheating. I think it was fair to say that.

With the newest update, an option to Export and Import worlds was added. Would it still be considered cheating to import another players world now that it is a feature in the game? Obviously Microsoft does not see it as cheating if they allowed it, as community collaboration is a large part of Minecraft, but I want to know what TA says. There are guides that include links to world downloads now and I think a new ruling needs to be made before I use them.

Is Importing another players world allowed on TA?

See this thread for the previous discussion.
Game On.
ALollz
ALollz
Posted on 19 February 16 at 19:17, Edited on 19 February 16 at 19:22 by ALollz
Wait for the IM if you want to be certain, but I don't see how this can be considered cheating. The developers are now providing you with the means to export and import files, and so by playing a file provided by another player you are simply taking advantage of a developer tool.

If you look at a game like project spark, there is really no difference. The developers of project spark give you the exact same tools (you can export files for others, and download and import other player's files) and in this game there's no concern about whether downloading an achievement world is cheating. In fact many of the achievements require you to download and play worlds created by others.

The only difference with project spark is that they have a server system in place which makes transferring the save files easy, while Minecraft does not have such a transfer system, and requires you to do it manually and coordinate the transfer. But an export/import system is meaningless without a way to transfer the files, which means that they clearly intend for you to share the files with others. So I don't see how the distinction of a developer providing a transfer tool is enough to warrant it being seen as cheating, when they provide an import and export tool.

You're in no way editing the save files, or accessing them in a way that is forbidden from the developer as you now have explicit access to them.
JumboWario
JumboWario
Posted on 19 February 16 at 19:31
That is what I was thinking but wanted to be absolutely sure. I would hate to lose tracking privileges over it.
Game On.
TangerineGamer
TangerineGamer
Posted on 20 February 16 at 15:53
Came here to ask the same thing lol
IMO as it's part of the game now it shouldn't be an issue, but would like confirmation of this
Yours sincerely, TG
Posted on 20 February 16 at 16:30
Using features a developer offers is not cheating.

The original issue was dealing with editing the save file to force items from creative mode to survival mode.
JumboWario
JumboWario
Posted on 20 February 16 at 16:41
said:Using features a developer offers is not cheating.

The original issue was dealing with editing the save file to force items from creative mode to survival mode.
Thank you!
Game On.
TangerineGamer
TangerineGamer
Posted on 20 February 16 at 17:00
Awesome news .... now does anyone have a world for the original 830GS, or at least some of the tougher/annoying ones? lol
Yours sincerely, TG
JumboWario
JumboWario
Posted on 20 February 16 at 17:37, Edited on 20 February 16 at 17:39 by JumboWario
I was wondering the same thing and was thinking about creating one that would go from 0 ---> 1000G. Depending on which ones you need, I might be able to help you out.
Just send me a message.
Game On.
Stahp
Stahp
Posted on 20 February 16 at 22:00
Looking at the solutions of some of the toughest achivements, there is a shared world which seems to be a an easy solution to all those achivements. But when I watch the associated videos, it really looks like a creative world used in survival.
Is it ok to use this world ?
Stahp
JumboWario
JumboWario
Posted on 20 February 16 at 22:17, Edited on 20 February 16 at 22:17 by JumboWario
As long as the world was not edited outside the game I would say it is OK. If someone edited the world outside of the game, I think that is against the rules.
Game On.
Stahp
Stahp
Posted on 21 February 16 at 08:51
What i can say is that it looks like a creative world, but I don't know if it was edited outside the game.
Am I "guilty" if I use a world that might have been edited by others ?
Stahp
Posted on 22 February 16 at 04:24
No. However, anyone found to be editing a world from creative to survival and sharing it on-site will likely receive a message from the team.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.