Got some ideas about how to make the site better? Post them here

Unregistered friend count recovery

AuthorMessage
Skridger
Skridger
Posted on 07 March 16 at 19:42, Edited on 21 June 16 at 14:38 by Skridger
Update:

After thinking about this a lot, I believe the best solution is this:

-Unregistered users currently on someone's friend list get scanned weekly as they do today
-Unregistered users currently NOT on someone's friend get scanned monthly
-One month after removing an unregistered friend, you get your slot back (So basically, when that user hits their first monthly automatic scan, they get untagged from your friend list) Note that this monthly scan could be increased to bi-monthly, quarterly, or whatever puts the DB load at a reasonable place.

Let me know your thoughts, and don't forget to hit the vote button
------
Original Post:

Greetings,

I know this has been talked about before, but I don't think it has come up on the wishlist forum since the voting was implemented.

I would like the ability to recover some of my unregistered friend slots.

I'm ok with only having 20, (On a paid account) but my friend list changes over time. I currently only have 5 or 6 on my friend list, and I am unable to add anyone new.

There are various reasons why I may want to take someone off my list.

I understand why the restriction is there, because if there was no limit, this would cause an enormous added strain on the DBs.

I suggest that once an unregistered user has no gamertags friending it, it gets purged from the DB, freeing up any slots.

If there's a situation where I've added an unregistered user, and another user also adds them, when I remove them from my list they will either switch over to take up an available slot of the other person who added them, or if that person does not have an available slot, automatically be removed from their list (With a PM informing them) and be purged from the DB.

Perhaps there can be a "timeout" on the purge so that you have to wait 30 days before the purge occurs, and you get back your slot. (To prevent people from constantly adding and removing folks)

Personally, my biggest draw to TA is the ability to compare myself to my friends, whether they're registered on the site or not.

Thanks for listening!
LV 1 Blue Slime
Posted on 07 March 16 at 20:52
The more GTs we have on the site the more accurate the stats are, so I don't think "purging" will ever be a thing here.
"Slutty outfit? You're one to talk." "This isn't slutty, it's strategically placed."
Skridger
Skridger
Posted on 09 March 16 at 13:18
By that logic then, why should we be limited at all? If I can add more unregistered people, that would make the stats even more accurate, would it not?

Ideally, if the DBs could handle it, the site should pull ALL gamertags (Or at least all the gamertags that aren't set with privacy turned on)

Also, if I delete a user and add another, we still have the same # of users, correct?

That's really a separate issue though, my suggestion is mainly focused around the inability to keep my friends list updated. I now have very few of my current friends being tracked by the site, so the site gets less and less useful for my purposes.

Right now, there's not much advantage to me being a paid member of the site, I get 3 slots with unpaid, and I'm only able to use 5 or 6 right now. The 20 slots is what I decided to fork over my funds for.
Skridger
Skridger
Posted on 09 March 16 at 13:23
I just went through my list and counted, it's lower than I thought. I only have 3 unregistered friends on my list and I'm not able to add any.

This means, for my personal purposes, being a paid member of the site holds absolutely zero benefit to me. This is the only feature of paid that drew me in.
Skridger
Skridger
Posted on 09 March 16 at 15:03
Another way to mitigate the issue of purging users and thus reducing stat accuracy, would be to only purge unregistered users when a user adds a new unregistered user and has no free slots. (But the GT being purged is no longer on their friend's list)

This way, you will never have purges occurring without another user being added, keeping the overall population of the site steady.

Another way, would be to never purge gamertags automatically, but allow users to recover their slots after some time. Perhaps after one month of removing someone from the friends list, the slot recovers for use again. It'll then be up to TA to purge gamertags that are no longer friended if the DB starts to take too much load.
LV 1 Blue Slime
Posted on 09 March 16 at 22:30
Skridger said:By that logic then, why should we be limited at all? If I can add more unregistered people, that would make the stats even more accurate, would it not?Ideally, yeah. Storing all the data TA does costs money though, and if he opened the floodgates for new accounts, I imagine the site would drown pretty quickly. There's tens of millions of accounts out there, we only track about 350k of them as is. I don't see any way around having some sort of cap.
"Slutty outfit? You're one to talk." "This isn't slutty, it's strategically placed."
Skridger
Skridger
Posted on 16 March 16 at 13:30, Edited on 16 March 16 at 13:30 by Skridger
I can see the logic in not adding all gamertags to the DB, but there really should be a way to recover slots for use with my friends list. Even if no purge occurred, allow us to re-add friends after a month.

That should stop a huge influx of new GTs on the site. Thinking years down the road, what would that add to the total site population, 100k at most? (I'm thinking much less as not a lot of people will utilize this to a huge extent)
Wyyvern
Wyyvern
Posted on 16 March 16 at 14:45
Given that non-registered users are only scanned once a week, I don't know why the amount of accounts non-pro users can add is so small. It should be 10-20 at least, with pro users it could be 50.
This signature does not exist. Also, dragons.
SKOOT2006
SKOOT2006
Posted on 17 March 16 at 10:24
I'm all for adding or recovering unregistered friend slots but not purging any data.

Perhaps TA could scan your friends list once or twice a year and readjust your allotment based on how many unregistered peeps are currently on your list. That would make abuse more difficult and give you some slots to reuse.
You don't know what you don't know
Skridger
Skridger
Posted on 17 March 16 at 14:39
Wyyvern said:Given that non-registered users are only scanned once a week, I don't know why the amount of accounts non-pro users can add is so small. It should be 10-20 at least, with pro users it could be 50.The only problem with simply raising the limit is that it doesn't get to the root cause. If mine was upped to 50, for example, I can add 30 more people for a total of 33 on my list.

Next year, maybe I remove 20 of them, now I only have 13 of my 50.

There needs to be a mechanism to recover these slots in some way, or after some time.

whether or not any purging would be needed is irrelevant really, that would be a decision for TA to make when deciding how to implement the change.

I am sure this could be implemented in such a way that wouldn't impact the DB performance too badly. Heck, if need be, change the scans for unregistered users to 2 weeks. Theoretically, that should allow for double the unregistered users we have right now without any performance hit, and a minor storage hit.
Skridger
Skridger
Posted on 16 June 16 at 17:13
Another possible work-around is that no purging occurs, but when you remove a friend, you get your slot back 1 month later. And,, that user no longer gets updated at all as long as nobody else has them on their list.

There are several ways this could be handled without causing a huge server load issue. It could come down to a vote, or for TA to simply implement the solution that makes the most sense from a technical perspective.
Skeptical Mario
Posted on 16 June 16 at 17:23
I agree this should get some consideration.
Skridger
Skridger
Posted on 16 June 16 at 18:24
Make sure to vote for it so TA will consider it.
Skridger
Skridger
Posted on 21 June 16 at 14:23
After thinking about this a lot, I believe the best solution is this:

-Unregistered users currently on someone's friend list get scanned weekly as they do today
-Unregistered users currently NOT on someone's friend get scanned monthly
-One month after removing an unregistered friend, you get your slot back (So basically, when that user hits their first monthly automatic scan, they get untagged from your friend list) Note that this monthly scan could be increased to bi-monthly, quarterly, or whatever puts the DB load at a reasonable place.

Let me know your thoughts, and don't forget to hit the vote button
x SNAKE5 x
x SNAKE5 x
Posted on 21 September 17 at 09:04
I understand the database overhead, but I agree that it would be good if at some irregular interval friends lists could be purged of 'deleted' entries to allow new ones to be added.

As a Pro user, it is a key feature which currently I can't use at all due to having hit the 20 limit and not knowing it.
Skridger
Skridger
Posted on 19 December 17 at 16:17
Just wanted to come back to this to update with my own personal situation. I've recently decided not to renew my pro account because I just can't justify the price for the few features I'm getting.

I can't count the increase in unregistered friend count as a feature due to the issue described above, which definitely contributes to my decision.

Previously, I was a pro member on both TA and TT. Also have interest in TSA, but have yet to subscribe.
Skridger
Skridger
Posted on 14 September 18 at 14:10, Edited on 14 September 18 at 14:11 by Skridger
So, I am a pro member again and once again have access to my 20 slots

These slots are definitely not releasing properly when you get friends to register. I just got a friend to register and I can see that he's showing as a registered user in my friends list. I did this, because I want to add one of my friends (Who has no interest in this site) to my unregistered friends list.

Still cannot add him. It's not the first time I've had someone register so I could open a slot and slots never open for me. Something is not working properly.
Skridger
Skridger
Posted on 11 September 19 at 16:18
Wondering if this one ever got looked at at all. I would love to hear from TA about this issue.

If it has been addressed, apologies for digging it up. I gave up on adding friends a long time ago due to this, and honestly my participation in this site has decreased significantly as a result.

I am still a pro user, but I don't think I'll be renewing again unless this gets fixed. This is the only feature that holds a value to me.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.