Community Events Archive Forum

Forum for the Zombie Event 2016 Event

Ultimate Head to Head 2016 - Discussion

AuthorMessage
MidniteDLITE
MidniteDLITE
Posted on 26 May 16 at 14:48
Mr Granstaff said:Pretty impressive showing of talent this last week. Well done.

Glad to see a good showing of sportsmanship too. Too bad the wannabe comedians here shouldn't quit their day job though. facepalm
Oh, the irony!
Mr Granstaff
Mr Granstaff
Posted on 26 May 16 at 15:07
laugh You really must have it out for me. Have a feeling your blood pressure rises whenever you see my posts. Calm down, yeah? Have no animosity towards you.

Don't understand why you make it out like it's a sin for someone to have a change of heart or trying to turn over a new leaf. I left a genuine compliment while poking fun at Jimbot.

Oh. How could I forget? This is the Internet. Please continue spreading the hate. wink
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." — Mark Twain
DANIELJJ14
DANIELJJ14
Posted on 26 May 16 at 15:41
Okay just a few things to clear up before I write my summary of the matchup,

MidniteDLITE said:I don't think JimbotUK is a minion - I think he has Stockholm Syndrome! laughsmile Somebody needs to save him!

Period 1
Cakau beat NitrousSpeed 4 - 0
DANIELJJ14 beat JimbotUK 18 - 17shock
JimbotUK is not just any old random that I just so happened to beat week 1, he is a good friend of mine and we have known each other a long time and it was probably the shittest thing that happened in this contest that we were matched up round 1.
Since then he has been supporting me the whole way through whether it was through research or co-op based achievements, so his interest and passion for the contest and the discussion boards is easily justified, we've also talked about many issues that have arisen during the contest behind the scenes, so although he's not posting stuff on my behalf we generally have come to similar logical conclusions.
A massive shout out to The Yiddler for also helping me obtain a lot of co-op stuff as well, my Crimson dragon buddy. And thanks to all the randoms who I jumped in multiplayer sessions with to gain those crappy achievements.

Now I've cleared that up I'm ready to make my proper monster post, here goes!
Mr Granstaff
Mr Granstaff
Posted on 26 May 16 at 15:46
@ DANIELJJ14 - Bad guys don't have friends! You've lost some rep points for that admission. Give me that toothpick. You don't deserve it. wink

Oh, and you can leave out that bit about making babies and all. If that stuff got out in public... redface
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." — Mark Twain
Ereaser NL
Ereaser NL
Posted on 26 May 16 at 17:47
Mr Granstaff said:laugh You really must have it out for me.He lost his matchup against Cakau so he's still a bit #MentallyDefeated so just ignore him ;)
Mr Granstaff
Mr Granstaff
Posted on 26 May 16 at 17:53
I have a feeling that hashtag will continue to be a thing for quite some time. :)

Haven't noticed it on Twitter yet. Surely it's been trending by now!
Artie
Artie
Posted on 26 May 16 at 19:29
SpiralGamerpro said:Artie said:Instead of another head to head contest, I'd like to see the head to head matchup become a site feature that players can play on demand week to week. I loved the UHH march madness format and hope it returns. but frankly when 75% of the players are done by the third round plus the long term commitment one has to make to gaming if you go deep. Real life does get in the way sometimes.

The h2h 20 achievement format was a lot of fun and would be nice to be able to participate in that type of contest more often as well as it being available to more users of this site. Heck make it a benefit of TA pro..
Well, the whole appeal of it to me was that UHH was the most motivating way for me to get through my backlog. If it's just an on-demand site feature, then I wouldn't really bother. That's why I suggested a league system with playoffs at the end to make it a long-term contest that is still competitive.
Actually, our ideas are not incompatible. By on demand, I'm suggesting that that players can come and go as their schedules permit. I'm sure a lot of work went into coding the contest structure and matching algorithm and it would be a shame for it not to be utilized more on the site or exclusively on a annual contest with an extremely high player decay rate. As others pointed out, I loved the fact the game encouraged me to play and make progress in games off the backlog.

The on demand tournament could be set up to begins weekly and matchups are created for all players who elected to join that week and match-up done just like the UHH with a caveat that players are not rematched if they've played recently. Tournamentification (Yes, a word I just made up in honor of today's spelling bee) would be supported with leaderboards of win/loss records over a contest period (year/quarter) with playoffs/UHH added in for formal bragging rights.
DANIELJJ14
DANIELJJ14
Posted on 26 May 16 at 22:45, Edited on 26 May 16 at 23:00 by DANIELJJ14
WARNING! The following post you are about to read has been rated S for salt.

*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
Psparky27
Psparky27
Posted on 26 May 16 at 23:33
Funny no mention of Hexic.......
Cakau
Cakau
Posted on 26 May 16 at 23:46
Psparky27 said:Funny no mention of Hexic.......Funny, indeed...
Profilia
Profilia
Posted on 27 May 16 at 00:28
So where do we order our #Cakau t-shirts?
Debbyh
Debbyh
Posted on 27 May 16 at 02:29
Profilia said:So where do we order our #Cakau t-shirts?My husband's T-shirts are not for sale. They are all mine, exclusively.

Sorry
Cakau
Cakau
Posted on 27 May 16 at 02:35
Debbyh said:Profilia said:So where do we order our #Cakau t-shirts?My husband's T-shirts are not for sale. They are all mine, exclusively.

Sorry
Er... You're right my darling... Heheh. Always.
Mystic Typh00n
Posted on 27 May 16 at 02:48
laugh
How much for the whole kitten kaboodle?
ChinDocta
ChinDocta
Posted on 27 May 16 at 02:59
DANIELJJ14 said:2. When it reaches the quarter finals lists should be hand picked because the final list was so much better than it has been in previous weeks, also if lists are hand picked you have much more control over the time it will take to complete all matches which in turn makes the semis fairer and the final also. My only complaint is about the inclusion of seriously but this brings me onto point 3.0I agree to an extent. I would still prefer the algorithm to do the majority of the work, but I'd like to have the higher ups look over the lists rather than having them hand craft them all. Means the competition still remains objective (not that I'm accusing any higher up that they would manipulate things) while still allowing for randomness and luck. They can still remove "unfair" achievements and get the algorithm to cough up something different if need be.
Nekro Neko
Nekro Neko
Posted on 27 May 16 at 03:30
One thing I was thinking that might make the first week or two better would be to fill up the games that would have had byes with users who made the most achievements but were still knocked out. There were a few people that I remember that got knocked out after getting 19 of the 20 achievements or 20 in some cases. This would be better than giving someone a free ride to the next round. Wouldn't have saved me, so personally, no bias in my opinion here.
www.cyberscore.me.uk
DANIELJJ14
DANIELJJ14
Posted on 27 May 16 at 05:37, Edited on 27 May 16 at 06:41 by DANIELJJ14
Cakau said:Psparky27 said:Funny no mention of Hexic.......Funny, indeed...That's because my game plan was getting the other two first because they would take the longest then I was going to finish off with it, since all that achievement involves is a bit of research and being careful, I never even attempted it in the end since you were already finished.
Let's be real if you can get Geometry wars you can get hexic, and trying to insinuate that I wouldn't have been able to do it after it took you a few hours is silly, I expect trashy posts from sparky that reduce paragraphs of analysis into a stupid one liner, but that is the reason why I didn't get Grand Pearl Pooh-Bah not because it's too hard.
rekikire
rekikire
Posted on 27 May 16 at 06:51
DANIELJJ14 said:5. Byes, if you run the contest again setup byes to bring it down to the correct number of players sooner, so that everyone has to win a match to get into the prize positions.
Mentioned it before. Double elimination, instead of single elimination, gets rid of the byes.
Psparky27
Psparky27
Posted on 27 May 16 at 09:43
DANIELJJ14 said:Cakau said:Psparky27 said:Funny no mention of Hexic.......Funny, indeed...That's because my game plan was getting the other two first because they would take the longest then I was going to finish off with it, since all that achievement involves is a bit of research and being careful, I never even attempted it in the end since you were already finished.
Let's be real if you can get Geometry wars you can get hexic, and trying to insinuate that I wouldn't have been able to do it after it took you a few hours is silly, I expect trashy posts from sparky that reduce paragraphs of analysis into a stupid one liner, but that is the reason why I didn't get Grand Pearl Pooh-Bah not because it's too hard.
Well It was clear that the key to the final was not who was where in "Jet Pack and Battle Block " but who will get the Skill/luck based ticks of Geometry wars and Hexic first.

We have all been there in the competition where someone has a) had a huge advantage as they finished their match early and b) faced an achievement where someone is way ahead. In my Match up with Neo He was further ahead in Darksiders 2, Burnout and Tomb Raider. That is the nature and the beauty of the competition. Some you win and some you lose unfortunately this time you lost.

I'm sorry that the only response to your post was my one liner. I can see why that may have been upsetting after all the effort you put in.I don't feel it was stupid or trashy because it was prompted a response that you explained your thoughts regarding that achievement.

Now what I would really like to hear is Cakau's take on the final. :)
JimbotUK
JimbotUK
Posted on 27 May 16 at 09:59
@Psparky You are completely wrong.

The Jetpac achievement is harder and longer than both geometry wars and hexic combined, this achievement preload was without a doubt the deciding factor of the finals.

Perhaps you could actually have played the game to completion before you decide what was likely a 15+ hour deficit is negligible in a round that lasted less than 60 hours.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.