Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Why the Hate for Episodic Games?

AuthorMessage
LeXXuz
LeXXuz
Posted on 20 March 16 at 19:19, Edited on 21 March 16 at 09:57 by LeXXuz
So here it is. A game where I have to pay full price right now to get full entertainment somewhere in the future. LOL. What am I to you Square Enix? Your private creditor?

EDIT: It seems I was mistaken.

However, I didn't like this when season passes for dlc showed up and I don't like this for full games at all.

I still prefer retail over digital any time.
So I'll wait for a complete retail version of the main game. Then they can have my money. Otherwise I'll pass. Thanks.
Ahayzo
Ahayzo
Posted on 20 March 16 at 19:35
lLeXXuzl said:So here it is. A game where I have to pay full price right now to get full entertainment somewhere in the future. LOL. What am I to you Square Enix? Your private creditor?And this is the common BS excuse. You have to pay right now? Weird, I don't remember ever being forced to preorder the rest of the episodic content to play what's available now.
the games masta
Posted on 20 March 16 at 20:08, Edited on 20 March 16 at 20:14 by the games masta
As someone who has bought the full game and completed the first episode, I was prepared to give it a go but after completing everything there isn't a great deal pulling me back for more, so I probably won't play it again now until next month (I did take about 20 hours to get all achievements which is good value for 1 episode)

It is a good hitman game, but the server issues are a killer!
Neezer
Neezer
Posted on 20 March 16 at 20:45
ClockWrkPhantom said:Its a nice review but why write it if you're not going to play the game or at least the intro pack before you really give your 2 cents.This.
ParticleDuality
Posted on 20 March 16 at 21:39
I lose interest over the time in between the episodes. It's a way for them to fail to deliver time and time again. You're paying someone for an unfinished product.

Those are the reasons that I hate episodic games. Short and sweet.
Nyxil
Nyxil
Posted on 20 March 16 at 21:44
Article lost credibility because author liked Life is Strange.
Parallax Demon
Posted on 20 March 16 at 22:05
Nyxil said:Article lost credibility because author liked Life is Strange.You do realise it has a 4.5 score from 2381 voters and received the GotY for adventure games?
Hanx
Hanx
Posted on 20 March 16 at 22:28
I don't like how it's just called Hitman. I mean it isn't the first Hitman so why not add a name or number on the end? It's like if the next Call of Duty was just called Call of Duty. Why not call Titanfall 2, Titanfall? Stupid.
Ereaser NL
Ereaser NL
Posted on 20 March 16 at 23:16
I hate episodic games, but only if I have to wait for episodes.

I got TWD S1, GoT and Tales from the Borderlands on sale.
- Totally got into Game of Thrones, but the last episode wasn't out yet... I complete that episode way later than the first 5.
- For Tales from the Borderlands I just waited till all of them were available, but then still didn't start it. Thanks to UHH though I've started it and really liking it so far :)
- I got the Walking Dead Season 1 later and just played through it in one go. The constant recaps between episodes got quite annoying though, since I just played through the previous episode!
finallife6
finallife6
Posted on 21 March 16 at 00:02
Why do episodic games suck its one simple answer really, an excuse to release a game unfinished and sell the rest later.

Why sell games full when you can ship them later and get zero flack for it? Seriously, I always hear to stop then we get a good chunk of people buying the games anyways THEN maybe complaining later and repeat the cycle. Now with full Triple A games its gotten too far. You could defend a game and say that "well the game's well portioned out into chapters like in Telltale games' but you can't use that excuse when the game is purposly built that way to make it portioned like that on purpiose.

You want episodic gaming show that you buy the game when it comes out fully, if you don't then buy as it is now, just don't complain later once you support the amount of compainies walking a thin line right now (Square Enix and Telltale I'm looking at you, though Square's two examples haven't been abysmal so they might have the edge then the company who put out Game of Thrones and Minecraft Story Mode)
JMJimmy
JMJimmy
Posted on 21 March 16 at 01:24
sanityends said:JMJimmy said:I've stopped buying games entirely. There was a time when game companies tried to act in an responsible manner, certain lines that would not be crossed (pay to win). Unfortunately big business & greed have mired the industry. There are few titles that even appeal let alone that I want to run out and buy. The desire to game is still there but until this monetization craze passes and they get back to selling complete experiences my gaming has been replaced with mindless 'background' grinds while I do more enjoyable things.I understand but you must realize this is only going in the opposite direction?Absolutely, but like any industry there will be a correction in the market. Gamers are not endless money factories and at some point it will hit saturation. Who know what the industry will look like once that happens.
Life, it's funny that way.
Mobius Evalon
Mobius Evalon
Posted on 21 March 16 at 01:43, Edited on 21 March 16 at 01:49 by Mobius Evalon
Honestly it's no different than DLC is now.

Problem is, there's a big difference between a game designed from the ground up to be episodic and a game that was developed in its entirely and then broken into more expensive chunks. With as many iterations Hitman went though before it got to us, there's no chance it's anything but the latter.

JMJimmy said:I've stopped buying games entirely. There was a time when game companies tried to act in an responsible manner, certain lines that would not be crossed (pay to win). Unfortunately big business & greed have mired the industry. There are few titles that even appeal let alone that I want to run out and buy. The desire to game is still there but until this monetization craze passes and they get back to selling complete experiences my gaming has been replaced with mindless 'background' grinds while I do more enjoyable things.This can be fixed with a three simple changes that will never happen:

1) no more preorders on everything that's not some kind of rarity to get ahold of or an import or something. If it's AAA, don't preorder it.

2) buy games with shitty practices used. Go ahead and play it if you must, but don't buy a new copy to give the publisher/developer the idea that what they're doing is okay.

c) don't buy season passes. It carries the same problem as preordering when you're buying a product sight unseen now and are being promised a value worth the investment later.
My opinions are often unpopular and acerbic.
EaseAndInspire
Posted on 21 March 16 at 02:01
Mobius Evalon said:Honestly it's no different than DLC is now.

Problem is, there's a big difference between a game designed from the ground up to be episodic and a game that was developed in its entirely and then broken into more expensive chunks. With as many iterations Hitman went though before it got to us, there's no chance it's anything but the latter.

JMJimmy said:I've stopped buying games entirely. There was a time when game companies tried to act in an responsible manner, certain lines that would not be crossed (pay to win). Unfortunately big business & greed have mired the industry. There are few titles that even appeal let alone that I want to run out and buy. The desire to game is still there but until this monetization craze passes and they get back to selling complete experiences my gaming has been replaced with mindless 'background' grinds while I do more enjoyable things.This can be fixed with a three simple changes that will never happen:

1) no more preorders on everything that's not some kind of rarity to get ahold of or an import or something. If it's AAA, don't preorder it.

2) buy games with shitty practices used. Go ahead and play it if you must, but don't buy a new copy to give the publisher/developer the idea that what they're doing is okay.

c) don't buy season passes. It carries the same problem as preordering when you're buying a product sight unseen now and are being promised a value worth the investment later.
D) stop buying used games. If the developer sees one sale while six people have played it obviously they are going to try to make money by other means ie season passes, pre order season passes micro transactions etc
Aye, we left you. You're fat, and slow, and we didn't want to die.
Marcos Aspira
Marcos Aspira
Posted on 21 March 16 at 02:24, Edited on 21 March 16 at 02:25 by Marcos Aspira
Not sure about what to think with FF VII remake being a episodic title... played a bit on PS1 emulator. Square Enix better get right with that purpose... warning

About unfinished episodic games, only one name comes to mind: Dark Dreams Don't Die cry
ComboChrist
ComboChrist
Posted on 21 March 16 at 02:31
Has everyone forgotten what about happened to Half Life Episode 3? Oh wait..
the sconnie
the sconnie
Posted on 21 March 16 at 02:37
EaseAndInspire said:Mobius Evalon said:Honestly it's no different than DLC is now.

D) stop buying used games. If the developer sees one sale while six people have played it obviously they are going to try to make money by other means ie season passes, pre order season passes micro transactions etc
Actually, I agree with Mobius... just the first three tenets are necessary here. Look at Number 2... "Buy games with shitty practices used." He never said "Don't buy new games."
Spelunkie
Posted on 21 March 16 at 03:33
The whole "People don't like change" argument doesn't work here in my opinion. If HITMAN were adding new mechanics and innovative features to the beloved franchise, then that is what is supposed to happen. Those changes are positive whether or not they're good, and how they are received is based on the individual's opinion.

But making a game episodic? That isn't a feature or cool new idea. It makes no sense. Why would anybody want to play a game like that? Playing snippets of it only to wait a month or a few to continue? It adds nothing to HITMAN. It just removes.
House Cat tK
House Cat tK
Posted on 21 March 16 at 04:15
I actually think Hitman lends itself to episodic releases quite well. I'm not really a fan of it but as some people have mentioned it takes time to get the full experience. Most if mybtime gaming I'm playing Halo, Rocket League, or the life consuming never see anyone again Ark. With an episodic game I really want to play it will give me a nice distraction from my over competitive nature. I completely get how others who like to sink themselves into a story would dislike it but it fits .u needs perfect.

For Hitman when you can break up missions easily simply because let's face it Hitman has never had the best in depth stories. If they tried this with an Arkham or Halo game as examokes I would full on riot. Which of course would fail cause a one man riot is pretty useless.
Skye Customs on Facebook Instagram @Skye_Customs
Vitiated1
Vitiated1
Posted on 21 March 16 at 05:55
It's fairly simple really. When you go to the movies, do you go to see the first half hour one day, go back the net month for the next part, and continue watching in small chunks until you reach the end? Of course not. When I play a campaign, I play for a complete story.

Even things like the Modern Warfare series, sure it's 3 games, but each single title has its own complete story in it. I want a complete experience all at once, not several short chunks divided across a few months.
WJS Osiris
WJS Osiris
Posted on 21 March 16 at 06:57, Edited on 21 March 16 at 06:58 by WJS Osiris
Vitiated1 said:It's fairly simple really. When you go to the movies, do you go to see the first half hour one day, go back the net month for the next part, and continue watching in small chunks until you reach the end? Of course not. When I play a campaign, I play for a complete story.

Even things like the Modern Warfare series, sure it's 3 games, but each single title has its own complete story in it. I want a complete experience all at once, not several short chunks divided across a few months.
depends did you go see the hobbit laugh people really loved what they did with it
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.

Account Settings

In order for TrueAchievements to track your games and achievements correctly, it is required that we have access to your achievements. If your achievements are not being scanned in, it is likely that your privacy settings are not allowing this. To correct this, please follow these instructions:

1. Log into https://www.xbox.com/

2. Click on My Account in the top toolbar.
My Account location.

3. Scroll down to Safety and select Manage my privacy and online safety.
Privacy and online safety location.

4. Scroll down to 'Others can'. You need to make sure that 'Everybody' can see your game and app history
Game and app history location.

These steps will allow TrueAchievements to update all of your achievements across all Xbox platforms.