Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Table For One: Playing Alone in the Era of Multiplayer

AuthorMessage
Twinkling82
Twinkling82
Posted on 11 April 16 at 00:29
L0ST Legends said:Personally I think all multiplayer is terrible, games should stick to single player campaigns and the option to play in coop if they want to.Not all MP games are terrible. Take Titanfall. I'm not into shooters, even less in an online environment - but I had HUGE fun playing for a week, couldn't put it down.

It just got a wee bit repetitive, even changing the modes didn't help. What Titanfall did right was adding a superpower in the form of the mechs, so you didn't have to die every other 20 seconds all the time. A mech holds up for around a minute of heavy fight. But the most elegant they did was adding AI/CPU fighters to fill up the lobby. It adds the feel of killing more and that adds to the feel of accomplishment.

The SCHWARTZ 00 said:You'll never know how good you really are unless you play MP. You can beat up on a predictable AI enemy all day long, but how will you fare against a human opponent who has quicker reflexes and his moves can't be telegraphed? Maybe you're not as good as you thought you were.

That's a scary thought. And that's one of the main reasons why most people stick to single player only.
I'm sorry but that is a load of BS. It might be your view point of it, and you're entitled to that - then again I have completely rights to tell you I disagree. In the case of me, I prefer singleplayer games so I can pick up and play whenever I want, even if it is just for 20 minutes. I can't do that with multiplayer as I would have to play against randoms that can be much better for me (thus making the experience quite boring as I would spend most of the time dead! so you are partly correct but your way of saying it is ignorant and judgemental) or I would need to find friends and agree on a time to play.. which then again means I can't just pick up and play.

I play games for the experience, for the story that is being told. Not to be competitive.

HuwCW87 said:I dont really fully agree, although i do like a good single player, i love online only shooters, games like unreal tournement, garden warfare and hybrid to name a few, ill deff be getting overwatch aswell, i never used to but i think now id probably say i prefer competitive multiplayer to single playerOverwatch will be one of the few for me. I've enjoyed TF2 playing with people in the same room, and I plan to do this with Overwatch with the same people. But I am hesitating to get it at launch because of the price.

ORIGENxGarboMan said:I absolutely despised the Where's My Campaign? article. I thought it was narrow-minded and self-centered. It seemed the author thought "well multiplayer doesn't appeal to me so everything should be marketed towards me and everything should be single player."
I think that takes it too far. I expected to read that article after commenting here, but I went and read it to reply to you. Rebecca just uses other words and only takes the games that she was looking forward to and showing her disappointment that they wasn't singleplayer as expected at some point, at least with Patriots. And I agree. I'm especially bummed out with Battlefront - I've enjoyed the training modes so far, and I won't be going back anytime soon.

Major Lokey said:But there are some gamers who just don't like MP for whatever reason. Maybe they just never tried to enjoy it. Maybe played online for 5 minutes and never gave it a real chance. MP games are here to stay no matter your view on the subject, aside from the majority of achievement hunters who dislike MP, there is a huge market in the MP gaming community, and we can thank the quality of games these days to the success an money that is brought in from MP gaming."maybe they never tried to enjoy it" ... what? Just because some people disagree with you, we didn't try hard enough? Dude...

The argument for quality of games is due to multiplayer games? Sorry. That's CRAP. Go look. Basically every frikkin' singleplayer games looks, performs and presents themselves 10 times better than any MP game you compare with.

CompanyOfWolves said:Ultimately it's all about money. If you want to see more quality single player games support those that do appear whenever possible.Well said.
gamingirl on hiatus, new project underway - can't wait to try and raise the numbers again!
Bar6arian
Bar6arian
Posted on 11 April 16 at 00:55
I don't understand how MP still dominates when so many people don't like it including myself. Guess when I was younger it was cool but now I don't have the time nor the patience. With disconnects, lag, and people quitting out it just isn't fun anymore. I just wish SP games had some type of reply value other than collectibles or completion on a more difficult level.
MthsD
MthsD
Posted on 11 April 16 at 01:11
I'm with you, buddy.
@MthsD
Twinkling82
Twinkling82
Posted on 11 April 16 at 01:21
Bar6arian said:I don't understand how MP still dominates when so many people don't like it including myself. Guess when I was younger it was cool but now I don't have the time nor the patience. With disconnects, lag, and people quitting out it just isn't fun anymore. I just wish SP games had some type of reply value other than collectibles or completion on a more difficult level.I guess it is easier to implement - and convince players - of microtransactions for MP games. laugh seriously tho.. this is the game industry trying to save themselves...
gamingirl on hiatus, new project underway - can't wait to try and raise the numbers again!
Deep Space K9
Posted on 11 April 16 at 01:45
I don't have a problem with multiplayer itself, but what really annoys me are the games that are multiplayer-only. I don't want to sink up to USD$60 into a game only for it to become unplayable sometime later due to server closures.

I further dislike being forced into playing with other people. If I'm going to play with other people, it needs to be when I want and on my terms, otherwise the game sits on a shelf until 'the mood' for dealing with it just randomly strikes.

That said, I'm not forced to buy multiplayer-only games, and I'm sure a number of them exist. As long as games exist like Elite: Dangerous and Tom Clancy's The Division, which offer options for a more solo or multiplayer experience whenever you want to switch, I'm a happy gamer.
Warlord Zym
Warlord Zym
Posted on 11 April 16 at 01:46
My problem with multiplayer is simple physics. The cable company isn't going to lay down lines from the nearest town (10 miles away from where the cable stops, and no houses at all for 4 miles) so I have satellite internet. Works fine if I download games at night, but the lag from traveling 20,000 miles into space and back leaves almost all multiplayer impossible.

I could play Destiny, but not with other people. I'd connect on my own, explore on my own, and raid on my own. That and other games just won't connect me in a lobby.

I'm all for single player, baby. Until I buy a new house somewhere.
Sashamorning
Sashamorning
Posted on 11 April 16 at 01:55
All-MP games annoy me, especially because I don't like playing with randoms. Some games run a decent balance, but I really don't like MP when I'm basically by myself. What I really don't like is the PvP. If I can play co-op with a group of randoms, it isn't as terrible, but I really can't stand competitive MP. Inevitably some group finds a way to exploit the system and makes it terrible for any new players, or the servers are just ghosts.

There's practically no way to fairly balance it either, or else developers don't want to do it. Take The Division, for example. There are people with high levels having used patched-out exploits running around just to pick off lower level players. Worse, servers are set to player levels from the outside PvE areas, NOT the DZ PvP arena. It's a lot easier to level up through missions, but running a level 30/DZ-level 5 player into the same server as level 30/DZ-level 71 players is just plain unfair and not fun. Yes, this could simply be a baseline problem with this game, but still.

So then there's Titanfall. Newer players get pwned over, and over, and over again "until they figure out how to play the game." Right. What ends up happening is that the servers become populated with diehards who know all the tricks. Yes, that's the way the cookie crumbles, but once again, the game rather quickly devolves into players who live on a game, and others who try it for a bit, get frustrated and dump it.

I agree with the article. Give me SP games, or co-op MP. I get that there are people who really love online PvP-MP, but so often it's implemented poorly.

I've wondered for years if MS gives devs some sort of incentive to have players play on XBL, leading to MP in games that make no sense. I have no idea if that's true, but it often feels like it.

A solid, well-written narrative trumps any sort of MP. I'm glad that there are so many improvements in recent years along this front.
Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth. Always carry [popcorn].
Warlord Zym
Warlord Zym
Posted on 11 April 16 at 02:05
Sashamorning said:I've wondered for years if MS gives devs some sort of incentive to have players play on XBL, leading to MP in games that make no sense. I have no idea if that's true, but it often feels like it.

A solid, well-written narrative trumps any sort of MP. I'm glad that there are so many improvements in recent years along this front.
I loved the rebooted Tomb Raider so so much. I felt the story was incredible and immersive, and well paced. The gameplay-combining shooters, platformers, and quick time events was solid. Then I saw, for some strange reason, there was multiplayer.

Who wanted that? It made no sense.
MC PHILABUSTA
MC PHILABUSTA
Posted on 11 April 16 at 02:35
I'd love a single campaign in Titanfall 2!... I also hate tacked on ,unneeded multiplayer .
JeDiMlnDTrlcks
Posted on 11 April 16 at 02:51
I forgot to say that if the multiplayer is done right, I have no problems with it, even if it's supposed to be a single player only game. Mass Effect 3 multiplayer is awesome, horde mode, but with huge guns, playing as krogan and whatnot, bio and tech abilities. I hope in Mass Effect Andromeda they take it a step further and include space battles like in Battlefront 2 with AI. Imagine taking on a capital enemy ship with your friends in fighters, destroy shields, board it, and then fight the enemy with bio, tech, big guns and all of that glory.

This is Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite game on the Citadel.
PlayUltimate711
Posted on 11 April 16 at 03:06
Twinkling82 said:ORIGENxGarboMan said:I absolutely despised the Where's My Campaign? article. I thought it was narrow-minded and self-centered. It seemed the author thought "well multiplayer doesn't appeal to me so everything should be marketed towards me and everything should be single player."
I think that takes it too far. I expected to read that article after commenting here, but I went and read it to reply to you. Rebecca just uses other words and only takes the games that she was looking forward to and showing her disappointment that they wasn't singleplayer as expected at some point, at least with Patriots. And I agree. I'm especially bummed out with Battlefront - I've enjoyed the training modes so far, and I won't be going back anytime soon.
Yeah, sure. I personally would prefer to see a real campaign in some of these games as well. My response to that article is here:
Where's My Campaign?

Basically one of my biggest problems with these statements is that I think this site is biased towards single player games. The people who play a couple multiplayer games 24/7, spending all their time working on getting better, are probably not going to be well represented on an achievement site since they're only playing a couple games and not hunting achievements in lots of games. I suppose I reacted so strongly with my word choice because I see so many people saying "Well I want single player! I don't see anyone wanting multiplayer!" Things like the league of legends fan base show that there are a TON of people who are okay with a competitive multiplayer game.

Again, I understand what you're saying. I prefer single player. I just think there's a big market for multiplayer and you sort of have to accept that not everything is going to cater to your interests.
FLIPPIN FLAMINGO, MAN!
JMJimmy
JMJimmy
Posted on 11 April 16 at 03:54
MP is the LAST thing I want to do when I game with the exception of

- Couch coop
- Turn based strategy games (like CCGs)
- The odd FPS like Titanfall which holds my interest for a time but I'd rather play Bioshock again over Titanfall MP
Life, it's funny that way.
SKOOT2006
SKOOT2006
Posted on 11 April 16 at 05:06
I used to love MP, but party chat killed it for me. Nobody talks anymore. It used to be fun meeting new friends and talking trash. Now everyone is in a party and communication is dead. I don't mind most MP, but I can only handle it in small doses. Just bores me to death.

Co-op on the other hand, is usually good fun. Especially couch co-op with my kids. But I live for the immersive story. I want to put reality on hold and get lost in the characters and events.
You don't know what you don't know
War Numen
War Numen
Posted on 11 April 16 at 05:15, Edited on 11 April 16 at 05:30 by War Numen
I made far too many mistakes in buying multiplayer only titles recently.

I bought Evolve, R6: Seige & Battlefront. I'm not saying that i didn't get some enjoyment out of these games but after the recent interviews with developers using excuses like 'The campaign takes 75% of our budget!', i have decided that i no longer have room for multiplayer only titles in my budget.

I'm just done with it, I don't see these multiplayer games being 75% better because they only work on multiplayer. It's absolute horse shit and we shouldn't be letting developers think that cutting arguably the most important part of a title out completely, is in any way Okay.

Enough with the micro-transactions too, it's just so dirty. Nothing > Real DLC > Spontaneous Combustion > Micro-transactions. Multiplayer only titles just need to skip the bullshit, they should be released free, disease riddled with micro-transactions just like what the developers are actually aiming for. You know all they really want is that Candycrush money.
MugenKairo
MugenKairo
Posted on 11 April 16 at 06:17
A very well-written article, the author is someone I definitely would enjoy having in an MP session although ironically we both would rather be enjoying a SP narrative experience. laugh

I tolerated more than enjoyed the MP in most games, but only because of TA boosting sessions to hammer out those pesky MP achievements. My favourite tacked on MP was Mass Effect 3, very well constructed with achievements on the not-too grindy side.
'Life begins beyond the edge of your comfort zone'
Sir Ganondorf
Sir Ganondorf
Posted on 11 April 16 at 06:25
Well this sums up my opinion on the matter:
"I Drink Alone"
george thorogood
cheeky 315
235,800 235,800 GamerScore
cheeky 315
Posted on 11 April 16 at 06:26
I'm not a fan of multiplayer in general and refuse to buy any game without a proper single player campaign. This stopped me buying rainbow 6 siege, titenfall, battlefront and the division, I was never interested in destiny from the outset but all the others I would have bought day 1 if they had proper campaigns.

Now I'm put off of doom because the campaign is an afterthought, I stopped buying cod after ghosts and disliked all of them from mw2.

If a game has multiplayer but no achievements I don't even try it, if it has achievements I'll give it a quick try then most likely boost it

I can count the multiplayer I have liked on one hand

Bad company 1 and 2
Call of duty 4
Quantum of solace
Left 4 dead (but only as infected)

Give me an immersive single player campaign over pvp multiplayer any day
JMJimmy
JMJimmy
Posted on 11 April 16 at 07:08
cheeky 315 said:I can count the multiplayer I have liked on one hand

Bad company 1 and 2
Call of duty 4
Quantum of solace
Left 4 dead (but only as infected)

Give me an immersive single player campaign over pvp multiplayer any day
While I don't disagree with you in the slightest - I would give Titanfall a try. I put it right up there with BC2 for fun & strategic/tactical thinking required.
Life, it's funny that way.
Haarberger
Haarberger
Posted on 11 April 16 at 08:08, Edited on 11 April 16 at 08:09 by Haarberger
With microtransactions you will probably lose your progress when the game is out of order.
With multiplayer-only titles you won't have any use for something you bought retail due to servers shutting down.

With singleplayer you can play with your game forever, it's yours and only.
Local co-op is the same, meanwhile you're getting the best of both worlds.

This is why MP-only won't work out well.
If I recall correctly singleplayer-only games made games popular to start with, MP-only is just a business model and nothing else.

Bring back the fun.
Sashamorning
Sashamorning
Posted on 11 April 16 at 10:32
War Numen said:I made far too many mistakes in buying multiplayer only titles recently.

I bought Evolve, R6: Seige & Battlefront. I'm not saying that i didn't get some enjoyment out of these games but after the recent interviews with developers using excuses like 'The campaign takes 75% of our budget!', i have decided that i no longer have room for multiplayer only titles in my budget.

I'm just done with it, I don't see these multiplayer games being 75% better because they only work on multiplayer. It's absolute horse shit and we shouldn't be letting developers think that cutting arguably the most important part of a title out completely, is in any way Okay.

Enough with the micro-transactions too, it's just so dirty. Nothing > Real DLC > Spontaneous Combustion > Micro-transactions. Multiplayer only titles just need to skip the bullshit, they should be released free, disease riddled with micro-transactions just like what the developers are actually aiming for. You know all they really want is that Candycrush money.
clap clap
Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth. Always carry [popcorn].
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.