Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Table For One: Playing Alone in the Era of Multiplayer

AuthorMessage
N0T PENNYS B0AT
Posted on 14 April 16 at 01:28
HUstlinonradio said:FUCK NO [etc.]My op-ed was about how I prefer single-player to multiplayer and hope those options never go away, not that I'm demanding all games have a single-player. Maybe you aren't responding to me directly but a comment, however. In which case, my mistake.
HUstlinonradio
Posted on 14 April 16 at 04:50
N0T PENNYS B0AT said:HUstlinonradio said:FUCK NO [etc.]My op-ed was about how I prefer single-player to multiplayer and hope those options never go away, not that I'm demanding all games have a single-player. Maybe you aren't responding to me directly but a comment, however. In which case, my mistake.No not to you, its just more the comments overall. You always see it in the comments with opinion articles that talk about someone's preference of singple player over multiplayer. It becomes almost like a circle jerk of persons complaining about multiplayer and that was especially the case with the last opion article about the case. That is where the emotional and the cursing point comes in, it was never directly at you.
I'm Awkward With Potential: Boss Major
Twinkling82
Twinkling82
Posted on 14 April 16 at 19:20
HUstlinonradio said:N0T PENNYS B0AT said:HUstlinonradio said:FUCK NO [etc.]My op-ed was about how I prefer single-player to multiplayer and hope those options never go away, not that I'm demanding all games have a single-player. Maybe you aren't responding to me directly but a comment, however. In which case, my mistake.No not to you, its just more the comments overall. You always see it in the comments with opinion articles that talk about someone's preference of singple player over multiplayer. It becomes almost like a circle jerk of persons complaining about multiplayer and that was especially the case with the last opion article about the case. That is where the emotional and the cursing point comes in, it was never directly at you.Like pro-mp gamers are in ANY case better. Want me to go through this very thread and quote them?
gamingirl on hiatus, new project underway - can't wait to try and raise the numbers again!
Grimace221
Grimace221
Posted on 15 April 16 at 09:53
The biggest problem I have with multiplayer, is the fact that most devs seem to cut corners on the single player campaign to beef up mp.
JMJimmy
JMJimmy
Posted on 15 April 16 at 12:38
Grimace221 said:The biggest problem I have with multiplayer, is the fact that most devs seem to cut corners on the single player campaign to beef up mp.This is something I don't understand from a business perspective. They beef up development of MP, spend money on dedicated servers, customer support, patches, etc to try to find ways to "keep people playing their game". However, from a business/resource perspective it makes a lot more sense to put out an SP only game that will blow people away. People still want to play Bioshock, Skyrim, etc (as is evidenced by their backwards compatibility request numbers) and their success drives sales of future products without the constant resource drain that MP brings.

MP also has the drawback that if it never really takes off you've basically got an unplayable game mode or in MP only titles, an unplayable game. SP there will always be value for those who buy it.
Life, it's funny that way.
Twinkling82
Twinkling82
Posted on 15 April 16 at 16:46
MP is popular by the investors because they can see microtransactions happen. You can thank the F2P games for that.
gamingirl on hiatus, new project underway - can't wait to try and raise the numbers again!
The Globalizer
Posted on 15 April 16 at 21:25
Yeah, I saw earlier today that Rockstar made $500mil off of GTA Online. There's a profit angle there, for sure. I'd just prefer to stick to my SP games, dabble in some online stuff that hits my sweet spot, and give competitive MP the finger forever. As it is, I'm mostly locked out of FPS games because many have a MP component I don't care to put up with, especially when hundreds of dollars of DLC are added on top.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.