Game Discussion: Dark Souls (PC) Forum

Can you earn achievements for this game if you buy it on Steam?

AuthorMessage
Head Shot 7130
Posted on 03 May 16 at 03:45
I just want one more final answer. I'd love to buy it on Steam to add another game to the collection and so I can earn steam achievements along side my Xbox achievements. I've seen a lot of threads about GFWL being removed from the steam version making it so you can't earn achievements unless you buy a physical version but then I think I've seen some people mention that there is a way to earn achievements on the steam version so at this point I'm really just confused. So with that being said I just want a simple answer. If I buy it on Steam is there a way that I can earn Xbox achievements or should I just buy a physical copy?
JumboWario
JumboWario
Posted on 03 May 16 at 03:53
Just buying the game now, no. I bought the game a couple months ago and found out it does not have achievements. I'm no PC gaming expert, so there might be a way to revert to an old version or something to get it to work.

Just out of the box, no.
Game On.
alklein92201
alklein92201
Posted on 03 May 16 at 04:06
To get it from the Steam version, you have to have already had it installed when they removed GFWL and had it set not to auto update.
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 03 May 16 at 12:25, Edited on 03 May 16 at 12:25 by Awoo
You need to have an unupdated game from before the switch to Steamworks, or a physical GFWL copy.
What can change the nature of a man?
Pra1s3Th3Sun
Pra1s3Th3Sun
Posted on 03 May 16 at 17:36
Honestly even with a disc it's dodgy. I have the disc from way back when on an old profile. I decided I wanted to complete it again on this account, but after messing around for ages just to get the game running, it wouldn't let me sign into live. Not that it failed, just the option to sign in to a gamertag literally never appeared no matter what I did, and without that all I got was the message "you are not signed in. Progress will not be saved, continue?"

I messed around with computer settings and trying to somehow reinstall GFWL for about 3 hours before just giving up. This sort of nonsense and faff is the entire reason I avoid PC gaming in the first place.
Neumans
Neumans
Posted on 04 May 16 at 11:05
Physical version is the way to go (the key is also accepted in steam for steamworks version when you are done). Just make sure you install the latest version of GFWL client from microsoft, as the one on the disc is not compatible with Windows 8 or above. Once installed the new client install the game and it will load and log into live (which will ask for your cd key to associate with your account).

With the physical it is best of both worlds
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 04 May 16 at 16:08
Neumans said:Physical version is the way to go (the key is also accepted in steam for steamworks version when you are done). Just make sure you install the latest version of GFWL client from microsoft, as the one on the disc is not compatible with Windows 8 or above. Once installed the new client install the game and it will load and log into live (which will ask for your cd key to associate with your account).

With the physical it is best of both worlds
Not quite. You're right about everything except the last part. For quite a while, it's been impossible to earn achievements online in this game, because of a patch that makes the game crash on startup. The only way to play it is to decline the patch, thus disabling online play and putting offline timestamps for your achievements.
AciD237
AciD237
Posted on 10 May 16 at 11:48, Edited on 10 May 16 at 11:51 by AciD237
Hi,

Does it mean that it can only be played with Windows 8 then?
I bought a sealed disc version, but was planning to play on my Windows 10 computer.

RazorPriest said:The only way to play it is to decline the patch, thus disabling online play and putting offline timestamps for your achievements.I don't understand. how to put offline timestamps?
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 10 May 16 at 12:25
AciD237 said:Hi,

Does it mean that it can only be played with Windows 8 then?
I bought a sealed disc version, but was planning to play on my Windows 10 computer.

RazorPriest said:The only way to play it is to decline the patch, thus disabling online play and putting offline timestamps for your achievements.I don't understand. how to put offline timestamps?
You just say no to the patch when it pops up, then you can play offline and unlock achievements. You then have to boot up a different GFWL game (any that can connect properly) which will sync your Dark Souls achievements to your profile.
AciD237
AciD237
Posted on 18 May 16 at 10:25
Ok thank you.

I can't find my Fallout 3 anymore (grrr) but yesterday I installed Star Wars Republic Heroes and it still works. I can be connected to Live through it.
So it should be good :)
Er PaBlEtOr
Er PaBlEtOr
Posted on 18 May 16 at 20:14
I'm looking everywhere to buy the retail version, but I can't find it :(
Roman Navel
Roman Navel
Posted on 18 May 16 at 20:25
Same. I noticed on eBay a dude had a Polish copy for sale. Not sure if it'll work the same. Though after shipping it was less than $30. So I might take the risk to try it out. Just 1000d 3, and I already did 1 and 2 (360 & One), so it would be nice to have this as well.
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 18 May 16 at 20:28
Yeah, ebay is your best bet. Just make sure it's the right version. As long as the case has the GFWL logo at the top, you should be good. You can always ask the seller if you're unsure.
AciD237
AciD237
Posted on 23 May 16 at 07:58
I got incredibly lucky with my copy. Found it here on TA.
I saw a blog post of a guy doing a liquidation sale of his massive backlog. Asked him about Dark Souls PC and turns out he still had a sealed version. He sold it to me for 15 dollars.

When I was researching before, I also noticed the Polish copy. But I don't think it is with the GfWL logo on the cover.
Er PaBlEtOr
Er PaBlEtOr
Posted on 05 June 16 at 20:25, Edited on 05 June 16 at 20:29 by Er PaBlEtOr
Found second handed versions at amazon.co.uk for £20 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B007X1458W/ref=dp_... I'll try to buy it when I have time.
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 05 June 16 at 23:44
I saw that back when too, but I didn't wanna risk the CD keys already being used, which would most likely be the case with a used copy.
Er PaBlEtOr
Er PaBlEtOr
Posted on 07 June 16 at 22:40
I have a couple of CD keys from Halo 2, Fallout 3 and GTAIV, and you can re-use them for another games, I can confirm it. But I think each code can only be used 3 times.
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 08 June 16 at 04:24
Nope, not for this game. There is a list out there of games that trick works for, it's only for games released before a certain year iirc.
Er PaBlEtOr
Er PaBlEtOr
Posted on 15 June 16 at 11:02
And you know if it can be used 3 times like the others?
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 15 June 16 at 19:10
That I can't say for sure, but I would assume no.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.