Game Discussion: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night Forum

Genre Voting: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

AuthorMessage
Skeptical Mario
Posted on 05 May 16 at 16:45, Edited on 05 May 16 at 16:54 by Skeptical Mario
It's time to vote on genres for Castlevania: Symphony of the Night: https://www.trueachievements.com/genrevote.aspx?gameid=1239

I voted Action + Adventure + Platformer + Dungeon Crawler.

There's no explicit Metroidvania genre in the list for voting - what combination of genres do you think fits the game best?
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 05 May 16 at 16:58
I'm not sure Dungeon Crawler is really applicable, but I agree on the rest.
What can change the nature of a man?
Our Afflictions
Posted on 05 May 16 at 17:17
I voted Action-Adventure-Platformer
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 05 May 16 at 18:24
Nothing fits for Metroidvania. It needs its own genre or don't tag for it at all imo.
Skeptical Mario
Posted on 05 May 16 at 19:08
Take a look at the definition:
Dungeon Crawlers focus on the chase for better and better loot gained from exploring the environment and defeating enemies. Levelling your character and gaining skills increasesYou explore, you defeat enemies, you get better loot, you get new abilities. Just because you aren't running through the same dungeon over and over on the same character doesn't mean it can't be a dungeon crawler.

What other genre would you add? Even if it doesn't exist on the site, there must be a way to describe the unique properties of Metroidvanias without using a tautology.
Come on guys, this is just my opinion.
Our Afflictions
Posted on 05 May 16 at 19:12
The loot doesn't play a huge role though. You gain loot and abilities in almost every RPG, but those aren't dungeon crawlers either.
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 05 May 16 at 21:43
Skeptical Mario said:It's time to vote on genres for Castlevania: Symphony of the Night: https://www.trueachievements.com/genrevote.aspx?gameid=1239

I voted Action + Adventure + Platformer + Dungeon Crawler.

There's no explicit Metroidvania genre in the list for voting - what combination of genres do you think fits the game best?
I would exclude Dungeon Crawler.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.