Gaming News

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Another Set of Titles Become Backwards Compatible

• AllgorhythmAllgorhythm469,610
    Posted on 05 May 16 at 21:36
    Awesome!! I'm loading up Phantasy Star II--IMHO, one of the greatest games of all time if not the greatest.
  • Posted on 05 May 16 at 22:00, Edited on 05 May 16 at 22:02 by Fanta Morgana
    This post is contains unbalanced formatting tags and cannot be rendered at this time.
  • misfit119misfit1191,006,783
    Posted on 05 May 16 at 23:38
    Fanta Morgana said: WestsideSxE said:The Sonic Genesis/MD disc does not have any of the XBLA versions, so it's not going to work - it's a standalone title with its own 1kThats what you would think but I just tried it and it now Sonic 1-3 and golden axe are installing. (I only own Sonic 1&2 on XBLA)The only Sonic game I own digitally is Sonic CD. I put the disc in, accepted the update and now Sonic 1, 2 and 3 are installing. Didn't get Sonic & Knuckles oddly enough but that's three free games so I'm not going to complain. Awesome.
    Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
  • MugenKairoMugenKairo259,331
    Posted on 06 May 16 at 02:46
    Great news, Runner 2 was an excellent game!!
    'Life begins beyond the edge of your comfort zone'
  • Paul LaserbeamPaul Laserbeam1,870,166
    Posted on 06 May 16 at 09:58
    Cubivore said:ComboChrist said:Yeah, more BS no one asked for. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEPhantasy Star 2, Dig Dug and Sonic & Knuckles are all awesome. Get fucked.^
  • Zorlac0666Zorlac0666184,173
    Posted on 06 May 16 at 14:44, Edited on 06 May 16 at 14:46 by Zorlac0666
    ComboChrist said:Yeah, more BS no one asked for. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEYEAH MORE BC GAMES!!

Commence the bitching

1) when are they releasing more BC games, fuuugggg I can't wait any longer...
    2) where the hell is "MY" game ..... I've been waiting to play it on the One
    3) these current games are garbage, Xbox One BC is junk, I'll head over to PS4
    4) MEH, I could careless (yet here I am posting my two cents)

Also as a note, I can't buy Phantasy Star 2 on the Xbox site. it tells me it's bundle only, and when I click it, it just goes to the bottom of the page.
  • Posted on 06 May 16 at 16:30
    I wish we could have the phantasy star episode 1 and 2 that ws available for gamecube... I miss my old level 200 recast, fonewearl and humar. I was given a stolen copy of the game months before its actual console release for gamecube and ended up selling a lot of weapons and mags that I had found to other people for a total of approximately $20,000 at like 12 or 13 years old. Probably the game with the greatest nostalgia to me personally. Good times....
  • WestsideSxEWestsideSxE489,745
    Posted on 06 May 16 at 17:54
    Gleaming Cube said:JamP0und32 said:WestsideSxE said:Saint Harri said:Can any of you guys pop in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection into their Xbox One to see if Phantasy Star II and/or Sonic & Knuckles start to download? I was told the disc allowed you to download the XBLA versions of a few of the games.The Sonic Genesis/MD disc does not have any of the XBLA versions, so it's not going to work - it's a standalone titleThis is true but I have heard the same thing, it's an apparent way to get the delisted Golden axe. Might be worth a try.Ok I just tried it. Popped the Genesis collection disc in and it fired straight into Sonic The Hedgehog strangely. It then said there was an update for this game (around 500mb). I started the download, quit out of Sonic and went into queue and low and behold, standalone Golden Axe is downloading!

So I can confirm that is true. :)
    Wow someone must have majorly screwed up over at Microsoft, it'd be all of the 16 bit console games including Comix Zone, Altered Beast & Gunstar if Sega wrote off on it, all or nothing or they'd get endless complaints - I'd say grab them whilst you can folks, but if/when they deactivate the disc trigger they'll be unplayable :,(
  • QuickMythrilQuickMythril772,706
    Posted on 06 May 16 at 18:38
    odd they added Dig Dug when they just released the new Dig Dug. maybe they thought people would complain about already owning once and not wanting to buy it again.
  • Larvi1Larvi11,664,108
    Posted on 06 May 16 at 23:45
    I can confirm you get some BC games from the Sega Ultimate Genesis collection. I got Golden Axe, Sonic 2 and a 3rd game that I don't know what it is added to my queue.
    Posted on 07 May 16 at 01:33
    anyone try the namco collection?
  • Posted on 07 May 16 at 08:24
    ComboChrist said:Yeah, more BS no one asked for. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEShhhhh. I've been waiting for sonic and knuckles and I'm very happy about runner2. I just noticed other BC games I wasn't even aware of like fable 3.
    Posted on 07 May 16 at 09:24, Edited on 07 May 16 at 09:25 by QuickMythril
    why is more bad? sheesh it's a 360 emulator, it should just be it's own app on the xbox one and run anything the 360 can. we should be able to run the entire 360 dashboard within the xbox one.
  • UnsungGhostUnsungGhost635,094
    Posted on 07 May 16 at 13:50
    Until I see the Dishwasher games I know they're nowhere near done. The developer wanted that game released immediately and offered to do all the work.
  • KinectKid333KinectKid333708,238
    Posted on 07 May 16 at 15:39
    QuickMythril said:why is more bad? sheesh it's a 360 emulator, it should just be it's own app on the xbox one and run anything the 360 can. we should be able to run the entire 360 dashboard within the xbox one.In reality, Microsoft could probably make this happen, but why would they? People would just sell their 360s.
    "I fear the day when mankind starts making up quotes about things I never said and posting them on the internet." --Albert Einstein
  • TheMaizeTheMaize1,264,471
    Posted on 07 May 16 at 17:23
    KinectKid333 said:QuickMythril said:why is more bad? sheesh it's a 360 emulator, it should just be it's own app on the xbox one and run anything the 360 can. we should be able to run the entire 360 dashboard within the xbox one.In reality, Microsoft could probably make this happen, but why would they? People would just sell their 360s.You make that sound like a bad thing for microsoft...but they dont produce 360s anymore, and dont really release games for it either. Why would they care if people sell their 360s secondhand?
  • Posted on 07 May 16 at 17:39
    ljwaves said:Gleaming Cube said:JamP0und32 said:WestsideSxE said:Saint Harri said:Can any of you guys pop in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection into their Xbox One to see if Phantasy Star II and/or Sonic & Knuckles start to download? I was told the disc allowed you to download the XBLA versions of a few of the games.The Sonic Genesis/MD disc does not have any of the XBLA versions, so it's not going to work - it's a standalone titleThis is true but I have heard the same thing, it's an apparent way to get the delisted Golden axe. Might be worth a try.Ok I just tried it. Popped the Genesis collection disc in and it fired straight into Sonic The Hedgehog strangely. It then said there was an update for this game (around 500mb). I started the download, quit out of Sonic and went into queue and low and behold, standalone Golden Axe is downloading!

So I can confirm that is true. :)
    I also popped in my disc. It is installing the sonic games and Golden Axe. I had already downloaded Phatasy Star from the store as I owned it stand alone.

That is cool, I do not know you could do that.
    I didnt know that either although I cannot find the Megadrive/Genesis Collection I thought I'd try that with the Dreamcast Collection and Crazy Taxi is currently getting installed on the Xbox One :D
  • Fire Hawk DFire Hawk D1,652,650
    Posted on 07 May 16 at 17:42
    QuickMythril said:why is more bad? sheesh it's a 360 emulator, it should just be it's own app on the xbox one and run anything the 360 can. we should be able to run the entire 360 dashboard within the xbox one.I'm so tired of seeing posts like this. Could you people do some freaking research? There's a LOT of technical and legal things going on behind the scenes. Game A licensed it's soundtrack to be used on Xbox 360 and PS3, so they can't just port that one over. Game B, same for the cinematic technology used for their game, and Game C's engine was licensed.

You can't just decide to bring an entire backlog of games over to a new console unless these development contracts were made future-proof. Which, usually isn't the case.
    Posted on 07 May 16 at 18:45, Edited on 07 May 16 at 18:50 by QuickMythril
    i know there's the licensing to take into account. i just don't see why you need an extra 500 MB for every 360 game. i didn't say every game should be ported, but just meant that they should all work with one single emulator.

i do think that if you own a disc and a console that will play it, then that's yours to do what you want. if you can make a non BC original xbox one game work on a 360, cool. if someone figured out the 360 "emulator" and hacked it to run on windows 10, that'd be nifty. though i'm sure there's some "walls" they'd have to get past first. anyway just random thoughts, i wouldn't really use that, i'd rather have legit online achievements, than risk a ban.
  • Posted on 07 May 16 at 21:42
    QuickMythril said:i know there's the licensing to take into account. i just don't see why you need an extra 500 MB for every 360 game. i didn't say every game should be ported, but just meant that they should all work with one single emulator.

i do think that if you own a disc and a console that will play it, then that's yours to do what you want. if you can make a non BC original xbox one game work on a 360, cool. if someone figured out the 360 "emulator" and hacked it to run on windows 10, that'd be nifty. though i'm sure there's some "walls" they'd have to get past first. anyway just random thoughts, i wouldn't really use that, i'd rather have legit online achievements, than risk a ban.
    I'm with QuickMythril on this..

Anyway... SUPER excited about Runner2... this was a GREAT game!! And, I usually don't like rhythm games. And, I think I'm definitely going to buy Phantasy Star II now.. haven't played it since the Sega days and it's only 5 bucks.. keep the BC titles coming!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.