Call of Duty: Consumer Warfare

AuthorMessage
Lord Nazule
Lord Nazule
Posted on 08 May 16 at 20:56
Great read. This is why I support TA.
Adam Corela
Posted on 08 May 16 at 21:09
“You must own Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare in order to get Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered.”

This is the line that concerns me. I bet you HAVE to have IW to play COD4. I'm going to call it now and say that the only way to play COD4 is through the main menu of IW, similar to the other game modes.
G O I7ofL 1 V E
Posted on 08 May 16 at 21:50
matdan12 said:G O I7ofL 1 V E said:I'm not mad at Activision for doing this. They actually made similar moves back in 2011 when the packaged Call of Duty Classic with MW3.Mentioned it earlier but will mention it again. Classic was sold separately and at a reasonable price. Also was a lazy re-release.There was a hardened edition that included both MW3 and CoD Classic back when the game was first released.
G O DofL 1 V E
RDS
RDS
Posted on 08 May 16 at 22:00
HUstlinonradio said:GoinXwell said:Well, Activision spent $5,9 billion to buy Candy Crush (seriously?) last year and they're properly desperate to get their spent money back with a shitgame forced down gamer's throats with a half-assed remaster.Candy Crush? You mean one of the games from that company which amounted to 25% of their entire revenue this quarter? They must be truly desperate then

Wonder what is half-assed about this remaster or is it just your blind hatred showing?
No kidding - and with some of the original content missing, I consider it a half-assed remaster. And yes, it might be my hatred (didn't help I played any of these games on a PS3 without any clue what to do)
Activision, you FUCKING dicks!
ixGrumpyBeaRxi
Posted on 08 May 16 at 23:11
I have said every time after MW3 that I would never buy another CoD game again and eveytime I get suckered into buying each new installation due to friends promising to play and end up wasting my money. As much as I would love a remastered version of MW, I absolutely refuse to buy into this BS futuristic crap that CoD has turned into. Even if IW was given to me free I would refuse to play it, especially if it was required to be able to play MW.
F#ck Corporate America!
Drewbayeor
Drewbayeor
Posted on 08 May 16 at 23:49
To add some fuel to the fire, has anyone thought that Activision and Infinity Ward may have CoD4 only accessible via the infinite warfare home screen? That way you cannot sell your copy of the game without losing access to CoD4.
LuckyKant
LuckyKant
Posted on 08 May 16 at 23:57
Drewbayeor said:To add some fuel to the fire, has anyone thought that Activision and Infinity Ward may have CoD4 only accessible via the infinite warfare home screen? That way you cannot sell your copy of the game without losing access to CoD4.This has been mentioned multiple times. wink
matdan
matdan
Posted on 09 May 16 at 00:39
G O I7ofL 1 V E said:matdan12 said:G O I7ofL 1 V E said:I'm not mad at Activision for doing this. They actually made similar moves back in 2011 when the packaged Call of Duty Classic with MW3.Mentioned it earlier but will mention it again. Classic was sold separately and at a reasonable price. Also was a lazy re-release.There was a hardened edition that included both MW3 and CoD Classic back when the game was first released.Yes but they also sold it separately at release unlike CoD4 RM which they are not doing.
Rusty187
Rusty187
Posted on 09 May 16 at 02:50
All I'm going to say on this subject is this, if you are buying Infinite Warfare for the remaster and nothing else, you are part of the problem...
You can't fix stupid.
MetalGearMark
MetalGearMark
Posted on 09 May 16 at 04:37
It's sad, but I guess I'm going to miss out CoD:4.

There are many who will "buy the CoD:IW and just sell it on", but Activision don't care since they'll have your money and a confirmed sale whether you keep the game or not.

Activision are testing the water here and God only knows what the future holds if they get a big enough bite.

If they don't get the sales they're projecting then it's only logical that CoD:4 would eventually see a general release on it's own. Either way - If there was ever a time where voting with your wallet mattered, it'll be now.
Sashamorning
Sashamorning
Posted on 09 May 16 at 08:08, Edited on 09 May 16 at 08:08 by Sashamorning
Let's look at the numbers (courtesy vgchartz.com, Xbox & PS combined):

CoD 4: 16 million
WaW: 12.75 million
MW2: 24.65
BlOps: 27.25
MW3: 28.15
BlOps 2: 27.70
Ghosts: 26.54
AW: 21.31
BlOps 3: 23.20

Now we can debate the veracity of these numbers, but let's assume they're true. 20 million games by ANY measure is huge. (10 million by ANY measure is huge, but the metric here is huge.) Ghosts dropped a bit, but Advanced Warfare dropped a LOT. Black Ops 3 bumped the number up again, but not up to even Ghosts' numbers (including the crappy last-gen MP-only versions).

So Activision wants to sweeten the pot by tossing in CoD4, which they've already made and so just basically have to make pretty. They want to try to get back up to MW numbers, especially since this isn't BlOps and AW did so "terribly."

I only have the last two installments because I got them for free. I have no intention of getting IW unless it's the same deal, but it's clear that they're concerned about another AW falloff.
Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth. Always carry [popcorn].
HUstlinonradio
Posted on 09 May 16 at 09:29
Sashamorning said:Let's look at the numbers (courtesy vgchartz.com, Xbox & PS combined):

CoD 4: 16 million
WaW: 12.75 million
MW2: 24.65
BlOps: 27.25
MW3: 28.15
BlOps 2: 27.70
Ghosts: 26.54
AW: 21.31
BlOps 3: 23.20

Now we can debate the veracity of these numbers, but let's assume they're true. 20 million games by ANY measure is huge. (10 million by ANY measure is huge, but the metric here is huge.) Ghosts dropped a bit, but Advanced Warfare dropped a LOT. Black Ops 3 bumped the number up again, but not up to even Ghosts' numbers (including the crappy last-gen MP-only versions).

So Activision wants to sweeten the pot by tossing in CoD4, which they've already made and so just basically have to make pretty. They want to try to get back up to MW numbers, especially since this isn't BlOps and AW did so "terribly."

I only have the last two installments because I got them for free. I have no intention of getting IW unless it's the same deal, but it's clear that they're concerned about another AW falloff.
But would not being up to Ghost numbers make sense since you are looking at lifetime sales and Black Ops 3 is only at that number at the half way point in it's yearly cycle? So it most likely will reach Ghost numbers and even surpass it because we are forgetting that the main bundle of the Playstation 4 is the Black Ops 3 bundle which accounted for 85% of all PS4 console sales in the US for the first fiscal quarter of the year. And when you have a console that is selling so well like the PS4 then that is going to heavily impact sales in a positive light. They are going to get back to those numbers with BO3

Activision has known that sales of the game series would possibly decline for years. Even before the launch of Advanced Warfare they were saying that they expect sales of the franchise to decline. Black Ops 3 however not only has done exceptionally well similar to the peak years so far but include what Activision had as a plan just in case: Microtransactions. They explained just a few days ago that the amount of persons who bought in game content has doubled and when you are talking about millions of persons, then that is just more millions which can supplant the numbers that may be potentially lost from anyone who dropped off.

Here is the reason I believe that Modern Warfare Remastered was made: Call of Duty: Ghosts

Not because of the franchise as a whole but because of that one, specific game. They know that Ghosts has a very bad reception, people do not trust this version of Infinity Ward after that and they are making sure that this game will get boosted so that the negative reaction and tepidness from it being from this studio leading up to the game's release will be mitigated. This reception to Ghosts affected Advanced Warfare big time and that was even before doubts because of a new studio at helm and you could have already see it when persons talked before the reveal when they realized that it was Infinity Ward's game that was up in the cycle. Ghosts permanently damaged Infinity Ward's reputation and sales of the game were going to reflect that.

Which is why the decision to do this in the specific way that they have is so smart on their end in terms of financials. The backlash that they are getting is expected because they are always going to get backlash just on the fact that it is a Call of Duty game.
I'm Awkward With Potential: Boss Major
RicKuRuKuS
RicKuRuKuS
Posted on 09 May 16 at 11:22
Only one thing to do... don't buy! It's just a remaster that will get old and lobbies emptied before you know it. People have already played this for years.
aim employee 34
Posted on 09 May 16 at 13:21
Rusty187 said:All I'm going to say on this subject is this, if you are buying Infinite Warfare for the remaster and nothing else, you are part of the problem...This
Sashamorning
Sashamorning
Posted on 09 May 16 at 15:19, Edited on 09 May 16 at 15:20 by Sashamorning
I'm expecting BlOps 3 to catch up. That's the most popular of the cycle.

I expect CoD4 to be released alone at some point. I'll wait.
Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth. Always carry [popcorn].
HUstlinonradio
Posted on 09 May 16 at 16:43
Sashamorning said:I'm expecting BlOps 3 to catch up. That's the most popular of the cycle.

I expect CoD4 to be released alone at some point. I'll wait.
Excatly! It just seems so obvious that it is going to happen in the future. I put it around March-April next year before the reveal of Sledgehammer's CoD
I'm Awkward With Potential: Boss Major
SpecOp3
SpecOp3
Posted on 09 May 16 at 17:46
So I watched the Battlefield reveal trailer....

Yea, I'm skipping my 5th Call of Duty in a row. Can't wait for Battlefield!
johannasceasara
Posted on 09 May 16 at 22:44
I havent gotten through all 8 pages of comments, but I just wanted to remind everyone something.

This is basic Capitalism 101. This is the bread and butter of the current global economy. The Companies will try and push for as much money as the market will allow. Activision has a whole financial team that told them, "Yes, you can get away with this, and make a neat profit". That team is highly skilled and educated to comb through all YOUR financial data, trends, and habits of spending.

Guess what? YOU are the market.

So honestly, we can only blame ourselves for this. You may not like the practice, but it certainly is not "shady". The world is full of this, in plain sight. From the medicine you pay for to get rid of your stomach pain, to the burger at the fast food shop that gave it to you in the first place. At the end if the day, you'll still cave and buy the bundle, then sell it to the overlords at Gamestop to "get back" some money. And Activision will get the seal of approval they want, and continue to do this with all their IPs. And you can bet others will follow suit.

But the article is right about one thing. We do have a choice. Remember, YOU are the market. So be a GOOD market, and don't buy it. Don't support these practices. If enough people follow this, not give in to their desires, then maybe it will change. Hopefully, for the better.

I loved COD 4. But that time and 17 year old I was is gone now. And so is my love for the series.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 10 May 16 at 02:40, Edited on 10 May 16 at 02:41 by Shinnizle
http://cdn2.cad-comic.com/comics/cad-20160509-290a1.png

Always loved Tim Buckley's humor laugh
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
EaseAndInspire
Posted on 10 May 16 at 13:31
Lol at people in this thread... I buy the top tier collectors edition every year for cod, cause guess what? They sell it as entertainment and the games always entertain me, this year I get an extra cod (arguably the best cod) remastered for 20 bucks... What a great deal, thanks Activision I will continue to support you
Aye, we left you. You're fat, and slow, and we didn't want to die.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.

Account Settings

In order for TrueAchievements to track your games and achievements correctly, it is required that we have access to your achievements. If your achievements are not being scanned in, it is likely that your privacy settings are not allowing this. To correct this, please follow these instructions:

1. Log into https://www.xbox.com/

2. Click on My Account in the top toolbar.
My Account location.

3. Scroll down to Safety and select Manage my privacy and online safety.
Privacy and online safety location.

4. Scroll down to 'Others can'. You need to make sure that 'Everybody' can see your game and app history
Game and app history location.

These steps will allow TrueAchievements to update all of your achievements across all Xbox platforms.