Game Discussion: Peter Jackson's King Kong

King Kong Multi-Genre Discussion

  • Posted on 10 May 16 at 13:02
    Please use this thread to discuss this games classification under the new multi-genre system.

    Click here to cast your votes.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm393,050
    Posted on 10 May 16 at 16:35
    Action-Adventure. If there were a movie subgenre, I would include that.
  • Posted on 10 May 16 at 17:25
    What does being a movie spin off have to do with anything?
    RIP Trueachievement App http://www.trueachievements.com/forum/viewthread.aspx?tid=491015
  • Removed Gamer

    Removed Gamer

    Posted on 10 May 16 at 20:55
    I had Action-Adventure and FPS, since there was a lot of shooting from what I remember.
    Walkthrough Manager and Platformer LEGEND
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm393,050
    Posted on 10 May 16 at 21:30
    MakeMeACoffee said:What does being a movie spin off have to do with anything?Quite a lot of games are movie spin-offs--I think is should be a subgenre.
  • Posted on 10 May 16 at 22:04
    facepalm But how does that effect the gameplay?
    RIP Trueachievement App http://www.trueachievements.com/forum/viewthread.aspx?tid=491015
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm393,050
    Posted on 10 May 16 at 22:08
    MakeMeACoffee said:facepalm But how does that effect the gameplay?Many people, myself included, like to play games of movies we've enjoyed. One of the purposes of the genre systems is to create leaderboards. This would be a great category for a leaderboard.
  • AwooAwoo1,616,074
    Posted on 10 May 16 at 22:14
    Allgorhythm said:MakeMeACoffee said:facepalm But how does that effect the gameplay?Many people, myself included, like to play games of movies we've enjoyed. One of the purposes of the genre systems is to create leaderboards. This would be a great category for a leaderboard.Okay, then let's also make one for games based on books (Assassin's Creed). Oh and one for sequels! Prequels? Maybe games that have had movies made based on them! Completely arbitrary, stop being silly.
    What can change the nature of a man?
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm393,050
    Posted on 10 May 16 at 22:20, Edited on 10 May 16 at 22:22 by Allgorhythm
    RazorPriest said:Allgorhythm said:MakeMeACoffee said:facepalm But how does that effect the gameplay?Many people, myself included, like to play games of movies we've enjoyed. One of the purposes of the genre systems is to create leaderboards. This would be a great category for a leaderboard.Okay, then let's also make one for games based on books (Assassin's Creed). Assassin's Creed was not based on a book. There is, however, an Assassin's Creed book series based on the Assassins Creed Series.
  • Removed Gamer

    Removed Gamer

    Posted on 10 May 16 at 22:23
    That's not the point...
    Walkthrough Manager and Platformer LEGEND
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm393,050
    Posted on 10 May 16 at 22:31, Edited on 10 May 16 at 22:32 by Allgorhythm
    SpiralGamerpro said:That's not the point...The point is that the response to my post was not well thought out. There are, of course, countless categories but we would not select them in arbitrary fashion as the response suggested. Nor, was my suggestion silly as the response stated. Steam lists 210 games under the movie subgenre.
  • AwooAwoo1,616,074
    Posted on 10 May 16 at 22:35
    Allgorhythm said:SpiralGamerpro said:That's not the point...The point is that the response to my post was not well thought out. There are, of course, countless categories but we would not select them in arbitrary fashion as the response suggested. Nor, was my suggestion silly as the response stated. Steam lists 210 games under the movie subgenre.I don't think you're the one who should be accusing anyone of not having a thought-out argument. You're suggesting to add a genre that connects games on a completely arbitrary condition, and I pointed out several similarly arbitrary examples of things we could do. We're not looking to "create more leaderboards" with the new system, but to more accurately represent games that were previously misrepresented.
    What can change the nature of a man?
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm393,050
    Posted on 10 May 16 at 22:49
    RazorPriest said:Allgorhythm said:SpiralGamerpro said:That's not the point...The point is that the response to my post was not well thought out. There are, of course, countless categories but we would not select them in arbitrary fashion as the response suggested. Nor, was my suggestion silly as the response stated. Steam lists 210 games under the movie subgenre.I don't think you're the one who should be accusing anyone of not having a thought-out argument. You're suggesting to add a genre that connects games on a completely arbitrary condition, and I pointed out several similarly arbitrary examples of things we could do. We're not looking to "create more leaderboards" with the new system, but to more accurately represent games that were previously misrepresented.From the beginning of the genre discussions (which have been going on for quite some time), I have suggested using an authoritative source. One possible authoritative source is Steam that has categorized thousands of games.

    Furthermore, whereas I agree with you that the purpose of categorizing games is not to create leaderboards, the genre system should be there to support players that do want to create leaderboards. There are quite a few leaderboards with fewer than a dozen members that track criteria that you or I (to use your word) would consider silly. Nevertheless, this is a core competency of TA--it allows gamers to track their progress using criteria of their own choosing. I, myself, would not join a 'games based on movies' leaderboard. However, such a leaderboard would be far less obscure than literally scores of leaderboards that are already established on TA.
  • Posted on 11 May 16 at 05:46
    It makes sense to list things like being based on a movie or a comic book or something, but TA seems to be focused entirely on leaderboards for genres as opposed to tagging the games for content. In TA's system, labeling games for being movie tie-ins is not what it was designed for.
    My opinions are often unpopular and acerbic.
  • planting42planting421,502,762
    Posted on 11 May 16 at 16:39
    I saw this in hot threads. Entertained me for 5.

    I voted Action and Adventure.
    http://www.trueachievements.com/gtasc-2016.htm
  • Posted on 11 May 16 at 21:15
    I thought the point of this thread would be discussing how the game actually has multiple genres within it:
    -First-person shooter (Jack levels)
    -Third-person beat-em-up (King Kong levels)

    I suppose Action-Adventure does work though.
  • Removed Gamer

    Removed Gamer

    Posted on 11 May 16 at 21:24
    That's why I was saying AA + FPS
    Walkthrough Manager and Platformer LEGEND
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm393,050
    Posted on 11 May 16 at 23:19
    angry often said:I thought the point of this thread would be discussing how the game actually has multiple genres within it:
    -First-person shooter (Jack levels)
    -Third-person beat-em-up (King Kong levels)

    I suppose Action-Adventure does work though.
    There are also rail and platformer aspects to it as well.
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm393,050
    Posted on 11 May 16 at 23:20
    Not to mention platformer but I just stuck with Action-Adventure.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.