Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Dark Souls Bosses

• LuckyKantLuckyKant477,875
    Posted on 22 May 16 at 17:11, Edited on 22 May 16 at 17:12 by LuckyKantPermalink
    ^ why should I do additional research? Is it too much to ask for the the story to be in the game?

"This game has such an amazing story, if you go read additional lore that is not on the disc"

Ain't nobody got time for that. Awful practice.

The world is well designed though and so are the bosses.

My opinion is as equal to yours.
  • MomijiMomiji727,654
    Posted on 22 May 16 at 17:22Permalink
    All 5 entries should be bed of chaos
  • Calex dEUSCalex dEUS978,633
    Posted on 22 May 16 at 18:14Permalink
    Yhorm the Giant was one of my favourites , not so much because of the boss or fight as it was a gimmicky fight, but if you played through one of the NPC questlines to it's final conclusion it was a moment not to be missed cry
  • kintariskintaris323,107
    Posted on 22 May 16 at 19:41Permalink
    Whatever killed me around the first corner in Dark Souls, several times. I gave up after that.

That was a boss, right?
  • RhyoliticRhyolitic397,415
    Posted on 22 May 16 at 19:56Permalink
    LuckyConquerer2 said:I could not stand DS when I played it but the bosses were pretty well done, I have to give credit for that. They are pretty unique, and a few impressed me when I first saw them. The Bell Gargoyles was the first WTF momentI'll admit they're purty games and are rather unique. However, I regret ever starting Dark Souls 1. I just can't be arsed to waste time dying over and over and replaying the same fucking battles umpteen billion times. It's simply the anti-thesis of fun for me. I hid DS from My Games list here and plan on never going back. There's plenty of other games to play that I might actually enjoy.
    Posted on 22 May 16 at 20:02Permalink
    Rhyolitic said:LuckyConquerer2 said:I could not stand DS when I played it but the bosses were pretty well done, I have to give credit for that. They are pretty unique, and a few impressed me when I first saw them. The Bell Gargoyles was the first WTF momentI'll admit they're purty games and are rather unique. However, I regret ever starting Dark Souls 1. I just can't be arsed to waste time dying over and over and replaying the same fucking battles umpteen billion times. It's simply the anti-thesis of fun for me. I hid DS from My Games list here and plan on never going back. There's plenty of other games to play that I might actually enjoy.I was the same but people kept nagging me that I only thought it sucked because I kept dying so I completed it and still think the same. I can see why people like it but IMO it is overrated. I don't hate on it and say they should stop making them because people enjoy them and that is good. It just was not the game for me.
  • Posted on 22 May 16 at 20:12Permalink
    I like the list! I would replace Fume Knight with the Ivory King or Velstadt, but agree with most entries. O&S and Sif will always be my favs.
  • Posted on 22 May 16 at 20:48Permalink
    Rhyolitic said:LuckyConquerer2 said:I could not stand DS when I played it but the bosses were pretty well done, I have to give credit for that. They are pretty unique, and a few impressed me when I first saw them. The Bell Gargoyles was the first WTF momentI'll admit they're purty games and are rather unique. However, I regret ever starting Dark Souls 1. I just can't be arsed to waste time dying over and over and replaying the same fucking battles umpteen billion times. It's simply the anti-thesis of fun for me. I hid DS from My Games list here and plan on never going back. There's plenty of other games to play that I might actually enjoy.To me what you just described is Ninja Garden 2, whicg was a horrible game. Dark Souls can easily be managed with some good ol fashioned soul farming.
    Ask me about my rock collection.
  • MugenKairoMugenKairo252,564
    Posted on 22 May 16 at 20:54Permalink
    Not buying any of the DLC I've missed out on a few of these bosses, although Ornsten & Smough hold a particular place in my heart. But the 4 Kings on NG+3 was incredibly tough as there is no help and I could never damage them fast enough.
    'Life begins beyond the edge of your comfort zone'
  • Posted on 22 May 16 at 21:26Permalink
    I feel Ornstein and Smough should be number one and that Cinder should be higher than the Fume Knight.
  • IBerserk IxIIBerserk IxI256,694
    Posted on 23 May 16 at 00:45Permalink
    I agree with the list almost entirely though I feel that Darklurker deserves an honorable mention (if you don't cheese the fight)
  • ArkhamArkham1,528,713
    Posted on 23 May 16 at 00:53Permalink
    First time I saw Sif I was like, "daaaaamn!"
  • AwooAwoo1,537,739
    Posted on 23 May 16 at 00:58Permalink
    LuckyConquerer2 said:^ why should I do additional research? Is it too much to ask for the the story to be in the game?

"This game has such an amazing story, if you go read additional lore that is not on the disc"

Your opinion is uneducated, therefore bad. All the lore is in the games, the only thing people online can do for you is point it out and give you interpretations and explanations. There is a whole community built on that, and there sure as fuck wouldn't be if the story wasn't actually worth it. I'm sorry your dumb ass is too used to be being spoonfed exposition to appreciate subtlety, you're missing out.
    What can change the nature of a man?
    Posted on 23 May 16 at 01:06Permalink
    Awoo said:LuckyConquerer2 said:^ why should I do additional research? Is it too much to ask for the the story to be in the game?

Your opinion is uneducated, therefore bad. All the lore is in the games, the only thing people online can do for you is point it out and give you interpretations and explanations. There is a whole community built on that, and there sure as fuck wouldn't be if the story wasn't actually worth it. I'm sorry your dumb ass is too used to be being spoonfed exposition to appreciate subtlety, you're missing out.
    laugh You should do stand-up. Just hold the game up and say this has a story. laugh
  • Posted on 23 May 16 at 01:23, Edited on 23 May 16 at 01:29 by Living LegendsPermalink
    ArkhmInmate0801 said:First time I saw Sif I was like, "daaaaamn!"My buddy was over when he saw me beat him. He was just in awe in the cutscenes and how epic the battle was. He started dark souls and that was pretty much all he did since the asylum demon killed him countless of times. I made the game look easy just dying a few times before killing Sif. This list is pretty good but must have been hard due to how many bosses this game has that are memorable.

I have put off the series on the Xbox side and need to get to it since reading this wants me to go waste time into it.

LuckyConquerer2 said:Awoo said:LuckyConquerer2 said:^ why should I do additional research? Is it too much to ask for the the story to be in the game?

laugh You should do stand-up. Just hold the game up and say this has a story. laugh
    Actually the story is not all there at all. Call of duty has a story. This has lore in which you have to read thru and put the pieces together. Some people just do not like that. I love dark souls but lucky has his own opinion but states this game is well designed as the bosses are well. He just did not like the simple fact the story was not there as most games have. His opinion is not uneducated it's just what it is, an opinion.

Take CoD Ghosts, the opinion of the reviewers that put a 10/10 for it does not match our opinion of the game. It's not that they are uneducated, just that they experience the game differently and felt that it was awesome. I think the game was atrocious and the only reason it ever got put in my disc drive after completion is Extinction. Now am I uneducated because it does not match what the other major reviewers rated it at?
  • DutRankDutRank152,621
    Posted on 23 May 16 at 04:05Permalink
    I really don't understand the love for the Nameless King. He's such a poorly developed boss fight. The first phase is a fight with the camera more than it is fighting the actual boss. The second phase is just a fight that is hard for the sake of being hard.

Dancer of the Boreal Valley is much more satisfying boss fight with the setting, the music and wide range of unpredictable combos with elegance that the Dancer can pull off.
  • Posted on 23 May 16 at 05:20Permalink
    My favorite was the Looking Glass Knight. I thought the setting was perfect, a knight in shining armor that looks great in a room with busted out walls and its ceiling that's at the top of a badass castle in the middle of a lightning storm.
    The Gutless Wonder "Try not to understand anything I'm saying and it'll all make sense"
  • Posted on 23 May 16 at 08:53Permalink
    Nice list, but I think Capra Demon deserves a mention. Not because it's all that hard, but because it probably the first brick wall people will crash into (for me at least, scared me off the game for a good six months) and is the first epitome of the Souls series, learn from your mistakes :D
    \o/ Praise the sun!
  • Posted on 23 May 16 at 09:07, Edited on 23 May 16 at 09:08 by The Minish WolfPermalink
    LuckyConquerer2 said:Awoo said:LuckyConquerer2 said:^ why should I do additional research? Is it too much to ask for the the story to be in the game?

Okay, lets just clear this up. It DOES have a story, its just hidden and not really important to the game. However, it is there and no one can deny that. Dark Souls doesn't spoon feed its world and story to you, some people won't enjoy that, fair enough. However saying it doesn't have a story, and saying its story is amazing, are both wrong.
  • Pitupatu71Pitupatu71437,499
    Posted on 23 May 16 at 09:16Permalink
    Great list !!!
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.