Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Dark Souls Bosses

• Posted on 23 May 16 at 09:27Permalink
    DeltaAlphaVID said:I would have to say the optional boss Darklurker in DS2 was the hardest boss in the series for me. Everything is peachy until he splits into two and wrecks your dick off.Same for me. Darklurker is the only boss that killed me enough to frustrate me. Shit gets too real when he splits.
    "Slutty outfit? You're one to talk." "This isn't slutty, it's strategically placed."
  • Ereaser NLEreaser NL361,474
    Posted on 23 May 16 at 09:38Permalink
    LuckyConquerer2 said:Awoo said:LuckyConquerer2 said:^ why should I do additional research? Is it too much to ask for the the story to be in the game?

"This game has such an amazing story, if you go read additional lore that is not on the disc"

Ain't nobody got time for that. Awful practice.

The world is well designed though and so are the bosses.

My opinion is as equal to yours.
    Your opinion is uneducated, therefore bad. All the lore is in the games, the only thing people online can do for you is point it out and give you interpretations and explanations. There is a whole community built on that, and there sure as fuck wouldn't be if the story wasn't actually worth it. I'm sorry your dumb ass is too used to be being spoonfed exposition to appreciate subtlety, you're missing out.
    laugh You should do stand-up. Just hold the game up and say this has a story. laugh
    If you pay attention to the dialog and don't mess up side quests too often there is quite a bit of story.

Some of the lore is pretty hidden, for example Quelaag's sister is behind a hidden path and to be able to understand her you have to wear a special ring.
    And some of the side quests can easily get messed up.
  • LuckyKantLuckyKant477,904
    Posted on 23 May 16 at 10:32Permalink
    Did Dark Souls 2 or 3 add a pause 'feature'?
  • Posted on 23 May 16 at 10:53, Edited on 23 May 16 at 10:54 by Marc PilkingtonPermalink
    LuckyConquerer2 said:Did Dark Souls 2 or 3 add a pause 'feature'? Nope. Dark Souls simply can't have a pause feature seeing as you're usually always online. For me, it wouldn't feel like Dark Souls. Being able to pause in the middle of a boss fight just to compose yourself would completely take away everything that Dark Souls is about.

Story wise, the next two games elaborate a lot more on what the first game laid out. The story is a lot more obvious in the third game in my opinion.
    I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favourite website on the Citadel.
  • EmivaderEmivader478,732
    Posted on 23 May 16 at 12:38Permalink
    No love for Pinwheel
  • Chris1984ukChris1984uk932,677
    Posted on 23 May 16 at 13:01Permalink
    LV 1 Blue Slime said:DeltaAlphaVID said:I would have to say the optional boss Darklurker in DS2 was the hardest boss in the series for me. Everything is peachy until he splits into two and wrecks your dick off.Same for me. Darklurker is the only boss that killed me enough to frustrate me. Shit gets too real when he splits.I really don't get the issue with Darklurker, Sure I didnt kill him first try but I never got into double figure deaths.

Was fairly easy boss for me.
  • Ereaser NLEreaser NL361,474
    Posted on 23 May 16 at 15:28Permalink
    Emivader said:No love for PinwheelOr Bed of Chaos...
  • vSullyvSully832,819
    Posted on 23 May 16 at 16:38Permalink
    Ereaser NL said:Emivader said:No love for PinwheelOr Bed of Chaos...Or covetous demon :(
  • IBerserk IxIIBerserk IxI256,678
    Posted on 23 May 16 at 17:08Permalink
    LV 1 Blue Slime said:DeltaAlphaVID said:I would have to say the optional boss Darklurker in DS2 was the hardest boss in the series for me. Everything is peachy until he splits into two and wrecks your dick off.Same for me. Darklurker is the only boss that killed me enough to frustrate me. Shit gets too real when he splits.I think this boss fight was one of the hardest for a number of different reasons. The run to the boss was tough due to the player-like npcs that you had to fight from all 3 run locations

It required an effigy per attempt not including one to be human or not (assuming no use of the shrine of Amana to human)

It split into two and doubled an already awesome fight. The boss just played out like a work of art plain and true. Easily my favorite in Dark souls 2
  • Posted on 23 May 16 at 17:11, Edited on 23 May 16 at 17:15 by a Fi1thy CasualPermalink
    What about the Ceaseless Discharge?! Is the name too reminiscent of the STD vids in health class?

Poor, poor CD...everyone just thinks of infected naughty bits whenever they say your name...cry

AncientTides said:I briefly played the first one, and died. A lot. I really want to play them all but I suck so bad. Guess I'll just have to git gud...and not play as a thiefDon't feel bad - 99% of the people who jump into a Souls game "...suck so bad". Hell, I can not seem to get through Sen's Fortress laugh.

Yes, I am a failure
    Fully loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness.
  • Posted on 23 May 16 at 17:31Permalink
    a Fi1thy Casual said:What about the Ceaseless Discharge?! Is the name too reminiscent of the STD vids in health class?

Poor, poor CD...everyone just thinks of infected naughty bits whenever they say your name...cry
    Ceaseless was a one minute boss fight with no hitting. I messed up once when I joined an Xbox live party and it kicked me to offline mode. Had to fight him and it was pretty hilarious in how I had to defeat him.

a Fi1thy Casual said:AncientTides said:I briefly played the first one, and died. A lot. I really want to play them all but I suck so bad. Guess I'll just have to git gud...and not play as a thiefDon't feel bad - 99% of the people who jump into a Souls game "...suck so bad". Hell, I can not seem to get through Sen's Fortress laugh.

Yes, I am a failure
    Sen's fortress is like a mini Indiana Jones. It's fun but lots of traps and enemies hiding behind cover. I still remember when I got away from one enemy to just get hit by an arrow.
  • TheJord01TheJord01103,691
    Posted on 23 May 16 at 21:27Permalink
    Quelaag taught me to change up my playstyle or face constant death.

The Four Kings still cause me to enter brown trouser mode
  • Posted on 23 May 16 at 21:30Permalink
    TheJord01 said:Quelaag taught me to change up my playstyle or face constant death.

The Four Kings still cause me to enter brown trouser mode
    My first time meeting Quelaag was with my Pyromancer...who used pyromancy like a frickin crutch laugh

Let's just say he did not survive
    Fully loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness.
  • CompanyOfWolvesCompanyOfWolves1,164,102
    Posted on 23 May 16 at 22:48Permalink
    Not impressed with this "top 5". For one it's really a top 10, and the top 5s are at their best when exploring the huge variety of games available and the focus here is just too narrow. I know they have done boss fights before but there's plenty of scope for variation on the theme. Funny bosses, surprising ones (DmCs end boss springs to mind). Nothing against the DS community, but a top 5 of such limited scope seems lazy and shows little research.
  • Posted on 24 May 16 at 05:59Permalink
    A Dark Souls top 5, what a sleep fest.
    What's a twip? something a wabbit is on when he wides on a twain - Elmer Fudd.
  • Posted on 24 May 16 at 06:02Permalink
    CompanyOfWolves said:Not impressed with this "top 5". For one it's really a top 10, and the top 5s are at their best when exploring the huge variety of games available and the focus here is just too narrow. I know they have done boss fights before but there's plenty of scope for variation on the theme. Funny bosses, surprising ones (DmCs end boss springs to mind). Nothing against the DS community, but a top 5 of such limited scope seems lazy and shows little research.There are probably over 70 bosses across all three games - so this is definitely not a limited scope. The bosses in the Souls games are also very pivotal to the playing experience - probably more than any other series I've played outside of typical JRPGs.
    Posted on 24 May 16 at 06:26Permalink
    Agree. I think the article is interesting and it is a top 5. All TA top 5s have honourable mentions.
  • CompanyOfWolvesCompanyOfWolves1,164,102
    Posted on 24 May 16 at 08:46Permalink
    Honourable mentions are fine, but 5 is too many. It's basically a top 10. Just call it that then otherwise it comes across as undeceive. And it is limited scope, it's only 3 games. No matter how many bosses it has it's still a limited pool. I would say the same of any "top 5" that focused on the contents of one franchise. Now if they wanted to explore five ways that DS has influenced gaming that'd still be DS focused but with more scope. I'm sorry I find this uncreative and think TA can, and has done better.
    Posted on 24 May 16 at 08:54Permalink
    CompanyOfWolves said:Honourable mentions are fine, but 5 is too many. It's basically a top 10. Just call it that then otherwise it comes across as undeceive. And it is limited scope, it's only 3 games. No matter how many bosses it has it's still a limited pool. I would say the same of any "top 5" that focused on the contents of one franchise. Now if they wanted to explore five ways that DS has influenced gaming that'd still be DS focused but with more scope. I'm sorry I find this uncreative and think TA can, and has done better.I am pretty sure that they used only 3 games as the bosses in Dark Souls don't appear in other game. I may be wrong.
  • Darkwings17Darkwings171,223,741
    Posted on 24 May 16 at 09:54, Edited on 24 May 16 at 09:58 by Darkwings17Permalink
    LuckyConquerer2 said:CompanyOfWolves said:Honourable mentions are fine, but 5 is too many. It's basically a top 10. Just call it that then otherwise it comes across as undeceive. And it is limited scope, it's only 3 games. No matter how many bosses it has it's still a limited pool. I would say the same of any "top 5" that focused on the contents of one franchise. Now if they wanted to explore five ways that DS has influenced gaming that'd still be DS focused but with more scope. I'm sorry I find this uncreative and think TA can, and has done better.I am pretty sure that they used only 3 games as the bosses in Dark Souls don't appear in other game. I may be wrong.He may have said only 3 games, but that was pointing out how it is a limited pool based upon one franchise. He doesn't say that the bosses appear in other games, just that there could have been a better top five whilst still Dark Souls related. The idea of a Dark Souls inspired games list could work, or a top 5 Dark Souls references (Borderlands 2 Tiny Tina DLC comes to mind).

As for it being a list with limited scope, the same comments could be made if they did a top five respawn animations purely from Sunset Overdrive, top five GTA protagonists or top five SMITE characters given there is around 70 at this point.

On topic, my own opinion is I tried the first game, and I didn't find it interesting, nothing really hooked me in. Like others have said the game felt like it lacked a story. However, going by some of the comments, to fully understand and appreciate the story you have to do research outside of the game. As I recall that is something Destiny got a lot of hate for.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.