Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

TA Top Five: Dark Souls Bosses

• LuckyKantLuckyKant477,860
    Posted on 24 May 16 at 10:13Permalink
    Someone missed the sarcasm I usually post with.
  • AckterAckter324,959
    Posted on 24 May 16 at 21:11Permalink
    LuckyConquerer2 said:Did Dark Souls 2 or 3 add a pause 'feature'?If you Quit the game from the in-game menu you'll close the game and it'll reload at the exact same spot. So, while not a traditional pause, there's no reason you can't quit out until you're ready again.

The exception being boss fights.
    Posted on 24 May 16 at 22:08Permalink
    I never knew that. That would have been helpful. I always quit at bonfires, thinking I would respawn there anyway.
  • vSullyvSully832,305
    Posted on 25 May 16 at 14:19Permalink
    Darkwings17 said:On topic, my own opinion is I tried the first game, and I didn't find it interesting, nothing really hooked me in. Like others have said the game felt like it lacked a story. However, going by some of the comments, to fully understand and appreciate the story you have to do research outside of the game. As I recall that is something Destiny got a lot of hate for.Everything you need to know about the story and lore for the Dark Souls games is found within the games. But it is largely not beaten over your head or shoved in your face. You have to read item descriptions, exhaust dialogue with NPCs, and put pieces together. Its extremely deep and complex regardless of what anyone says to the contrary. And it's nothing like Destiny's lore system where all of the lore is locked behind grimoire cards that aren't visible inside the game.

These games simply don't give you a lot of direction. Everything is left for you to discover yourself. That's what I find so enjoyable about themt. Story, exploration, advancement – figure it all out for yourself. It's all right there, but you have to put in an effort to find it.
  • Posted on 25 May 16 at 14:30, Edited on 25 May 16 at 14:34 by a Fi1thy CasualPermalink
    vSully said:Darkwings17 said:On topic, my own opinion is I tried the first game, and I didn't find it interesting, nothing really hooked me in. Like others have said the game felt like it lacked a story. However, going by some of the comments, to fully understand and appreciate the story you have to do research outside of the game. As I recall that is something Destiny got a lot of hate for.Everything you need to know about the story and lore for the Dark Souls games is found within the games. But it is largely not beaten over your head or shoved in your face. You have to read item descriptions, exhaust dialogue with NPCs, and put pieces together. Its extremely deep and complex regardless of what anyone says to the contrary. And it's nothing like Destiny's lore system where all of the lore is locked behind grimoire cards that aren't visible inside the game.

These games simply don't give you a lot of direction. Everything is left for you to discover yourself. That's what I find so enjoyable about themt. Story, exploration, advancement – figure it all out for yourself. It's all right there, but you have to put in an effort to find it.
    I like to think of Souls games a lot like anchovies: at first, they appear disgusting, and even upon an initial taste, they can cause some to say "Who the f*ck would eat this nasty sh*t?!"

However, after some time, it has the potential to be the one pizza toping you go to every time wink

Acquired tastes: sometimes it just takes a bit of time to get use to something before you can get really immersed in the experience.
    Fully loaded, safety off. This here is a recipe for unpleasantness.
  • Posted on 27 May 16 at 04:21Permalink
    I'm not very far into III yet but I thought Crystal Sage was a pretty cool boss.
  • Posted on 27 May 16 at 05:15Permalink
    Nice list might need to redo it in a year to account the DSIII DLC bosses.
    Kane no1 of the 7
  • NBA KirklandNBA Kirkland1,184,009
  • AckterAckter324,959
    Posted on 27 May 16 at 18:49Permalink
    There's never enough love for the Moonlight Butterfly. It's an amazing experience, if not a hard boss.
    Posted on 28 May 16 at 02:23Permalink
    ^ I liked the butterfly. Felt very unique.
  • AncientTidesAncientTides208,579
    Posted on 29 May 16 at 10:46Permalink
    LuckyConquerer2 said:AncientTides said:I briefly played the first one, and died. A lot. I really want to play them all but I suck so bad. Guess I'll just have to git gud...and not play as a thiefKeep trying. Learn the moves of the opponent and the game will be a breeze. You just get punished for small errors.

There is a walkthrough on TA that helped me a lot. I highly recommend it.
    Oh cool thanks. Stolen the first game off a friend to try again. Now just to find the time to actually play it laugh
  • AckterAckter324,959
    Posted on 29 May 16 at 12:39Permalink
    Start off as the Knight. He's slow, but heavily armoured with a 100% physical damage-resistant shield iirc.
  • Strategy OneStrategy One662,346
    Posted on 02 June 16 at 20:58, Edited on 02 June 16 at 20:58 by Strategy OnePermalink
    Har Miggido said:zRaijin said:Am I the only one that never played any Dark Souls game laughMe neither making this top 5 redundant. (Ignore the ass) ^Me 3, a list just about Dark Souls.... I wanted to see some interesting characters but I guess I came unimpressed.
  • MazraelMazrael286,611
    Posted on 02 August 16 at 17:33Permalink
    Best Boss., is probably Gaping Dragon.. (being that I've only played the first) beating O+S for me, as they point out the games lack of friendly fire and they ignore clipping, which kills any tactical play when you get speared through a Smough and a pillar, it's just silly

Worst Boss.... Bed Of Chaos, although simple in theory., the last stage of it is just a gauntlet, dodging the sweeping arms (you either get swept down the chasm or knocked over, and need to heal, which also gets you killed).. when you do get past the thing often nukes the place you need to be, so best to roll through, my character has nothing better to wear.. need to be light enough to roll, but poise enough to not get knocked down (since equipment and luck are more important than skill in this game)

When ever we do a "best" list, we should always do a "worst" too
  • Renegade531Renegade531186,576
    Posted on 23 September 17 at 16:42Permalink
    My favorite boss will always have to be Knight Artorias. No gimmicks, no cheap shots, no impossible to dodge or block moves. Just a straight up duel between two knights with one looking to keep his honor and the other having to kill the other to preserve their honor.

On a side note, if anyone needs help in the first game, whether it be a new play through or tips, just message me and I can try to show you the ropes.
    Renegade
  • Posted on 19 December 18 at 09:01Permalink
    5. Deacons of the Deep
    4. Ancient Wyvern
    3. Prowling Magus and Congregation
    2. Pinwheel
    1. Royal Rat Vanguard
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.