Game Discussion: Fallout 3 Forum

Fallout 3 Multi-Genre Discussion

AuthorMessage
MakeMeACoffee
MakeMeACoffee
Posted on 06 July 17 at 13:57
ClownTastic said:
Huh, that must have been through the votes. I'm pretty sure nobody on the team made that change.
How can you say that with a straight face?
RIP Trueachievement App http://www.trueachievements.com/forum/viewthread.aspx?tid=491015
Sabin VI
Sabin VI
Posted on 07 July 17 at 12:49
EYEHUNTER 42 said:
To me, Third person shooter implies the use of a cover mechanic. It's not just a question of perspective.
that's like saying " First Person Shooter only implies if you can aim down the Sights"

btw there have been 3rd Person Shooters waaaaaaayyy before Gears of War (Max Payne 1&2 for example)
ClownTastic
ClownTastic
Posted on 07 July 17 at 13:06
MakeMeACoffee said:
ClownTastic said:
Huh, that must have been through the votes. I'm pretty sure nobody on the team made that change.
How can you say that with a straight face?
Because it's me being honest. All genres that were initially tagged were done automatically after the massive vote drive that occurred before the system was implemented. If a genre received enough votes then it was added so I'm guessing Sandbox had received enough votes for it.
MakeMeACoffee
MakeMeACoffee
Posted on 07 July 17 at 13:18
What makes a game Sandbox

ClownTastic said:
The reason Elder Scrolls and Dead Island etc were Sandbox was from community votes, these were then fixed as they are considered RPG games and we felt that having both Sandbox and RPG was a bit redundant and while RPGs do generally have some side quests etc they usually have an end point (besides one or two repeatable quests) whereas in a Sandbox side activities generally remain repeatable permanently in some form.
RIP Trueachievement App http://www.trueachievements.com/forum/viewthread.aspx?tid=491015
ClownTastic
ClownTastic
Posted on 07 July 17 at 14:17
And? I said that we changed Elder Scrolls and Dead Island, I didn't say we picked up on and changed every single one did I?
Skeptical Mario
Posted on 07 July 17 at 14:28, Edited on 07 July 17 at 14:28 by Skeptical Mario
I agree with Zonrith, Fallout should have Open World.
Open World added to Fallout 3.
Leo Ascendent
Leo Ascendent
Posted on 07 July 17 at 17:40, Edited on 07 July 17 at 17:43 by Leo Ascendent
And this is why the site needs additional definition and requirements.

What constitutes what? Is it as much a shooter as, oh, Halo, Battlefield, Call of Duty? No. Does it have shooter mechanics? Only an idiot would say it doesn't. If we call it a shooter, might as well call it a hack and slash as well, I usually use melee so, yeah.

Is there a term that could be added that means the player can opt for guns and melee? Would reduce a lot of these squabbles.

Hell, I could argue it's a Sim, you build settlements and take care of the people there, but I'd be grasping at straws (and I didn't read anything past the first page, so I'm sure someone already said it WAS a Sim laugh)

Bottom line, a more accurate definition is needed, just like they did with flags.
FFX Brotherhood
Posted on 07 July 17 at 18:23, Edited on 07 July 17 at 18:26 by FFX Brotherhood
You don't really build settlements on this one, that's Fallout 4's specialty. But I feel you were just trying to make a point wink

I think the definitions are accurate, but it needs to be thought of as an "Over-arching" genre which would be RPG (At least I'd argue for it, that or Open world) and then there are subtle genres like FPS and TPS which have their elements in the game.

Then we could have over-arching genre titles, so FPS games would be things like CoD, Battlefield, Halo etc, and other games can have FPS but not as a 'Main' genre. Then games like CoD and Fallout aren't in the same pool.
I do like it when the red stuff comes out.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.