Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Xbox Fitness Says Goodbye

AuthorMessage
Xpovos
Xpovos
Posted on 14 December 16 at 18:35
I think the shutdown rationale has to do with the decisions made at the start--to keep the content stream-only. It gave them more granular data about our use, but streaming that much video on a fixed cost basis is a money-losing proposition. It's why they're shutting down the streaming first, I think. And they couldn't fix that, I suspect, because they'd set up the licenses for at least some of the content in ways that they had to stream it.

When you think about how much money MS lost on this program, it's astounding. Anyone that purchase anything ever got a full refund. All of the streaming costs are still there, and any licensing paid--it's not really obvious which way they money flowed. Did Gatorade pay MS for those programs? Or did MS subsidize the content some and Gatorade said, "Fine," because it was basically nearly free advertising.

But if they were willing to eat the cost of writing off the entire program from the very beginning in order to shut off the indefinite dripfeed of losses from streaming, we know it has to be bad.

Xbox Fitness was a good program that could've been a lot more if it had been managed right. And I'm just afraid tht MS is going to learn all the wrong lessons from this experience.
Time not important; only life important.
MathGuy42
MathGuy42
Posted on 14 December 16 at 19:06
Chakaal Starr and Xpovos, I agree with both of you to a large extent. I can understand that some licensees would want to pull some of their content after a contract had ended. And I understand that streaming is expensive. I wouldn't expect MS to keep streaming going forever. But a fair compromise would have been to keep Xbox Fitness in its post-Dec 15 state indefinitely: If you paid for content, you can download it and continue to play it.
Xpovos said:
And they couldn't fix that, I suspect, because they'd set up the licenses for at least some of the content in ways that they had to stream it.
However, I think all (or at least most) of the paid content became downloadable. Even the free Gold workouts from Mossa could be downloaded if you paid for them. So I don't think there was much content that could only be streamed.

I've heard that P90X and Mossa have started or will start their own online services, so I suppose they don't want to compete with their old content. If they're dictating to MS that their content must be shut off, even the downloaded videos, then that's not customer friendly. Many of those videos can't be used again anyway since they were made specifically for Xbox Fitness and mention it by name. At the least it seems like the "for Xbox Fitness" videos could remain in downloadable form.

I've been buying a lot of digital for the past few years, but this is a cautionary tale. I suppose any other movies, TV shows, or games could be taken away someday. At least MS did give refunds, as Xpovos mentions.
Joonas
Joonas
Posted on 14 December 16 at 22:47, Edited on 14 December 16 at 23:01 by Joonas
It's now a little over midnight here in Finland and I just started Xbox Fitness and got a message saying:

"Xbox Fitness Service Update: The time has come. As we announced in June, the "Free with Gold" offer for Xbox Fitness has ended. Beginning December 15th, 2016, the workouts available for streaming for free to Xbox Live Gold users are no longer available. If you have purchased any workouts or programs, you will be able to continue playing those workouts through June 30th, 2017."

I have never bought any programs, but these are the ones that are shown in my content library as unlocked:

Athlete Fit with Russell Wilson
Gatorade Sports Performance: Basketball Training Camp with Paul George
Gatorade Sports Performance: Football Training Camp with JJ Watt
Mobility & Strength Training for Xbox Fitness
Xbox Fitness Demo
Zombies for Xbox Fitness

All the free 10 Minute Solution (5 of them) and MOSSA (4 of them) programs that were previously available streaming for free have disappeared.
Xpovos
Xpovos
Posted on 14 December 16 at 23:30
Joonas, thanks for the heads-up. I've wondered about what programs might be available still after the date and their lack of clarity never helped. I worked on the assumption that everything but Zombies and Mobility & Strength would be gone (the ones I was able to download) but I had some secret hopes that some would be left. It looks like some might be... for a bit at least.
MathGuy42
MathGuy42
Posted on 14 December 16 at 23:46
I wonder if any of those workouts include punches. If not, then the current challenge
Xbox FitnessFit FridayThe Fit Friday challenge in Xbox FitnessThrow 1,125 punches in two month!
becomes unobtainable for most people. I've had a lot of trouble getting Mossa Fight punch progress to stick, so I'm only at 17%.

The solutions for
Xbox FitnessFurious FistsThe Furious Fists achievement in Xbox Fitness worth 83 pointsThrow 1,000 punches.
Xbox FitnessFight BackThe Fight Back achievement in Xbox Fitness worth 199 pointsThrow 3,000 punches.
also only mention Mossa Fight and 10 Minute Kickboxing.
Xpovos
Xpovos
Posted on 14 December 16 at 23:57, Edited on 15 December 16 at 00:01 by Xpovos
Demo has a MOSSA section, and an Insanity section that have "punches", but I don't remember seeing the blue tracers that indicated a punch was being registered.

Zombies has some moves that might count.

Mobility and Fitness I actually haven't played much (except Lower Body for the previous challenge) in order to keep them fresh for this shutdown. So I have no idea. I'd guess Upper Body might have something.
SherlockGecko
SherlockGecko
Posted on 15 December 16 at 07:39
There are a few punching drills on Mobility and Fitness - Upper Body.
erod550
erod550
Posted on 15 December 16 at 08:58
If anyone finds a spot in the workouts that are left that works like the knockout body blast for repeating short drills to get stars, it would be good to get a new post-shutdown solution going to finish up Run the Day.
Legohead 1977
Legohead 1977
Posted on 15 December 16 at 09:57
MathGuy42 said:
I wonder if any of those workouts include punches. If not, then the current challenge
Xbox FitnessFit FridayThe Fit Friday challenge in Xbox FitnessThrow 1,125 punches in two month!
becomes unobtainable for most people. I've had a lot of trouble getting Mossa Fight punch progress to stick, so I'm only at 17%.

The solutions for
Xbox FitnessFurious FistsThe Furious Fists achievement in Xbox Fitness worth 83 pointsThrow 1,000 punches.
Xbox FitnessFight BackThe Fight Back achievement in Xbox Fitness worth 199 pointsThrow 3,000 punches.
I think anything where the sparks fly as you punch count. I was using the body blast to finish run the day and for workouts 3, 4 and 5 punches were registering, so I just punched and ignored what the instructor was doing. Knocked them out in about 15 minutes!

Sorry I don't know a specific workout, but if you see sparks, snap the achievements and check if it's working...then just punch, punch, punch!
Legohead 1977
Legohead 1977
Legohead 1977
Posted on 15 December 16 at 10:00
erod550 said:
If anyone finds a spot in the workouts that are left that works like the knockout body blast for repeating short drills to get stars, it would be good to get a new post-shutdown solution going to finish up Run the Day.
I am sure I have seen one mentioned for the demo somewhere, not quite as fast as body blast, but still quicker than completing workouts.
Legohead 1977
WPN Gods TERROR
Posted on 15 December 16 at 12:36
At 80% for Run the Day left my console on with body blast and still able to play it. Not leaving til I finish lol
MathGuy42
MathGuy42
Posted on 15 December 16 at 13:27
SherlockGecko said:
There are a few punching drills on Mobility and Fitness - Upper Body.
Thanks! The drills are numbers 32, 33, 36, and 37. I got the blue sparks and made some progress for each drill. Just like Mossa Fight, the progress was erratic, sometimes 0% and one time a jump of 7%. Even though progress is unpredictable, I still have 40 days, so this will be easy. (This is for the Fit Friday challenge.)

While the Demo does have some downward punches in the Mossa Fight portion, I don't think those will count. No blue sparks.

Back when I was experimenting for Peak Performance, I made some sporadic progress on Zombies, so hopefully
Xbox FitnessJump Into the New YearThe Jump Into the New Year challenge in Xbox FitnessJump, climb, and squat your way to 500 meters.
won't be an issue when it rolls around.
Legohead 1977
Legohead 1977
Posted on 15 December 16 at 14:16
I am hoping to try leaving Drill 33 on pause for Zombies and just squatting my way to glory...I believe I am close to 86% for Everest, so I will be able to see if this works!
Legohead 1977
Elyoh
Elyoh
Posted on 15 December 16 at 18:19
Legohead 1977 said:
MathGuy42 said:

The solutions for
I think anything where the sparks fly as you punch count. I was using the body blast to finish run the day and for workouts 3, 4 and 5 punches were registering, so I just punched and ignored what the instructor was doing. Knocked them out in about 15 minutes!

Sorry I don't know a specific workout, but if you see sparks, snap the achievements and check if it's working...then just punch, punch, punch!
For the GTASC 2015 we used one of these punching achievements. Loaded up the game, picked a random workout and just punched, completely ignoring what the instructor said. Worked a charm, don't know if it was just luck of the workout we picked though.
No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
Legohead 1977
Legohead 1977
Posted on 16 December 16 at 10:39
That must have been luck, or maybe it's different for the achievements to the challenge?

When I punched on the workouts that didn't have the blue flashes, the snapped achievement progress bar didn't budge.
Legohead 1977
Edson Mota
Edson Mota
Posted on 16 December 16 at 21:43, Edited on 16 December 16 at 21:43 by Edson Mota
Joonas said:
It's now a little over midnight here in Finland and I just started Xbox Fitness and got a message saying:

"Xbox Fitness Service Update: The time has come. As we announced in June, the "Free with Gold" offer for Xbox Fitness has ended. Beginning December 15th, 2016, the workouts available for streaming for free to Xbox Live Gold users are no longer available. If you have purchased any workouts or programs, you will be able to continue playing those workouts through June 30th, 2017."

I have never bought any programs, but these are the ones that are shown in my content library as unlocked:

Athlete Fit with Russell Wilson
Gatorade Sports Performance: Basketball Training Camp with Paul George
Gatorade Sports Performance: Football Training Camp with JJ Watt
Mobility & Strength Training for Xbox Fitness
Xbox Fitness Demo
Zombies for Xbox Fitness

All the free 10 Minute Solution (5 of them) and MOSSA (4 of them) programs that were previously available streaming for free have disappeared.
WPN Gods TERROR said:
At 80% for Run the Day left my console on with body blast and still able to play it. Not leaving til I finish lol
I'm still playing Mossa Groove, but my console is on since 12/12 with it. Can more people please confirm if you still can do it or do I have to stay with it on until I finish the Peak achievement?
Edson Mota
Xpovos
Xpovos
Posted on 16 December 16 at 21:47
Peak Performance can be completed with other workouts, but I think if you turn off the system or even just Xbox Fitness (including due to a crash) you will no longer be able to access Groove. I cannot.
MathGuy42
MathGuy42
Posted on 17 December 16 at 02:15
According to this post, Zombies - Evade will give jump progress.

I forgot I made this post summarizing how long 1% of Peak Performance would take, based on community reports (usually not my own experiments). The pertinent parts for today:

Demo - 149 min

Gatorade
Football Stamina - 90 min or 142 min
Football Recovery - no time given
Basketball Recovery - no time given

Zombies
Evade - 113 min
Sneak - 96 min

I don't know if any of them would work with the paper dummy method. Most people used Mossa Groove for that.
SilverSluggerMZ
Posted on 18 December 16 at 17:38
For Peak Performance.. I put my dumby up and pause the workout once it starts to recognize it. I'll leave it paused overnight and wake up to 2-3% increase in Peak Performance after I unpause it and let it move to the next part of the work out. Simple, effective way to get progress towards Peak Performance or Everest without even playing,
Always down to boost & grind..
MathGuy42
MathGuy42
Posted on 18 December 16 at 17:42
SilverSluggerMZ said:
For Peak Performance.. I put my dumby up and pause the workout once it starts to recognize it.
What workout are you using now? Or does it even matter?
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.