Game Discussion: Sacred Citadel Forum

Sacred Citadel Multi-Genre Discussion

AuthorMessage
Posted on 06 July 16 at 19:05
Please use this thread to discuss this games classification under the new multi-genre system.

Click here to cast your votes.
Posted on 26 June 17 at 01:18
WildWhiteNoise has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
This game should be a hack 'n slash. You never ever use your fists, only weapons, so beat 'em up is just wrong.
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 26 June 17 at 13:38
Our definition of Hack & Slash isn't the presence of weapons, it actually is a bit more nuanced. Here is the definition:
Hack & Slash games usually feature a single or small group of characters facing off against medium to large groups of enemies (sometimes hundreds at a time) and gameplay is usually quite fast paced. Upgrading of either weapons or characters is generally a strong point of gameplay.

I've underlined the key element. Much like under the old genre system, this was often a point of confusion, but if a game has you use weapons but they're really more like props than actually managed via extensive upgrades or min/max weapon swapping to defeat enemies, then the game tends to actually be a Beat 'em up. Conversely, even a non-weapon game that exploits those features (maybe using "powers" instead, to enhance your fists and kicks and all that) can be a Hack & Slash.

My understanding of this game is there is some weapon swapping, but I don't think upgrades are a major point of the game. As such, I think Beat 'em up is the more appropriate home and thus support keeping the genre tagged as-is.
Eclectic Gamers Podcast: http://eclecticgamers.com
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 27 June 17 at 13:11, Edited on 27 June 17 at 13:11 by Zonrith1
Clown has concurred, we're going to keep this tagged as Beat 'em up. Thank you for the submission.
Eclectic Gamers Podcast: http://eclecticgamers.com
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.