Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Evolve Goes Free to Play on Steam, Consoles to Follow

AuthorMessage
Ereaser NL
Ereaser NL
Posted on 08 July 16 at 08:16
I have to say, at least the developers realize their game failed with the current pricing model.
None of my friends was willing to pay that much for a game with just a one trick pony 4 v 1 game mode.
Kronos DCXVI
Kronos DCXVI
Posted on 08 July 16 at 08:40
I regret dling this on free play days last year. Now I got a cash cow game that sucks that is unfinished. :(
xLsWx
xLsWx
Posted on 08 July 16 at 08:50
I think this could be a positive thing - Evolve is a good game, its just a shame the servers didn't quite get the load they needed...f2p can only mean more games and matches which is a good thing in my book. Look at Smite, Neverwinter, Warframe etc..
kipjib
kipjib
Posted on 08 July 16 at 10:40
MotoX Champ88 said:MitRialb said:Allowing this game to go up on sale right before this is announced may be one of the most cringeworthy things I've heard.What's cringeworthy is when people don't read articles and just post based on reading the title. They said it could be months before the Free to Play model comes to consoles. And more than likely if someone buys the game on sale this week, they'd go for the Ultimate Edition with all the DLC. So now is a chance to grab it all at a discounted price (assuming you want it) before the switch to free to play. I can almost guarantee you the DLC will never be free so this sale is still relevant.This is exactly what I did today. I own a disc version, but couldn't be bothered using a disc anymore, and I wanted to reduce the amount of grind I will have to perform when F2P comes in.

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 08 July 16 at 12:06
lol, i commented on this stupid game when it was coming out, knew it would flop. garbage
My God promised me "hope and change" over 2000 years ago, how is your god working out?
Elite1111111111
Posted on 08 July 16 at 13:00, Edited on 08 July 16 at 14:37 by Elite1111111111
Liked this game, but when I stopped playing I just never had any desire to go back. Only gotten on it once since then. Between the DLC customization, monsters, and hunters, they were essentially set up to be F2P anyway.

Edit: Just saw the 'All Hunters Can Dome' part. I mean I guess it's kind of nice that the trapper doesn't have to always be there to catch the monster, but not sure how I feel about it.
1. Are they still going to be called trappers XD
2. Is the dome gonna be on some team cooldown? Now you don't gotta be a trapper to grief =D

Edit2: They've apparently removed all achievements from the steam version, so people might want to get their achievements done as a precaution.
https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t/evolve-stage-2-communit...
THEpaynexkiller
Posted on 08 July 16 at 16:00
TheAaronLad said:Watch it turn into Pay 2 Win even more so than what it was. But free to play is free to play. That is if this rumour is true.Rumour? It's free to play now.
Ostrowidzki1989
Posted on 08 July 16 at 16:06
I couldn't even be bothered when it was $5 CAD. I may dl it, but my 4tb external is running out of space :(

Removed Gamer
Gamer has been removed
Posted on 08 July 16 at 20:40
matdan said:Har Miggido said:It's the stores that have physical copies that are going to get hurt hereThey're practically throwing these out the door anyway.But still. Stock ain't going to be worth a dime.
misfit119
misfit119
Posted on 09 July 16 at 01:32
Elite1111111111 said:Edit2: They've apparently removed all achievements from the steam version, so people might want to get their achievements done as a precaution.
https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t/evolve-stage-2-communit...
Oh sweet shit. Thanks for finding that. Gonna have to go, go, go!
Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 09 July 16 at 05:11
I don't see that happening on the Xbox One any time soon though... doesn't Microsoft have a policy about that? Was any actual, already unlocked achievement pulled from a list before? If so, I am not aware of that. Whereas this is (sort of) common practice on Steam.
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
matdan
matdan
Posted on 09 July 16 at 05:30
Shinnizle said:I don't see that happening on the Xbox One any time soon though... doesn't Microsoft have a policy about that? Was any actual, already unlocked achievement pulled from a list before? If so, I am not aware of that. Whereas this is (sort of) common practice on Steam.I believe there was a game that had that happen, forgot what it was called. Probably a phone game though.
GMN
GMN
Posted on 09 July 16 at 08:41
matdan said:xONLY INHUMANx said:cheers for the exclusive badges, skins and other cosmetic items............................but seriously i paid $20 for what useless crap just for the game to go free, plus i brought unravel and what happens? it's going free in the ea access not buying anymore games because they shouldn't be selling games if it's going free or how about advertise it in advance and not try and sell it in sales firstWhy do you think I didn't buy Need for Speed, GW2 or Unravel because you know with EA they will go free within a year. Ubisoft you are safe from getting ripped off.pressure from an 8yr old made me cave with PvZGW2 , The rest though happy to wait until they hit the vault. Surprised Battlefront hasn't went free sooner.
MarekVit
MarekVit
Posted on 09 July 16 at 16:05
xONLY INHUMANx said:cheers for the exclusive badges, skins and other cosmetic items............................but seriously i paid $20 for what useless crap just for the game to go free, plus i brought unravel and what happens? it's going free in the ea access not buying anymore games because they shouldn't be selling games if it's going free or how about advertise it in advance and not try and sell it in sales firstWait, you didn't know that EA games eventually end up in the vault?

Good luck with never buying games again, though. :-)
misfit119
misfit119
Posted on 09 July 16 at 20:28
matdan said:Shinnizle said:I don't see that happening on the Xbox One any time soon though... doesn't Microsoft have a policy about that? Was any actual, already unlocked achievement pulled from a list before? If so, I am not aware of that. Whereas this is (sort of) common practice on Steam.I believe there was a game that had that happen, forgot what it was called. Probably a phone game though.Lara Croft: Relic Run is probably what you're thinking of. Two achievements just pulled from the list. Now the game only has a max 180 GS in it.
Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
Shinnizle
Shinnizle
Posted on 09 July 16 at 21:16
Wow... that's a dick move laugh
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
Large Coffee
Large Coffee
Posted on 09 July 16 at 23:11
It almost feels kinda wrong that they put it on sale on console.
http://i.imgur.com/hhiPvya.gif
Elite1111111111
Posted on 10 July 16 at 07:58
Large Coffee said:It almost feels kinda wrong that they put it on sale on console.Saves you some grinding or micro-transactions later.
Mild Gonolini
Mild Gonolini
Posted on 10 July 16 at 20:08
This should have been free on launch, there's just not enough content to warrant a full price game release. This is... Interesting that they'd do this but at the end of the day I seriously doubt there will be more than just a few people who will bother to actually play this again now that's it's got a bit of new content. I just feel like a jackass for having spent 70 dollars on this thing.

This seems like a “jump the shark” move and I would be shocked if anyone actually played the game after it.
Elite1111111111
Posted on 12 July 16 at 16:55
Gravedigga63 said:This should have been free on launch, there's just not enough content to warrant a full price game release. This is... Interesting that they'd do this but at the end of the day I seriously doubt there will be more than just a few people who will bother to actually play this again now that's it's got a bit of new content. I just feel like a jackass for having spent 70 dollars on this thing.

This seems like a “jump the shark” move and I would be shocked if anyone actually played the game after it.
On Steam it had a concurrent player count of over 20k with the free to play beta. Doubt there'll be that much of a playerbase on console, however. Plus that 20k will probably die down a lot by the time it's 'officially' released.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.