Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Kung-Fu for Kinect Review

• punkyliarpunkyliar289,189
  • Zorlac0666Zorlac0666222,030
    Posted on 08 July 16 at 18:45
    Your first line is part of the problem with this gaming generation. You start off being completely negative about the very IDEAL of a new kinect game. While your review ends up being solid, that alone nearly turned me off from reading it.
    Posted on 08 July 16 at 19:39, Edited on 08 July 16 at 19:42 by punkyliar
    Zorlac0666 said:Your first line is part of the problem with this gaming generation. You start off being completely negative about the very IDEAL of a new kinect game. While your review ends up being solid, that alone nearly turned me off from reading it.You're implying a lot of your own opinion to that first line. The point of that paragraph is to state that nobody would have expected a remaster of Kung Fu High Impact, not that it was a bad idea. It's not negative and it's very likely true -- I don't think Kung Fu High Impact would have been first on anybody's list of remasters.

I'd actually support the idea of more Kinect games. Like most Kinect owners, we don't want to have a peripheral that will end up gathering dust when Microsoft finally drops support for it.
  • Posted on 08 July 16 at 20:54, Edited on 08 July 16 at 20:55 by Mr Granstaff
    Great review (much better than my poor attempt at one). Your thoughts certainly echo mine almost verbatim. While I enjoyed this game for the most part, I do wish the story was more fleshed out and a little bit more incentive at replay value.

The challenges were a welcomed addition though despite them being incredibly difficult.

I'm also glad to see that I wasn't the only one that had difficulties pulling off a somersault.

Oh, that reminds me: how did you come to the conclusion that lighting affected the Kinect's recognition at times? Did you purposely eliminate variables (turning off lights) or something?
    "Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." — Mark Twain
    Posted on 08 July 16 at 21:54
    Mr Granstaff said:Oh, that reminds me: how did you come to the conclusion that lighting affected the Kinect's recognition at times? Did you purposely eliminate variables (turning off lights) or something?Playing at different times of the day, with or without artificial lighting, opening and closing curtains at the same time of day, cutting out the possibilities of glare from different sources, that kind of thing. The Xbox 360 sensor always had similar issues but on a much worse scale.
  • coipcoip305,632
    Posted on 09 July 16 at 00:40
    I'm glad TA finally reviewed this game. It deserves more recognition. It's a very fun game. Personally, I'd give it an 8/10. There is a lot of variety, in enemy types, in power moves and power ups, and in the setting. Sure, the story is cheesy, but it's suppose to be! That is an homage to 20th Century Kung-Fu cinema. And the moving comic book technique to tell the story that cleverly spliced in your own body was fantastic and fun. The extra challenge modes add even more variety (I'm still impressed with how many mini-games there are. Yes, they're a tad hard but only because they force you to think about strategy (something most people don't expect to have to do in this game and something you don't have to do in the Story mode, which has adjustable difficulty level and is really quite easy and laid back). For the most part, I did not have issues with the Kinect recognizing my moves. The few times I did, I realized it was my fault (i.e. overcompensating and aggressively trying to do some of the moves rather than doing them properly), not the Kinect's.

I'm glad they remade this game, and I wish Microsoft and other companies would remake many more Xbox 360 Kinect games, particularly Child of Eden. But Microsoft seems hellbent on alienating Kinect users as much as possible, so that's unlikely. At least Fru comes out next week.
  • Facial La FleurFacial La Fleur1,638,884
    Posted on 09 July 16 at 01:31
    Negatives: It's a Kinect game. smile
  • TheMaizeTheMaize1,402,293
    Posted on 09 July 16 at 04:29
    Seems like a good little game...sadly because of my laziness, i already have too many unstarted and unfinished kinect games...(including all their previous titles) so im gonna wait with that.
  • coipcoip305,632
    Posted on 09 July 16 at 18:32
    Facial La Fleur said:
    Negatives: It's a Kinect game. smile
    Being a Kinect game is an automatic positive. Controllers are boring.
  • ecinrunecinrun1,112,117
    Posted on 11 July 16 at 16:02
    Fun fact: my gamerpic is from Kung Fu High Impact
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 12 July 16 at 14:14
    I was watching people stream this the other day - could be fun for my nephews.
    A simple bad habit will mar an otherwise flawless character, as a single ink drop soils the pure white page.
  • NightVisionNightVision640,173
    Posted on 16 July 16 at 00:29
    I played this on the 360 and found it amusing and fun... I got it awhile ago when it was on sale for about $5. This review is good and makes me want to go play my 360 copy but, I don't want to buy the xbox one version only because I would have to replay the game. I like achievements but, I think I'll stick with just the one set of achievements.
    Thanks for a solid review.
    Love what you do, do what you love. When in doubt, frag them out!
  • FullMoonBeaverFullMoonBeaver1,688,876
    Posted on 28 July 16 at 13:33
    Good review. I had it to review for another site recently, and can honestly say I did not enjoy it one bit. S o far, FRU as been the best title I have played on Kinnect.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads