Game Discussion: CastleStorm – Definitive Edition

CastleStorm – Definitive Edition Multi-Genre Discussion

• Posted on 16 July 16 at 21:05Permalink
    Please use this thread to discuss this games classification under the new multi-genre system.

Click here to cast your votes.
  • Posted on 19 July 16 at 14:41Permalink
    This is a tough one - it's like a rudimentary Real-time Strategy game, but the use of the ballista prompted me to add Action as well.
  • Posted on 03 April 17 at 02:21Permalink
    ITS ALivEx has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
    I feel this a Strategy + Real Time game, not Tower Defense. Your castle is more the base or HQ you start your troops from. You do not build up the castle or turrets to defend against enemy swarms. Even the archer unit does not stay inside your castle.
  • Posted on 03 April 17 at 14:23Permalink
    I agree, Tower Defense does not really apply. Does the strategy element matter enough for that to be the genre rather than just Action?
  • ITS ALivExITS ALivEx133,724
    Posted on 05 April 17 at 02:51Permalink
    For me it's not action. Outside of your hero unit and maybe the balista, you don't directly control things. The Strategy comes from troop deployment, managing your food resource, and deciding which rooms for your setup. It is not Strategy in the sense of gathering resources, or deciding where to deploy my castle on the battlefield.

My take
    "Every argument you make has probably been debated into the ground, back up and down into it again" -Dr Doppelklick
  • Posted on 05 April 17 at 12:48Permalink
    My thinking is that the ballista, hero, and spells are 80% of what you do. You do need the troops for more difficult levels, but their selection is not much of a strategic deployment.
  • ClownTasticClownTastic750,613
    Posted on 26 April 17 at 10:35Permalink
    I'd be happy with just plain Strategy. I understand the thought behind adding Real-Time but when I think RTS I think of Command & Conquer, Halo Wars etc.
  • Zonrith1Zonrith1595,087
    Posted on 03 May 17 at 14:05Permalink
    Agreeing with Clown. I can sort of see Tower Defense (leaned that way originally), but based on the other comments I'm convinced it is doing more harm than good. Also, the mix of gameplay makes me think Real-Time might be misleading, so I'd like to keep it off.

Tower Defense now removed, only Strategy remains. I've also implemented the change on the original CastleStorm so they are consistent. Thanks all!
    Eclectic Gamers Podcast: http://eclecticgamers.com
  • ITS ALivExITS ALivEx133,724
    Posted on 18 May 17 at 00:37Permalink
    toast
    "Every argument you make has probably been debated into the ground, back up and down into it again" -Dr Doppelklick
  • JORAXJORAX1,397,478
    Posted on 16 December 19 at 22:48Permalink
    Wait, this isn't tower defense anymore? You literally have a castle, made of towers, that you defend. It's tagged as Tower Defense on Steam, and this is the description of the franchise from the dev's own website (emphasis mine):

"Welcome to the world of CastleStorm, a super genre mashup of 2D physics destruction mashed with tower defense brawler!"
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.