Game Discussion: Child of Light Forum

Child of Light Multi-Genre Discussion

AuthorMessage
Information Posted on 16 July 16 at 21:05
Please use this thread to discuss this games classification under the new multi-genre system.

Click here to cast your votes.
Skeptical Mario
Posted on 19 July 16 at 14:43
Turn-based and Role-playing... I'm not sure if anything else fits.
Our Afflictions
Posted on 22 July 16 at 09:06
Turn based definitely needs to be added.
Information Posted on 28 August 18 at 00:27
KinectKid333 has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
Metroidvania. If this game doesn't fit into that genre then I don't know what does. Please also make sure to apply this to the 360 version

Metroidvania is a sub-genre of Action-Adventure that focuses on exploration of a single interconnected world. The player will gain new skills / abilities that allow them to explore once inaccessible areas as well as growing in power via an advancement system. These games feature prominent platforming elements, such as precision jumping, but need not be platformers. Instead, the player is mainly antagonized by enemies which can be defeated through combat.
Vitiated1
Vitiated1
Posted on 28 August 18 at 14:11
Hey, so do you have any evidence to back this up? Specific examples of gameplay elements or mechanics? Times you get a certain item which allows you to backtrack and open up a previously unexplored area of the map?
KinectKid333
KinectKid333
Posted on 28 August 18 at 14:49, Edited on 28 August 18 at 14:50 by KinectKid333
I can see you've never played this game before, in which case I highly recommend it because it is a very good game. Yes, this happens many times in the game, such as gaining the ability to fly, unlocking new characters, and acquiring keys, all of which allow you to access previously inaccessible areas. The game is also open-world, being able to travel anywhere you previously unlocked if you just want to explore in general. Also, in nearly every area of the game there are also enemies meandering around which you can challenge to a turn-based duel. All of these elements of the game make it part of the metroidvania genre.
Kinect is not dead; change my mind.
ChinDocta
ChinDocta
Posted on 29 August 18 at 12:56
Hey KinectKid333, having played the game I can't recall any powers outside of the flying (which you get ridiculously early so little to no "backtracking" from it). I don't recall new characters joining the party allowing you to access previously locked off area and the keys aren't considered metroidvania elements.

If you could elaborate on any other abilities gained that are used in the open-world movement sections and how adding new party members allowed access to locked areas that would greatly assist our process.
GI Flagging Manager
KinectKid333
KinectKid333
Posted on 29 August 18 at 15:32
ChinDocta said:
Hey KinectKid333, having played the game I can't recall any powers outside of the flying (which you get ridiculously early so little to no "backtracking" from it). I don't recall new characters joining the party allowing you to access previously locked off area and the keys aren't considered metroidvania elements.

If you could elaborate on any other abilities gained that are used in the open-world movement sections and how adding new party members allowed access to locked areas that would greatly assist our process.
Sorry, I must've been mistaken then. I thought for sure this game would qualify as metroidvania. I haven't played it in a couple of years, so I must have just remembered some things incorrectly. Sorry for the trouble.
Kinect is not dead; change my mind.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.