Game Discussion: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Forum

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Multi-Genre Discussion

AuthorMessage
Information Posted on 19 July 16 at 14:49
Please use this thread to discuss this games classification under the new multi-genre system.

Click here to cast your votes.
Information Posted on 07 May 17 at 01:28
IXI FalcoN has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
Add Stealth

This game heavily encourages stealth play. Many of the orc captains and warchiefs will have weaknesses that require a stealth strike to damage or kill instantly. Many side missions require infiltrating a stronghold undetected or killing a certain amount of orcs without being seen. Even when not required, you are rewarded for stealth play with extra XP. Similar to the Assassin's Creed games, you can break line of sight and hide from a mob to re-try with a stealth approach.

If added, please also apply to GOTY and 360 versions.
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 09 May 17 at 13:43
Under present definition (it's under review, hence my notation), I support this. Thanks for pointing out the other iterations, as it's easy for us to overlook them. Recommendation:
Add: Stealth
Eclectic Gamers Podcast: http://eclecticgamers.com
IXI FalcoN
IXI FalcoN
Posted on 09 May 17 at 14:46
I hear on ya Stealth being reviewed. Personally, I don't consider this (or the AC games, or a bunch of others in there) real stealth games, but under current definitions it's what we got.
ClownTastic
ClownTastic
Posted on 05 June 17 at 03:43
The Stealth definition has now been revised and updated. Please go to the genre page found here - Genre Documentation to find more information. Happy to hear new discussion on adding this to Stealth or not based on the changes.
IXI FalcoN
IXI FalcoN
Posted on 06 June 17 at 18:23
Posting it here for quick reference sake:

*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***

I say Shadow of Mordor still meets that definition. Many side missions (and possibly a main mission or 2) will require you to kill enemies while undetected. It's advantageous to play the whole game in a stealthy fashion as you are awarded extra XP per stealth kill, instant kills or damage on captains or warchiefs weak to stealth, and you are much less likely to get ganged up on and killed. Hiding and escape mechanics are present and operate similar to the AC games.
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 12 June 17 at 15:04
For me, the main concern is this line in the current definition:
In the event of combat or a firefight the player is at a distinct disadvantage as you are much weaker than your enemies when fighting face to face.

This depends. You are given robust combat mechanics to allow you to fight against sizable groups of foes. But then again, you can get overwhelmed (at least I did) if the groups were very large. It just depends on the grouping. Likewise, some foes you are weaker than, a lot you are stronger than (at least one-on-one). I think FalcoN's comparison to Assassin's Creed is a good example (sometimes you get into fights you can easily win without stealth, other times you are put in pretty dire circumstances from it).

Given the strength of the other Stealth elements, I am going to continue to support adding this tag here.
ClownTastic
ClownTastic
Posted on 12 June 17 at 15:06, Edited on 12 June 17 at 15:21 by ClownTastic
OK then, that sounds OK to me.
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 12 June 17 at 15:11
Okay then, Stealth has been added. Thanks all for the discussion.
Information Posted on 20 November 17 at 18:16
PlinioPP has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
Does anyone think that Beat 'em Up could also be added as a genre for this game? Since the fighting style is very similar to Batman Arkhan series and even Sleeping Dogs, maybe Shadow of Mordor fits in that definition too. Right... or wrong?
misfit119
misfit119
Posted on 20 November 17 at 21:08
Not really. This is more in line with Assassin's Creed's combat and has a heavy focus towards hack and slash gameplay. This is currently in debate amongst the team due to disagreement on the Game of the Year edition and would be applied to all games in the series if passed.
Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 23 November 17 at 18:26
TrueAchievement said:
PlinioPP has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
Does anyone think that Beat 'em Up could also be added as a genre for this game? Since the fighting style is very similar to Batman Arkhan series and even Sleeping Dogs, maybe Shadow of Mordor fits in that definition too. Right... or wrong?
I do not think so. Beat 'em up games feature unarmed combat or combat using basic items picked up in the environment usually just temporarily. There was no prior preparation. Beat 'em ups started with arcade games. You put your quarter or 100 yen into the arcade game and flailed away. In contrast, in Shadow of Mordor you spend significant effort equipping and preparing the protagonist. You enhance Talion's sword, bow, and dagger throughout the game. You acquire abilities and skills to acquire new abilities and skills. As Misfit says, this is more hack & slash:

misfit119 said:
Not really. This is more in line with Assassin's Creed's combat and has a heavy focus towards hack and slash gameplay. This is currently in debate amongst the team due to disagreement on the Game of the Year edition and would be applied to all games in the series if passed.
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 27 November 17 at 03:39
Agree as well. Having played through this, the whole weakness system of the orcs in and of itself runs counter to the simplicity of beat 'em up. Weapon selection matters in this game, manifesting in types of attacks.

Majority of GT disagrees with the request, and thus it is dismissed. Thank you everyone.
Swinny Costello
Posted on 22 June 19 at 13:41
All the Shadow of Mordor/War titles have been reclassified as Action-RPGs, which they are not. Not sure if there was a bug or error involved here, but can somebody please change these back?
ClownTastic
ClownTastic
Posted on 22 June 19 at 14:09
I agree with Swinny, the games are purely open-world A-As. Yes there are skill trees etc but you eventually max everything out any way. There is no true character development in the form of stats/builds etc. The tiered loot system is pretty bare bones so this shouldn't be considered a factor either.
Za Pantsupati
Za Pantsupati
Posted on 09 August 19 at 12:11
Any movement on getting this series removed from RPG?

Also apparently Far Cry: New Dawn is now in RPG?

What is happening lol
ClownTastic
ClownTastic
Posted on 09 August 19 at 23:06
It seems the borrowing of RPG-themed mechanics such as tiered equipment, enemies having levels etc no mate how bare bones and basic is enough for RPG now.
Swinny Costello
Posted on 10 August 19 at 03:52, Edited on 10 August 19 at 03:52 by Swinny Costello
It's a tricky line with modern games, but I think it's a mix of mechanics, systems and underlying intention. It's why a game like Marvel Puzzle Quest shouldn't be an RPG (IMO) but Puzzle Quest 2 should - the overall "mix" is important.

I haven't played Far Cry: New Dawn, but from what I've played of Mordor - it's just an Action/Adventure/Stealth title that picks a few RPG elements. If we have to get to the point of a complete breakdown for the disagreement, I'll go back to it - but I don't think it's necessary at all.
ClownTastic
ClownTastic
Posted on 10 August 19 at 04:04
From what I understand the genre team unanimously believe that RPG fits the Mordor series so I think you're gonna have to break it down for them.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.