The Bargain Bin

Forum for discussing where to pick up cheap deals

XBL Sale Roundup: July 19th, 2016

• Posted on 20 July 16 at 23:00
    If Microsoft were around in the time of Jesus Christ I'm pretty sure he would be too preoccupied with them rather than the moneylenders. Microsoft are just......wow
  • zzUrbanSpacemanzzUrbanSpaceman1,262,954
    Posted on 21 July 16 at 03:04
    You know it's the publishers who set the prices, not Microsoft, right?
    Zed to Zed achievement podcast! http://zedtozed.com
  • Tatl360Tatl360391,148
    Posted on 21 July 16 at 03:36
    Kanchanaburi said:
    another week when I am tempted to start Destiny, and yet I am saved from increasing my backlog!
    Isn't the Xbox 360 version (nad PS3) being partially shutdown in august?

It seems to be the best (and last) opportunity to 100%.
  • Posted on 21 July 16 at 05:07
    II ESTRANGED II said:
    G O I7ofL 1 V E said:
    Which B4 dlc packs have not been for free yet?
    China Rising is the only dlc with achievements that is yet to go free
    Dang looks like the only one I missed out on was Dragon's Teeth.
    G O DofL 1 V E
    Posted on 21 July 16 at 05:23
    Tatl360 said:
    Kanchanaburi said:
    another week when I am tempted to start Destiny, and yet I am saved from increasing my backlog!
    Isn't the Xbox 360 version (nad PS3) being partially shutdown in august?

It seems to be the best (and last) opportunity to 100%.
    Not shut down (as far as I know), just split. Currently all progress is shared, meaning you can play a bit on one platform and then go and pick up exactly where you left off on another. The latest DLC for Destiny will not be released on the legacy platforms, and progress will be split.

You can migrate from legacy to current gen as a one-off action, but can't go back.

This does mean that time is quickly running out to take advantage of the automatic achievement unlock when going from X1 to 360. Unsure if it automatic achievement unlocks will still work with accounts migrating from 360 to X1.
  • Posted on 21 July 16 at 06:13, Edited on 21 July 16 at 08:51 by PrettyColt21109
    zzUrbanSpaceman said:
    You know Microsoft can easily make it so that more than 2 games out of a library of 6,000,000 games are on sale in any given...sale.

Once you've seen greener pastures it's hard getting used to the barren wasteland filled with radioactive mutant poop that is a Microsoft 'sale'. Prices are actually quite good here, it's the slim pickings as usual that gets to me. Keeps me up at night sometimes (just between you and me)
    Posted on 21 July 16 at 06:39
    Not sure how you do math where you're from, but I count at least 9 titles on sale there, and in any case, Microsoft needs to negotiate with publishers to put titles on sale, and publishers could always say no. Not sure why you're stuck on this idea that Microsoft hold all the keys here.
  • Tanelorn82Tanelorn82475,773
    Posted on 21 July 16 at 20:11
    zzUrbanSpaceman said:
    Not sure how you do math where you're from, but I count at least 9 titles on sale there, and in any case, Microsoft needs to negotiate with publishers to put titles on sale, and publishers could always say no. Not sure why you're stuck on this idea that Microsoft hold all the keys here.
    because it's cool and trendy to hate MS. The same happens regarding Backward Compatible games.
    Welcome to TA, where stats are made up and some achievements do not matter.
  • Posted on 22 July 16 at 03:23, Edited on 22 July 16 at 03:26 by PrettyColt21109
    Yes I'm sorry, I'm just trying to look cool and trendy. I should really learn to not pick on Microsoft, they are doing the best they can I'm sure and I should be more grateful next time.

Sorry guys, I will discipline myself and I promise to attend Microsoft re-education classes and I also promise to learn the difference between 2 and 9, because I obviously can't tell the difference.

Cheers!

*** Spoiler - click to reveal ***
  • KanchanaburiKanchanaburi1,284,987
    Posted on 22 July 16 at 19:11
    Beware of buying destiny - it may look like it is half price when in reality it is NOT. You will have to buy the upcoming DLC in order to play in the near future and they WILL release another edition with that DLC included at full retail.
  • KanchanaburiKanchanaburi1,284,987
    Posted on 22 July 16 at 19:17
    ScrotoBaggins22 said:
    zzUrbanSpaceman said:
    You know Microsoft can easily make it so that more than 2 games out of a library of 6,000,000 games are on sale in any given...sale.

Once you've seen greener pastures it's hard getting used to the barren wasteland filled with radioactive mutant poop that is a Microsoft 'sale'. Prices are actually quite good here, it's the slim pickings as usual that gets to me. Keeps me up at night sometimes (just between you and me)
    Sales are all numbers. By choosing limited things to go on sale, or those items which don't sell well to be put on special, the enhANCE the overall bottom line of an item.

Or there are other stradegies - an upcoming game is being released, or event taking place that will benefit from a sale. They just had a big sale, and now it is time to focus on obscure games and destiny (since the DLC is coming out and they are likely to release another edition).

As well, they cannot put out several games on sale all the time since that will decrease the likelihood of sales. For example, if they put 3 games on sale, the odds of any one game being purchased (simply put) is 33%. But if they add more, the odds go down. People are more likely to purchase 1 game a week, and if there are 2 games someone wants, but only budgeted for 1, they will make a decision which to purchase. But that same person may buy both games if they are seperated by a week.

Math Math Math.

Simply put MS employs a strategy to ensure the highest returns on the money they spend putting on sales.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead678,164
    Posted on 23 July 16 at 00:15, Edited on 23 July 16 at 00:16 by HolyHalfDead
    Kanchanaburi said:
    Simply put MS employs a strategy to ensure the highest returns on the money they spend putting on sales.
    Almost. Microsoft has no control over marketplace pricing. Therefore if someone like TeamNinja want to put DOA5LR on sale, Microsoft cannot stop them. However Major Nelson doesn't have to mention it in his blog, and Microsoft don't have to run an advert on the dashboard for it. If Microsoft Studios put Forza 6 on sale for $1, they can't stop Bandai Namco putting Project Cars down to $1 during the same week.
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
  • HolyHalfDeadHolyHalfDead678,164
    Posted on 26 July 16 at 02:20, Edited on 26 July 16 at 02:30 by HolyHalfDead
    Kanchanaburi said:
    Beware of buying destiny - it may look like it is half price when in reality it is NOT. You will have to buy the upcoming DLC in order to play in the near future and they WILL release another edition with that DLC included at full retail.
    Heed that warning.

The sale on Taken King has ended a day early, and they have now cut the full price of the Expansion Pass + Taken King to $19.99. Now the next time that goes on sale, they can have my money. I've always objected to paying for the Expansion Pass twice, simply so they can be certain people have the required content.

Games with Gold for August
    Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate FREE from 1st August 2016
    WWE 2K16 FREE from 16th August 2016
    Spelunky FREE from 1st August 2016
    Beyond Good & Evil HD FREE from 16th August 2016

Taken from HolyHa1fDead's Blog
    He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.