Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Sunday Conversation: Like That Game? Read This Book!

• AllgorhythmAllgorhythm374,607
    Posted on 24 July 16 at 09:48Permalink
    Thanks--great article.
  • Posted on 24 July 16 at 10:09Permalink
    I definitely have to recommend Ernest Cline's "Ready Player One" to anyone interested in eighties gaming (arcade, home computer, home console) or gaming in general. In a dystopian future, everyone is plugged into a free MMO called the Oasis. When its creator dies, he leaves in his will a quest to solve an easter egg in the game, and the first person to find it gets to take control of the game company/gets billions of dollars. The easter egg is based around eighties culture, and the main character has to use a knowledge of arcade games — as well as classic movies and music — to uncover the easter egg before a sinister corporation does. Think of it as Willy Wonka meets the Matrix meets the Hunger Games.

And seconding The Long Halloween and Dark Victory, they're definitely a great jumping-off point for people who love the Arkham series.
  • SweetArkhaneSweetArkhane674,857
    Posted on 24 July 16 at 10:41Permalink
    Please, read the seven books before starting The Witcher saga.
  • scotwolf2scotwolf21,120,925
    Posted on 24 July 16 at 11:18Permalink
    rockmetro 2033rock
  • Posted on 24 July 16 at 11:22Permalink
    I don't read books, that's why they make movies! laugh
  • Slimshady296Slimshady296427,920
    Posted on 24 July 16 at 11:38Permalink
    SweetArkhane said:
    That's what I was going to say, an article about which books to read if you like which video games and no mention of The Witcher novels? I can't think of any other game series that are based on novels off the top of my head. Anyway, they are fantastic.
  • Posted on 24 July 16 at 12:46Permalink
    HOLY SHIT! Dr. Halsey lost an arm? Oh I was I supposed to have read some book to know how we got from Halo 4 to Halo 5?

All I can say about that is, F@#! any game that requires you to read to get a full understanding of the story.

For real, I am here to be entertained, not to do research!

I get having an expanded universe, even if 99% of it is just for the $$$, but keep your greedy capitalistic practices out of my art form, it's smudging up the paint.

To be quite honest, I was a huge Halo series fan, but I'm on the fence as to whether or not to support the next title in the series because of this BS.
    ,)
  • AllgorhythmAllgorhythm374,607
    Posted on 24 July 16 at 12:50Permalink
    SweetArkhane said:
    There are 8 books by Andrzej Sapkowski though Season of Storms hasn't been translated into English, yet. The World of the Witcher by the game developer, CD Projekt Red, provides very good background and is a great coffee table book.
  • ChewieOnIceChewieOnIce860,979
    Posted on 24 July 16 at 13:14Permalink
    Slimshady296 said:
    I can't think of any other game series that are based on novels off the top of my head.
    scotwolf2 said:
    rockmetro 2033rock
    @ChewieOnIce | NewsHound | 'Please don't kill us.' 'Please don't make it so appealing'
  • Posted on 24 July 16 at 13:17Permalink
    After playing Dragon Age: Inquisition people should read Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Final Empire arc (Final Empire, Well of Ascension, Hero of Ages).
    They're fantastic.
  • Posted on 24 July 16 at 13:20Permalink
    Metro 2033, and 2034 are both incredible books, I recommend them to any fan of the Metro franchise; There's notable differences between the game and books which are rather interesting to compare.
  • XpovosXpovos742,682
    Posted on 24 July 16 at 13:20Permalink
    Awesome article idea.
    Time not important; only life important.
  • a44Speciala44Special558,052
    Posted on 24 July 16 at 13:24Permalink
    The Gears of War Books are defiantly the best ones mentioned here. They truly do the series justice and tie perfectly into Gears universe especially since Karen Traviss wrote the story for Gears of war 3.
    All gave some, some gave all.
  • SweetArkhaneSweetArkhane674,857
    Posted on 24 July 16 at 14:12Permalink
    Allgorhythm said:
    SweetArkhane said:
    There are 8 books by Andrzej Sapkowski though Season of Storms hasn't been translated into English, yet. The World of the Witcher by the game developer, CD Projekt Red, provides very good background and is a great coffee table book.
    Yeah, I know of this one, but since it's not a sequel but only a part of the novels, I think it's not as important as the Witcher Saga (5 books), the novels were good, introducing some characters but not as interesting as the saga (even if Duny and Pavetta play an important role later if you know what I mean).
  • AboveHunterAboveHunter452,443
    Posted on 24 July 16 at 14:13Permalink
    Why is the first two mass effect books not in this article they were godly imo
  • MC0REBEMC0REBE513,473
    Posted on 24 July 16 at 14:20Permalink
    How about RAGE and Assassin's Creed?
  • Posted on 24 July 16 at 14:35Permalink
    HighT3chR3dn3ck said:
    HOLY SHIT! Dr. Halsey lost an arm? Oh I was I supposed to have read some book to know how we got from Halo 4 to Halo 5?

All I can say about that is, F@#! any game that requires you to read to get a full understanding of the story.

For real, I am here to be entertained, not to do research!
    You were supposed to play halo 4 spartan ops, not to read the books to know that.
  • a44Speciala44Special558,052
    Posted on 24 July 16 at 14:37Permalink
    MC0REBE said:
    How about RAGE and Assassin's Creed?
    Assassin's creed was the most terrible series. It really needs to stop making games. Black Flag was the only good one after brotherhood.
    All gave some, some gave all.
  • Devious JediDevious Jedi714,307
    Posted on 24 July 16 at 14:46Permalink
    Gears of war is an awesome read. Karen Travis writes these really well and I love her star wars novels too. Shame she never finished the Republic commando series thanks to G. Lucas being a Dick to her.
    Rapture was ok but not as good as I hoped,enough to keep me to the end though.
    Revelation space can be a difficult but very rewarding read too.
    Unfortunately didn't enjoy metro 2033 half as much as I expected as I loved the games.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.