Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Sunday Conversation: Like That Game? Read This Book!

• AllgorhythmAllgorhythm374,674
    Posted on 24 July 16 at 22:54Permalink
    SweetArkhane said:
    Allgorhythm said:
    Great minds think alike. I was able to get both the Kindle text and audio versions in German so it was great practice.
    Hum okay^^
    I'm a bit confused about the meaning of your answer, maybe you didn't notice I'm french? So it seems normal I read books mostly in my native language^^
    I noticed you were in France but we have a lot of people whose first language is English but speak the language of a non-English speaking country in which they reside. Your English is fluent so I didn't want to make assumptions either way.

I guess, though, unless you speak Polish as well, we both have to read one translation or another. smile
  • SweetArkhaneSweetArkhane674,872
    Posted on 24 July 16 at 22:57Permalink
    Allgorhythm said:
    I noticed you were in France but we have a lot of people whose first language is English but speak the language of a non-English speaking country in which they reside. Your English is fluent so I didn't want to make assumptions either way.

I guess, though, unless you speak Polish as well, we both have to read one translation or another. smile
    Your guess is correct, I do not speak Polish!
  • scotwolf2scotwolf21,120,736
    Posted on 24 July 16 at 23:18Permalink
    LuckyConquerer2 said:
    Like this. Love reading but game novels never appeal to me. Reading War and Peace at the moment by Tolstoy.
    fudging eck...war and peace is a HUGE read in all senses of the word
  • RDSRDS260,095
    Posted on 24 July 16 at 23:29Permalink
    Going further into military sci-fi, both Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead are great reads. The first one also holds some similarities with the early part of the Halo universe, since the Spartan-II training and Battle School training are very alike (total isolation of children from the society they'll have to protect as adults).

Currently reading Eragon in English (I'm Dutch and I've read the series in Dutch,but it's best to read a book in the original author's language if you can). The novels aren't bad unlike the game and are quite enjoyable if you like fantasy.
  • scotwolf2scotwolf21,120,736
    Posted on 24 July 16 at 23:33Permalink
    i'm not a big reader of novels more factual stuff mostly about WW2, American civil/independence and Napoleonic wars.

i did become an avid reader of tom Clancy as i was given a copy of hunt for red October from a book rep when i worked for john menzies. i liked the attention to detail,and the fact it was all possible in real world/life.

i used to like reading asterix, tintin, snoopy. (just need wizard of id and bc game)

I've got some old biggles books i was given as a kid and i loved them. if a game was made from these i think it would need to be made erm pc.

still prefer a proper paper book never read a book on kindle or the likes
  • Posted on 25 July 16 at 01:13Permalink
    Elyoh said:
    HighT3chR3dn3ck said:
    For real? Man, I actually had several people tell me it was because I didn't read the books and was pretty upset about it. I did play Spartan Ops, but remember not paying attention b/c I didn't realize it was part of the story.

There was a lot going on in Halo 5 that I didn't understand, and I guess it is due to my own ignorance, misinformation, but more importantly I would have to say bad game design cause you're literally the first person to tell me that.
    First I heard of it as well, and I did the Spartan Ops too. I've always found Halo to be a bit like that though.
    And that's why you don't skip the cutscenes, lol.
  • mosin360mosin360705,199
    Posted on 25 July 16 at 01:57Permalink
    Now this is the type of article I expect from this site.
    Videos I made of Xbox games on Windows 8.1 - https://www.youtube.com/user/mosindesire
  • ElyohElyoh814,794
    Posted on 25 July 16 at 03:17Permalink
    FightingMegaFoo said:
    I personally wouldn't ever expect there to be important story elements to a series in its arcade mode. Shouldn't the story be in the actual main game?
    No God, know fear. Know God, no fear.
  • matdanmatdan749,918
    Posted on 25 July 16 at 03:33, Edited on 25 July 16 at 03:38 by matdanPermalink
    Elyoh said:
    FightingMegaFoo said:
    I personally wouldn't ever expect there to be important story elements to a series in its arcade mode. Shouldn't the story be in the actual main game?
    Spartan Ops was designed as the story after the main single-player campaign ended. Showing what the UNSC Infinity was doing on Requiem and explains some key elements to the story of Halo 5. Some stuff simply vanishes though because of Halo 5's awful storyline.

Halo: New Blood helps explain the Spartan IV program and what happened to the ODSTs from Halo 3: ODST. Sets up the story for Halo 5 as-well, though still leaves Halo 5 as a bit confusing.

Halo: Ghosts of Onyx explains the characters of Blue Team and the events before them showing up in Halo 4.
  • ElyohElyoh814,794
    Posted on 25 July 16 at 05:48Permalink
    Thanks matdan, I always assumed the Spartan ops stuff was generally irrelevant to the overall story redface
  • ShinnizleShinnizle889,910
    Posted on 25 July 16 at 06:35, Edited on 25 July 16 at 06:37 by ShinnizlePermalink
    Elyoh said:
    I guess it depends on your view on said story elements. In the grand scheme of things (when it comes to Halo), I do not think Halsey losing an arm as being important.

GoinXwell said:
    Going further into military sci-fi, both Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead are great reads.
    Orson Scott Card is a genius. Ender's Game is the best Sci-Fi novel I've read, no contest.
    Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
  • x Mataeus xx Mataeus x1,069,041
    Posted on 25 July 16 at 08:43Permalink
    For anyone enjoying the stellar depths of Elite: Dangerous, Peter F Hamilton's Nights Dawn trilogy is absolutely fucking ridiculously outstanding.

3,600 pages of space opera, with a genre slide into horror, and amazing detail from the furthest planets to the smallest human thought. The trilogy has everything from space trading to Satanic sacrifice, and covers millions of years of history - human or otherwise.

It's brutal, beautiful, sexual, horrific and completely unequivocally brilliant.
    ~~~Vae Victis!~~~
    Posted on 25 July 16 at 08:47Permalink
    Shinnizle said:
    Orson Scott Card is a genius. Ender's Game is the best Sci-Fi novel I've read, no contest.
    Interestingly, we've talked about books based on games. Here Ender's Game, the game, was based on Ender's Game, the book, which in turn was about gaming and real life.
  • ElyohElyoh814,794
    Posted on 25 July 16 at 08:48Permalink
    Allgorhythm said:
    Here Ender's Game, the game, was based on Ender's Game, the book, which in turn was about gaming and real life.
    There's an Ender's Game game?
  • XboxAnimatedXboxAnimated571,044
    Posted on 25 July 16 at 08:55Permalink
    Gears of war books are brilliant, especially the pre E day fiction. Really fills out the characters
  • Stevo6483Stevo6483214,267
    Posted on 25 July 16 at 08:58, Edited on 25 July 16 at 09:03 by Stevo6483Permalink
    HighT3chR3dn3ck said:
    BLOOD BERSEKER said:
    HighT3chR3dn3ck said:
    HOLY SHIT! Dr. Halsey lost an arm? Oh I was I supposed to have read some book to know how we got from Halo 4 to Halo 5?

All I can say about that is, F@#! any game that requires you to read to get a full understanding of the story.

For real, I am here to be entertained, not to do research!
    You were supposed to play halo 4 spartan ops, not to read the books to know that.
    For real? Man, I actually had several people tell me it was because I didn't read the books and was pretty upset about it. I did play Spartan Ops, but remember not paying attention b/c I didn't realize it was part of the story.

There was a lot going on in Halo 5 that I didn't understand, and I guess it is due to my own ignorance, misinformation, but more importantly I would have to say bad game design cause you're literally the first person to tell me that.
    I think your ignorance is the only issue here.

OT - I quite liked the Mass Effect novels, well the first 3 that were written by Drew Karpyshyn (lead writter on ME & ME2). Each one served as a prequel to the main games and were really well written. Unfortunately when Deception came out it all went to shit.
    Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas... Whatever!
    Posted on 25 July 16 at 09:06Permalink
    Elyoh said:
    Allgorhythm said:
    Here Ender's Game, the game, was based on Ender's Game, the book, which in turn was about gaming and real life.
    There's an Ender's Game game?
    Supposedly, there's a PC game in development, Ender's Game: Battle Room. However, it's a long way off and I think development stalled because the studio that was working on it was bought out by someone else.
  • ElyohElyoh814,794
    Posted on 25 July 16 at 09:46Permalink
    I was maybe 15 when I read Ender's Game, and although I don't remember everything about it I do remember thinking it would actually make an awesome game laugh I'll look it up.
    Posted on 25 July 16 at 11:35Permalink
    Elyoh said:
    I was maybe 15 when I read Ender's Game, and although I don't remember everything about it I do remember thinking it would actually make an awesome game laugh I'll look it up.
    It was announced some time ago then the studio that was working on it got bought out and development stalled. Then, there were rumblings after the movie came out that it was back on. Unfortunately, it's not something that you're going to see come out in the coming year. Here's an old blurb about the game:

http://www.ign.com/games/enders-game-battle-room/pc-14231547
  • Posted on 25 July 16 at 11:44Permalink
    a44Special said:
    MC0REBE said:
    How about RAGE and Assassin's Creed?
    Assassin's creed was the most terrible series. It really needs to stop making games. Black Flag was the only good one after brotherhood.
    facepalm
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.