Gaming News Forum

All the latest Xbox and gaming news. Only TA Newshounds can post in this forum.

Carmageddon: Max Damage Review

AuthorMessage
Nexus Grunt
Nexus Grunt
Posted on 25 July 16 at 13:34
Steer well clear of this one

Please click here to read the story: Carmageddon: Max Damage Review
Yummy Baklava
Yummy Baklava
Posted on 25 July 16 at 13:50
The game ticks all of the boxes for a Carmageddon game and fans will no doubt be thrilled,
Too true. =D
I do what I does, I does what I do!
Large Coffee
Large Coffee
Posted on 25 July 16 at 13:51
I keep hearing such back feedback about this game, I was really looking forward too it too. Maybe when it's on sale I suppose.
http://i.imgur.com/hhiPvya.gif
PoppaSmurf110
PoppaSmurf110
Posted on 25 July 16 at 13:56
Shatters my childhood memories cry
Jezza69
Jezza69
Posted on 25 July 16 at 14:04
If you remember it from your childhood like I did, you will be pleased to know it is exactly the same. Cars handle the same, the game behaves the same. It just feels harder, especially trying to waste opponents which can get frustrating.
NawtyCawty
NawtyCawty
Posted on 25 July 16 at 14:07
Spot on review. It is exactly the same as I remember it from back in the day. It was shite then. Still mildly fun though.
HellCreeper666
Posted on 25 July 16 at 14:52
You can't polish a turd... you can only roll it in glitter.
Kerman7
Kerman7
Posted on 25 July 16 at 14:54, Edited on 25 July 16 at 14:57 by Kerman7
Fair review, in that it appears to represent what I remember of the game on the PC.

However where it fails is that Carmageddon was not meant to be a 'driving game', hence the awful driving. So it's not fair to slate it for that.
It was a novelty game and this remake looks to be attempting the same. When I played the mobile port (that was given for free at launch), even my nostalgia didn't help making it feel good. The world has just moved on.

Also, the fine line between catharsis and mind-numbing, probably not what you thought. That part feels poorly written because of that.
But good review overall that I'm glad I've read.
TheGreatKoala
TheGreatKoala
Posted on 25 July 16 at 15:16
The game ticks all of the boxes for a Carmageddon game

In other words, this proves the series is crap...
Ricktron3000
Ricktron3000
Posted on 25 July 16 at 15:29
Review seems to remind me of exactly how the game played back in the day. Handling sucked, speed boosts that would send you in whatever direction you were facing. AI smashing into you and ignoring the fact that they were technically in a race, powerups that helped and powerups that hurt. This isn't a new IP, perhaps someone familiar with the originals would have made more sense as a reviewer. At the same time, not everyone who picks this up will have played the originals so not entirely sure the best route...
PoppaSmurf110
PoppaSmurf110
Posted on 25 July 16 at 15:30
HellCreeper666 said:
laugh
Sniff this unit
Posted on 25 July 16 at 18:05
The reviews on this site are very biased as to how the staff thinks games "should" be made...not to how good of a job developers do it recreating what their goal was. These games always controlled like crap and were just supposed to be a big pile of hitting shit and killing people...games shouldnt really be voted negatively for succedding in their goal...especially if the plan was to recreate something that was supposed to be over the top and stupid...thats why im so glad Kotaku got rid of their score and just write about how the game plays and give almost a big description on what to expect...they keep their opinions out of it entirely. I keep reading the reviews on this site hoping I can believe them but I still cant...maybe one day
b0rb4d3v4sc
b0rb4d3v4sc
Posted on 25 July 16 at 18:51
Amazing review, very honest indeed... but man, am i having some SERIOUS fun with this little game, been a fan of the classics is the greater reason for that.
For those who dont know or did not have the taste for the old ones i can see how this game can be viewed as a ancient and unpolished game but for the others ones give it a go!
pezboyben
pezboyben
Posted on 25 July 16 at 19:52
Nice review, sounds like a game I would spend ten bucks on to kill some time.
Oriole2682
Oriole2682
Posted on 25 July 16 at 21:05
Exactly the same as I remember! I guess its not for those that didn't play the original PC version?
To people that complain about the way a game handles or plays, I don't completely agree.
The games that work are the ones that have a consistent control scheme, and this one does even if it does feel like you are driving on ice the entire time.
Bar6arian
Bar6arian
Posted on 25 July 16 at 21:33
HellCreeper666 said:
This literally made me LOL...a turd in glitter
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” - H.P. Lovecraft
oXidFoX
oXidFoX
Posted on 25 July 16 at 23:49
Power ups are random. And so what? That's by far more fun... And exactly how the very first game worked!
You know you will earn gold, time, or something else. That's not Mario Kart.
FightingMegaFoo
Posted on 26 July 16 at 00:23
I don't thing Doc Brown would approve of that DeLorean.
Figbender
Figbender
Posted on 26 July 16 at 01:23
While i didnt find it that bad, it certainly did not live up the hype i was expecting it to.
The reviewer was more than fair in their assesment of the game.
If only the handling wasnt so damn terrible the game would have been so much better!
Haarberger
Haarberger
Posted on 26 July 16 at 08:57, Edited on 26 July 16 at 08:59 by Haarberger
Somehow the handling doesn't surprise me, it's just made to thrill about killing pedestrians, wreaking havoc and that's it.

But I'm stupid so I'll probably end up buying it anyway, achievements blended with splatting gore! rock
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.