Game Discussion: Grand Theft Auto V Forum

Grand Theft Auto V Multi-Genre Discussion

AuthorMessage
Posted on 28 July 16 at 10:02
Please use this thread to discuss this games classification under the new multi-genre system.

Click here to cast your votes.
Posted on 30 March 17 at 14:06
RedDragonSwords has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
Considering players can switch between a third person and first person perspective at will, I think the First Person Shooter genre does fit along with the Third Person Shooter genre.
III Torpedo III
Posted on 04 April 17 at 13:50
I agree with that.
There is also an achievement for playing the game for 15 hours in first person perspective (A New Perspective - You played GTA V in first person mode for 15 hours. (Secret) ) So you have to play it in FP to get all achievements.
Carpe Noctem
Jackimo1999
Jackimo1999
Posted on 05 April 17 at 01:43
Is it possible to just have the parent "Shooter" tag without specifying third or first person? If so, that would describe this game better than either tag
Sabin VI
Sabin VI
Posted on 23 April 17 at 07:49, Edited on 23 April 17 at 07:50 by Sabin VI
First Person Mode is completely OPTIONAL and the Achievement can be idled if you really don't want to play the Game in First Person View... FPS Should not be added because it's OPTIONAL... that's like saying "Stealth should be added just because you have to be sneaky for certain Gold Medal requirements" like any other Game in the Series GTA V is a 3rd Person Shooter / Sandbox
Jackimo1999
Jackimo1999
Posted on 23 April 17 at 08:07
Sabin VI said:
First Person Mode is completely OPTIONAL and the Achievement can be idled if you really don't want to play the Game in First Person View... FPS Should not be added because it's OPTIONAL... that's like saying "Stealth should be added just because you have to be sneaky for certain Gold Medal requirements" like any other Game in the Series GTA V is a 3rd Person Shooter / Sandbox
The third person aspect is also optional, though
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 30 April 17 at 20:27
While having an achievement relating to FPS isn't a condition to assign a genre, that you can play the entire game in that view is certainly relevant. Both viewpoints are optional. Fallout series is similar in that regard. You may have to switch once at the start, but if you can play virtually the entire game a certain way I think it should be a relevant mechanic that helps people decide if they might like the title.

Recommend:
Add: First Person Shooter
Eclectic Gamers Podcast: http://eclecticgamers.com
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 06 May 17 at 02:25
First Person Shooter is now added as a genre, thanks all.
FEAR EPIDEMIC
FEAR EPIDEMIC
Posted on 07 May 17 at 16:37
Now add it to the Japanese one.
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 09 May 17 at 13:11
I've gone and the Japanese and 360 versions should now match this version's genre assignments.
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 09 May 17 at 17:32
Oops, 360 doesn't have the FPS view, corrected that one. Sorry!
Sabin VI
Sabin VI
Posted on 10 May 17 at 08:08, Edited on 10 May 17 at 08:23 by Sabin VI
while i do think that GTA V plays terrible in FPS Mode i have to admit that you do have a point.. players are able to play the game from start to finish in FPS Mode so it really is Genre Relevant.
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 10 May 17 at 15:34
Yes, we do have the goal of consistently reflecting that in games where both views are an option (like Fallout 3/4).
Jackimo1999
Jackimo1999
Posted on 11 May 17 at 09:14
OLY RKO said:
Looking for people to help with MC club business drop offs and supply runs. Happy to return the favour.
You appear to be lost. You should make a separate thread in the forum for this game. This thread is for discussing the genre designation.
Grand Theft Auto V Forum
Posted on 04 October 17 at 21:01
Jackimo1999 has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
Role-playing should be added. The game sees the player take control of a character a shot they interact with the world. Equipment load outs can be customised to the player’s liking and skills can be leveled up over time. The multiplayer portion also gives the player free choice in how they develop their organisation, property and vehicles.
misfit119
misfit119
Posted on 05 October 17 at 06:22
I'm going to heavily, intensely disagree with adding RPG. Things like organization and property development would fall under management not really RPG. Things like equipment loadouts are actually just as indicative of the first person shooter genre as they are anything RPG related (see: Call of Duty). The only element that could be argued to fit the RPG definition are the skills. However these have been in the series since San Andreas and I've seen their impact as enough of a mechanic to add the RPG genre due to them.

Honestly you'd have an easier time arguing that the games need to have a driving related tag, what with all the time you spend in cars. The RPG elements on the other hand are a thin bit of fluff to add some variety to the game.
Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 06 October 17 at 15:35
There are often overlaps between RPGs and action-adventure games. Generally, we should pick one or the other. The times I would consider adding both is where the games clearly exhibit the stylistic criteria of both games. GTA V is much more an action-adventure game than it is an RPG and I would recommend not adding the RPG tag.

To muddy the waters a little further, GTA V is much more a sandbox game than it is an RPG. If we want to add an additional tag, we should consider the sandbox tag instead. GTA V is a free-roam game featuring where the game progresses not as the result of story triggers but at the player's discretion. Moreover, games in the GTA series have heavily influenced the sandbox genre and have helped to develop the stylistic criteria of the sandbox genre.
misfit119
misfit119
Posted on 07 October 17 at 20:09
I think you're getting confused old man. wink Here the sandbox genre is used for stuff like Minecraft, where you create and build. Open world is used for stuff like this and the Assassin's Creed games where you can free roam and do side stuff. This is another situation with multiple genres using the same titles.
Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
Allgorhythm
Allgorhythm
Posted on 09 October 17 at 01:04, Edited on 09 October 17 at 01:06 by Allgorhythm
misfit119 said:
I think you're getting confused old man. wink Here the sandbox genre is used for stuff like Minecraft, where you create and build. Open world is used for stuff like this and the Assassin's Creed games where you can free roam and do side stuff. This is another situation with multiple genres using the same titles.
The TA definition is quite brief. Generally, sandbox games fall in two categories. First, as you say where you shape the world like minecraft. Second, it is used for video games where the main storyline is deemphasized and non-linear. The player is able to roam freely engaging in a wide variety of activities.

Here's the Techopedia explanation--emphasis mine:

A sandbox is a style of game in which minimal character limitations are placed on the gamer, allowing the gamer to roam and change a virtual world at will. In contrast to a progression-style game, a sandbox game emphasizes roaming and allows a gamer to select tasks. Instead of featuring segmented areas or numbered levels, a sandbox game usually occurs in a “world” to which the gamer has full access from start to finish.

A sandbox game is also known as an open-world or free-roaming game.

Sandbox games can include structured elements – such as mini-games, tasks, submissions and storylines – that may be ignored by gamers. In fact, the sandbox game's nonlinear nature creates storyline challenges for game designers. For this reason, tasks and side missions usually follow a progression, where tasks are unlocked upon successful task completion.

Sandbox game types vary. Massive multiplayer online role-playing games (MMORPG) generally include a mixture of sandbox and progression gaming and heavily depend on emergent interactive user gameplay for retaining non-progression-focused gamers. Modern "beat 'em ups" and first-person shooters have delved more deeply into the sandbox realm with titles like the "Grand Theft Auto" series, "Red Dead Redemption," "Assassin’s Creed" and others, allowing gamers to run and gun wherever the mood takes them.

In spite of their name, various sandbox games continue to impose restrictions at some stages of the game environment. This can be due the game's design limitations, or can be short-run, in-game limitations, such as some locked areas in games that are unlocked once certain milestones are achieved.
Jackimo1999
Jackimo1999
Posted on 09 October 17 at 01:10
Sandbox games allow the player to create, modify, or construct upon the physical aspects of a game world, either using tools or freeform, with no specific objective.
Open World games feature an expansive open world for the player to explore. While there is usually an overarching story, a hallmark of this genre is the ability to put this on hold in favour of exploration and free play. While portions of the world may be closed off, upfront there should be relatively large swaths accessible to the player. In most cases, players can choose between multiple or many optional objectives.
Going by our own, recently updated definitions, GTA very clearly matches the definition of Open World (previously known as sandbox), but not the new sandbox.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.