Game Discussion: Trackmania Turbo Forum

Trackmania Turbo Multi-Genre Discussion

AuthorMessage
Information Posted on 01 August 16 at 19:36
Please use this thread to discuss this games classification under the new multi-genre system.

Click here to cast your votes.
Information Posted on 25 April 17 at 02:41
SpiralGamerpro has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
The game itself is essentially driving through an obstacle course in a realistic racing engine. This is a really weird combination, especially considering there's no jump button, but if something like Jet Car Stunts is considered a Platformer, then "Platformer+Racing Simulation" describes this better than "Arcade Racing".
Lost Legends
Lost Legends
Posted on 25 April 17 at 02:43
platformer + arcade racing sounds correct to me
FEAR EPIDEMIC
FEAR EPIDEMIC
Posted on 25 April 17 at 06:01
I agree. Platforming is definitely what this needs especially when you compare it to Jet Car Stunts.
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 25 April 17 at 07:07, Edited on 25 April 17 at 07:24 by Awoo
Completely wrong and only being suggested specifically to annoy me. This game is a pure racer, and you can refer to my post in the Jet Car Stunts genre discussion to understand the difference between the games. There is absolutely nothing in this game that could count as platforming, and you are always racing in a car, with pretty typical arcade racing controls, to complete straightforward tracks as fast as possible. That is racing.
What can change the nature of a man?
Mystic Typh00n
Posted on 25 April 17 at 07:43
Just straight arcade racing. No need to change imo
How much for the whole kitten kaboodle?
Keith271179
Keith271179
Posted on 05 May 17 at 11:06
I would have to agree just arcade racing.
ClownTastic
ClownTastic
Posted on 06 May 17 at 09:03
I'm gonna say this doesn't need Platformer and I have just responded to the Jet Car Stunts discussion saying the same thing there. This is a straight up racing game and the jumps etc are just part of the racecourse.
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 11 May 17 at 15:28
While Clown and I have disagreed with Jet Car Stunts (where he has leaned against Platformer and I have leaned for Platformer), in this game I'm just not seeing it. I see jumps, but that alone isn't enough. Whereas I feel Jet Car Stunts actually employs platforming mechanics and has modes that are rough specifically because of all the platforming, here I see a game with more jumping than your typical racer but not what I think rises to our definition of Platformer.

As Clown concurs, we're keeping this game tagged as Arcade Racer. Thank you everyone for providing your feedback on this title.
Eclectic Gamers Podcast: http://eclecticgamers.com
SpiralGamerpro
SpiralGamerpro
Posted on 12 May 17 at 03:53
Genre Info said:
Platformers feature obstacle course like levels in which the player must navigate from the start to end, commonly by jumping between platforms or over obstacles. Correct timing is necessary to avoid death and advance.
Again, I really don't see how this game strays from this. Arcade Racing + Platformer is the only way to accurately describe all of the facets of this game. Virtually every track is an obstacle course, and the majority of them require you to platform (in the exact same manner as Jet Car Stunts) to avoid falling off the track and needing to restart.

Just watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5E8RqdF7iU

These are not "just jumps", and anybody that's made it far enough into the game to unlock that track will tell you just how much precision is required in making those jumps, so please give me a solid argument as to how Jet Car Stunts is a platformer but this is not. Merely saying that JCS has "platforming mechanics" is just as valid as saying that Trackmania has platforming mechanics, because both involve just driving a car through an obstacle course and precisely landing jumps.
The people's champion! Well done for an amazing run, and for croaking with dignity. #TeamSporl4lyf - MalibuStacey85
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 12 May 17 at 13:15, Edited on 12 May 17 at 13:16 by Zonrith1
I'm just not seeing it. Not as cleanly as you do. Obstacles aren't atypical for arcade racers of all stripes. In the video you link, I mostly see jumps with some half-pipes. We don't list skateboarding games as Platformer because they offer those. It's still coming down to using the right speed and making proper turns, like what we expect from racing games.

SpiralGamerpro said:
These are not "just jumps", and anybody that's made it far enough into the game to unlock that track will tell you just how much precision is required in making those jumps, so please give me a solid argument as to how Jet Car Stunts is a platformer but this is not.
Jet Car Stunts offers extensive non-track segments. The car can "fly" in the air with a set of wing-things and thrusters. The tracks also tend to be very narrow and going off track generally means "death" (versus having offroad segments that slow you down as in a typical racer). Some examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUpR_bSPPMU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj1QB9KSLbA

It isn't the cleanest in assignment of the genre, either (I can see why Clown has not agreed).

I think both games live in a grey area. For me, JCS crosses the platforming line enough to get the tag, and Trackmania does not. They are not identical games in terms of gameplay, as any review reveals. Some similarities for sure, but I think there is enough difference there. Obviously, you disagree. But, the bottom line is a majority of GT feels it isn't, so the tag is not getting applied, and we're not really reviewing this submission anymore (I don't say that to be mean, but I don't want you to think anyone on GT is actively tracking it as in our internal list it is resolved; I am still watching this thread as I know it was a debated one, but I don't want to give the impression the game is still in review).
SpiralGamerpro
SpiralGamerpro
Posted on 12 May 17 at 21:23
Falling off the track in Trackmania has the same effect as Jet Car Stunts in that it requires you to reset and effectively kills your chances of getting a gold medal. Also, not all of the jumps are half-pipe jumps, as can be seen in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aAk2y7TQtY.

That being said, I believe I understand your argument in that JCS requires throttle control to make the jumps, which is true, as you have a boost and need to apply the right amount of throttle to make a jump properly. Trackmania is similar in that accelerating and braking in midair is necessary in order to precisely land the jump. This doesn't translate well in video, and you really do need to have experience with the game to understand how these jumps work. I do feel like you would see my point more clearly if you end up playing this game.

I disagree with the GT's classification of this game, and while I feel that my experience with this game (well over 200 hours at this point) gives me some degree of credibility, I digress, as it's not my decision.
The people's champion! Well done for an amazing run, and for croaking with dignity. #TeamSporl4lyf - MalibuStacey85
Information Posted on 01 July 17 at 05:06
QuarkSpectrum has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
I know you guys have said you aren't considering any changes to this game, but I strongly believe you missed this one and I'd like to at least lay out a case for why.

Reading through this thread and the Jet Car Stunts thread, it seems people are looking at Trackmania Turbo as a typical arcade racer which also features jumps and obstacles. I can see where people might get that idea by watching gameplay clips, and it's definitely a common perception of the game as is evidenced by this site's official review. And if that were actually the case here, I'd agree that platformer would be inappropriate. However, Trackmania Tubro is a pure obstacle course trial game in the same vein as the Trials series, Action Henk, and Doritos Crash Course. The only real difference between Trackmania and those games is the fact that your avatar is a car and the game is shown from an on-track perspective instead of a side scrolling perspective.

Structurally, Trackmania is identical to those games. It uses the same level grouping and progression design and the same medal system. Typical gameplay is also strikingly similar, with each level requiring the player to learn the layout and master certain skilled techniques to take full advantage of the environmental obstacles. And that's where this game really differs from a typical racer and veers into platforming territory.

Unlike most racers, speed is not necessarily your main goal here. Momentum is. That's a subtle difference, but an important one. Particularly as you start to get into the more advanced levels, the tracks require you to control your momentum and use it in conjunction with the environmental obstacles in order to defeat later, more difficult obstacles. For example, a section might have three cresting hills right in a row, followed by long jump off a ramp. A player without sufficient momentum will get stuck hitting all three crests and not have enough speed to make the long jump. A player with too much momentum will overshoot the crests and land on a flat part of the track, again sapping the momentum needed to make the long jump. What is needed is to find a sweet spot where you just clear the third crest and land on its downward slope, gaining enough momentum to clear the long jump. Doing this isn't just necessary to set a fast time on the level, many levels feature sections which are not passable without finding the correct way to play the obstacles.

This is not typical racer gameplay, but rather the same type of momentum-based platforming that formed the backbone of the Sonic the Hedgehog games, and is ubiquitous in games like the Trials series and Action Henk. Trackmania's drifting mechanic even functions the same way as Action Henk's Butt Slide mechanic and serves the same purpose in setting up the player to clear long strings of obstacles successfully.

These things are not byproducts of an arcade racer that has crazy jumps and obstacles, these are deliberate design choices. The game is supposed to be like Trials with cars instead of dirt bikes, and that's something that I think doesn't come through from just watching gameplay clips. I honestly think that if the game were exactly the same but shown from a side scrolling perspective, there wouldn't be any question about the platforming aspects.

SpiralGamerpro
SpiralGamerpro
Posted on 01 July 17 at 05:50
^This guy gets it
Lost Legends
Lost Legends
Posted on 16 July 17 at 01:19
+1
Quickdontdie
Quickdontdie
Posted on 16 July 17 at 01:29
Exactly. Wow, perfectly said.
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 16 August 17 at 01:45
Sorry for the delay, we have discussed this game but I am waiting on a confirmation from another GT member before I report back with more detail. The submission remains in our queue.
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 16 August 17 at 13:09
Platformer is now added.

Clown and I both reversed our position based on the strength of QuarkSpectrum's submission. For my part, the momentum-platforming argument is what swayed me.

Anyway, change is immediate. Thanks for everyone's patience.
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 16 August 17 at 15:09
What a joke. Go ahead and add every racing game with ramps to the genre then. Please.
Awoo
Awoo
Posted on 16 August 17 at 15:12
Looking at you, Stuntman: Ignition
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.