Game Discussion: Dead Island Definitive Edition Forum

Dead Island Definitive Edition Multi-Genre Discussion

AuthorMessage
Posted on 07 August 16 at 22:02
Please use this thread to discuss this games classification under the new multi-genre system.

Click here to cast your votes.
LV 1 Blue Slime
Posted on 08 August 16 at 21:23
RPG-Dungeon Crawler-WhoDoYouVoodooBitch
"Slutty outfit? You're one to talk." "This isn't slutty, it's strategically placed."
Posted on 12 October 17 at 05:14
NinjaGaidenGUYS has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
Certainly not an FPS by any stretch. The shooting is very limited with a small number of games and ammo, especially when compared to the high volume of melee weapons available throughout the game. Not enough shooting to justify the tag. Refer to the following thread, which deals with the same issue:

Dying Light Multi-Genre Discussion
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 12 October 17 at 16:13
Inclined to agree. Played the original version, and the guns just are not a major gameplay component as I recall, as outlined in the submission argument.
Eclectic Gamers Podcast: http://eclecticgamers.com
Vitiated1
Vitiated1
Posted on 12 October 17 at 19:10
+1, very little shooting involved throughout the game
misfit119
misfit119
Posted on 12 October 17 at 22:11
Going to disagree in the strongest way possible. I'll break down my thoughts to a few bullet points:

* Purna, the cop, is based entirely around guns.
* Her super ability lets her whip out a gun and one shot kill most zombies for a few seconds. This provides access to a gun from the very beginning of the game.
* She, Logan and Sam B, have abilities that make them more adept at shooting and killing enemies.
* As you get further in the game you get many more guns. Pistols, revolvers, rifles, automatic rifles and shotguns.
* You can craft ammo for these guns.
* Guns are often ideal for dealing with tough special zombies, like that charger guy, and very useful for dealing with humans. Headshots are often one shot kills there.

My fiancee played through this whole game using her gun near constantly. I would charge into melee while she started popping heads open. Admittedly you do have to reach the city to start seeing guns drop but that simply requires completing act 1. The rest of the game lets guns be very common and very useful for at least one character to invest heavily in. All of my characters have always carried, and used, at least one gun.
Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
Zonrith1
Zonrith1
Posted on 12 October 17 at 22:24
Interesting, I must have played it very differently (or I don't remember well anymore, my brain is pretty old).

I'll hold to my assessment for now, however. It'll create drama!

We'll see what the other GT members think. wink
Lost Legends
Lost Legends
Posted on 13 October 17 at 12:43, Edited on 13 October 17 at 12:54 by Lost Legends
If you don't even get get a gun until the 2nd act , how you can you really consider it a shooter. I know a lot of people had guns but were through illigetimate means through modding their saves to have weapons which weren't even in the game. Or having someone pass said weapons to them.
LV 1 Blue Slime
Posted on 13 October 17 at 21:21
A lot of people had guns because they're fairly common in act 2 and beyond, and you fight humans multiple times during the story (who usually use guns). It's certainly possible to kill them with melee but it's a lot easier to use a gun. I always ran with a pistol and rifle in my weapon wheel along with melee weapons. Enough to earn the FPS tag? I don't know.
"Slutty outfit? You're one to talk." "This isn't slutty, it's strategically placed."
Vitiated1
Vitiated1
Posted on 13 October 17 at 21:26
In this and Dying Light I always used an electrified sickle and stabbed everyone to death
misfit119
misfit119
Posted on 14 October 17 at 03:42
Lost Legends said:
If you don't even get get a gun until the 2nd act , how you can you really consider it a shooter. I know a lot of people had guns but were through illigetimate means through modding their saves to have weapons which weren't even in the game. Or having someone pass said weapons to them.
Even in the first act Purna can use a gun via her special power. Then you CAN get a gun during the first act. You're just very tight on ammo. However this is part of the game's difficulty. If you had guns in the first act then it would make it very easy but as the game gets harder, they provide you with the tools to succeed. This includes a gun which, as Slime noted, are often found on and best used against the humans. I've also found them to be invaluable against the toughest zombies and the massive hordes that assault you at the end of the game.

But with that said, more the issue is that I don't consider this a pure shooter. Melee is a powerful, overwhelming combat option and I'd always want that represented - that to me is represented in Dungeon Crawler. But you have characters who focus on shooting and you have lots of options for it as you move into what amounts to 70% of the game. To me, that's enough to include the tag in there.
Looking to boost any MP achievements I don't have for any game I own.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.