Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Console Racing Comes Of Age

AuthorMessage
Shadow 00 Fox
537,679
Shadow 00 Fox
Posted on 22 August 16 at 03:14
Oriole2682 said:
Yea of course i've played those...the one thing I hated about MW and Carbon were the cop chases, I could never get away from them no matter what I did. I don't think The Crew can even be talked about in the same sentence as TDU2. I wasn't aware that you could have houses or garages in The Crew, there is no character customization, the events are nowhere near as diverse or fun. Just the casino in TDU2 could be its own standalone game. In conclusion...The Crew is poo compared to TDU2.

EDIT: BTW there was MP in NFS MW but no achievements and they shut the servers down a few years back. I got to lvl 58 online in Carbon and beat an EA Moderator legit (not on my tag) before I owned a 360. Back then I played more for fun than completely for achievements.
Oops, I meant that the Crew doesn't have those features that TDU2 had, the houses, driving the roads for exploration, garages, etc. And yes, there's the character customization as well. IF it did, it would be a very good successor considering the graphics/open-world/smoothness.

I loved NFS MW because the police chases were actually hard! It was a challenge to escape each and every time and if you got spike stripped you could easily be toast unless you could limp to a pursuit breaker. I remember doing all the cop chase challenges and tons of cop chases and loving it all... especially getting Sergeant Cross to chase you when you got your heat level high enough. lol! I mostly escaped, but the challenge always was... could you get just one more heat level, and survive?! And then be screaming at the screen as you're surrounded by 10 police cars and can't ram your way out. The BEST cop chases of all the NFS series.

NFS Carbon I didn't enjoy nearly as much as NFS MW, Carbon just seemed lame somehow.
I actually never got the Casino DLC for TDU2 because I didn't think that made any sense in a car racing game. warning So, can't speak on that part of it, but I can say--previously, when I've been helping people get the club achievements in TDU2, I usually ended up driving around for a while just for fun, and I could see myself driving around in The Crew just for fun on one of the motorbikes.
Chris8875
452,455
Chris8875
Posted on 22 August 16 at 05:36
Really really great piece of writing. Kudos to the author and to TA for publishing.
KGI Klikopedia
Posted on 22 August 16 at 05:49
In real you doesn't feel wind through hair as you wear a helmet.
Twitch & YT: KlikoTV | Twitter: @Klikopedia
IAteA11ThePies
Posted on 22 August 16 at 07:40
BulgyDragonZord said:
Ah that was the other one we we're talking about the other day...

Road Rash

Would love to see Moto Racer 2 as well but looking forward for Moto Racer 4 anyway.
Whoa, back the f**k up.... Moto Racer 4? Moto Racer 2 was amazing! #1 was Damn good too, never really liked #3 but forget why. Just had aloof at YouTube there and not only is MR4 a think, but it'sdue out this year.

It links like when I upgrade most games I'll be getting will be from series which I played in the mid 90's. I forgot if all are on or coming to the One but this includes Moto Racer, Road Rash, Doom, UT, Wipeout, Rollcage, Carmageddon, Colin McRae... I just need Sega to wake up and revive their racing IP's and I'm sorted! :)
I ManuBad iT I
Posted on 22 August 16 at 10:16
BulgyDragonZord said:
We want PGR 5
We want Sega GT - X1
We want Toca Tour Car - X1
Totally agreed for those.
The life is hard, if you are tard is hardest!
HolyHalfDead
439,119
HolyHalfDead
Posted on 22 August 16 at 10:40, Edited on 22 August 16 at 10:44 by HolyHalfDead
Playing Outrun in the arcade when I was a kid is how I got hooked on driving games, and MicroProse Formula One Grand Prix is when it got serious, and I bought a Thrustmaster racing wheel.

Forza Motorsport is my happy middleground between arcade and simulation.
He's not a man. He's the holy Half-Dead who has seen the Underverse and returned with powers you can't imagine.
S P 4 C E Y
258,111
S P 4 C E Y
Posted on 22 August 16 at 12:37
Great article.

I for one have loved some of the new simulation racing games. Dirt Rally has been magnificent and horrendous in one.

With the previous titles, I've set the difficulty to low and then raced through it easily. This time around I don't have that choice, and to be honest, I've very much enjoyed improving how I race. Winning the Masters title in Rally Cross was quite some experience, and winning a hillclimb event genuinely felt like an achievement.

I very much agree with the point about difficulty - restarting time and time again can be monotonous and somewhat unrewarding, especially when you feel like you've nailed a rally stage and still finish a few seconds behind the AI race leader, on the lowest difficulty...
Category 3D SFA Referee - PSIA Freestyle Ski Coach with M.A in Politics. Random huh?
Beanpotter
880,661
Beanpotter
Posted on 22 August 16 at 16:26
For more realism, it looks like it'll cost more and more money (looking at that Red Bull chair, wheel & pedals!) I'd rather spend my money on the real thing. I've stayed in Nurburg twice now, for a few days, and taken my car for approx. 30 laps around the Ring. Cost me about £600 all in (driving 450 miles from the UK, Hotel, food etc) and it is one of the best things I've ever done and would love to go back. Not an option for many though, I know.

I just can't justify spending hundreds on peripherals for a game even though I get a lot of enjoyment from them. Some of my favourites would be: -

Pole Position II (Arcade)
Super Hang On (Arcade)
Super Sprint (Arcade)
Mario Kart (SNES)
Wipeout (I actually won a hot lap competition for a PS1 on this bad boy!)
Gran Turismo (PS1)
Wipeout 2097 (PS1)
Daytona (Arcade)

- Big gap here where I played lots but nothing reached those earlier heights -

Forza Horizon 1 + 2 (Can't wait for 3!)

Before I went to the Ring for the first time, we (there were a group of us) spent hours playing Gran Turismo on the PS1, to try and learn all the corners, and although it definitely helped, the biggest thing that we were all so very unprepared for were the undulations and feel of the track. You'll never get that sitting at home with a controller or even the most expensive peripheral so there has to be a limit for each of us to set between fun and reality.

I still love my racing games but the ones with the most fond memories are always the ones that were the most fun.
Mame Tobikomi!
Allgorhythm
254,035
Allgorhythm
Posted on 22 August 16 at 22:34
Beanpotter said:
I still love my racing games but the ones with the most fond memories are always the ones that were the most fun.
Absolutely. I remember Turbo, a 1981 arcade game that could be played on stand up and sit down cabinets. It was great because the scenery changed as you drove. The following year, it was bundled with the ColecoVision steering wheel peripheral. Considering the console technology of the time, both the steering wheel and the arcade port were great and the game play was addictively fun.
Drummin003
128,594
Drummin003
Posted on 22 August 16 at 22:35
Allgorhythm said:
Thank you for a very good article. Certainly agree that console racing has advanced phenomenally and that players have the interfaces to make it seem as realistic as possible. I think the next step is to come up with a console version of iRacing. I realize there are a lot of impediments to overcome. However, if and when iRacing comes to the X1, that is when Console Racing will truly Come Of Age.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that immediately thought of iRacing being the game/simulation that marks the coming of age of racing on consoles. There is nothing out on the market right now that can match what iRacing does when it comes to the detail of the tracks, and all the ways you can adjust small things on a car to change how it performs on track.
Looking for a partner for Battleblock Theater Insane co-op.
Allgorhythm
254,035
Allgorhythm
Posted on 22 August 16 at 23:46
Drummin003 said:
Allgorhythm said:
Thank you for a very good article. Certainly agree that console racing has advanced phenomenally and that players have the interfaces to make it seem as realistic as possible. I think the next step is to come up with a console version of iRacing. I realize there are a lot of impediments to overcome. However, if and when iRacing comes to the X1, that is when Console Racing will truly Come Of Age.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that immediately thought of iRacing being the game/simulation that marks the coming of age of racing on consoles. There is nothing out on the market right now that can match what iRacing does when it comes to the detail of the tracks, and all the ways you can adjust small things on a car to change how it performs on track.
Thanks. Many aficionados of iRacing believe that iRacing can never come to consoles. There are a number of issues that would have to be addressed--how to implement the browser based game on a console, the business model, licensing issues, add-on products or plug-ins, etc. Nevertheless, I don't feel these are insurmountable. At any rate, I would expect that an article entitled Console Racing Comes Of Age would at least make mention of iRacing.
zoidberg1339
362,908
zoidberg1339
Posted on 23 August 16 at 02:04
Great read toast
TheGreatKoala
208,225
TheGreatKoala
Posted on 23 August 16 at 13:26
Allgorhythm said:
At any rate, I would expect that an article entitled Console Racing Comes Of Age would at least make mention of iRacing.
Why would it when it's about CONSOLE racing games?

Seriously, this article really has brought out the worst of the comments section and is the final straw.
Shinnizle
704,758
Shinnizle
Posted on 23 August 16 at 14:43
TheGreatKoala said:
Seriously, this article really has brought out the worst of the comments section and is the final straw.
If you think this is the worst, you clearly haven't read most comment sections.

At least this section is civil. something that can't be said about other sections on the site laugh
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
Allgorhythm
254,035
Allgorhythm
Posted on 23 August 16 at 15:35
TheGreatKoala said:
Allgorhythm said:
At any rate, I would expect that an article entitled Console Racing Comes Of Age would at least make mention of iRacing.
Why would it when it's about CONSOLE racing games?

Seriously, this article really has brought out the worst of the comments section and is the final straw.
If you'd read the comments more carefully, you would have seen that iRacing was discussed in the context of console gaming. The discussion point is, "Without iRacing, can it be said that console racing comes of age?"

Seriously, this article really has brought out the most inattentive readers and is the final straw smile
Shadow 00 Fox
537,679
Shadow 00 Fox
Posted on 23 August 16 at 17:26, Edited on 23 August 16 at 17:26 by Shadow 00 Fox
ROTFL.

I had my conversation back a page or so, and now the comments are what keeps me returning...
Manb3arSquirrel
Posted on 23 August 16 at 22:54
Today I learned in other parts of the world the rubber surrounding a vehicle's wheels is also spelled 'tyre'.
Hurball
418,209
Hurball
Posted on 24 August 16 at 15:53
I have to disagree with the OP in that I really don't think Forza has handled making itself accessible well. The unlimited, no-consequence, instant rewind button makes every game a complete joke. Do anything wrong anywhere and you can have another go, no questions asked.

There are those who say "just don't use it then", but if that button is available by default its going to get used.

Finally, what's the "more accessible" racing game series - Mario Kart or Forza? Proof that the rewind button is an unnecessary joke, reducing the whole Forza series to mundane grinding and DLC-buying.
BulgyDragonZord
Posted on 24 August 16 at 19:08
I should really try recording some game clips of some racing games with some of the VGM Music used in some other games to bring back the nostilgia. Think I've got some soundtracks and I fit around if the XBox One can take it. Defo do this when Moto Racer 4 comes out as I'll stick some Moto Racer 2 music tracks on it.
Lucky Brian
256,368
Lucky Brian
Posted on 24 August 16 at 19:12
Hurball said:
I have to disagree with the OP in that I really don't think Forza has handled making itself accessible well. The unlimited, no-consequence, instant rewind button makes every game a complete joke. Do anything wrong anywhere and you can have another go, no questions asked.

There are those who say "just don't use it then", but if that button is available by default its going to get used.

Finally, what's the "more accessible" racing game series - Mario Kart or Forza? Proof that the rewind button is an unnecessary joke, reducing the whole Forza series to mundane grinding and DLC-buying.
Some people need it, so they use it. Some people do not (want to) need it, so they do not use it. Also, you get a credit bonus if you turn off rewinds. I really do not see the problem.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.