Editorials and Features Forum

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

Console Racing Comes Of Age

AuthorMessage
S P 4 C E Y
258,108
S P 4 C E Y
Posted on 25 August 16 at 10:25, Edited on 25 August 16 at 10:26 by S P 4 C E Y
Manb3arSquirrel said:
Today I learned in other parts of the world the rubber surrounding a vehicle's wheels is also spelled 'tyre'.
The Oxford English Dictionary suggests that the word derives from attire, while other sources suggest a connection with the verb to tie. The spelling tyre is used in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand after being revived in the 19th century. Both tyre and tire were used in the 15th and 16th centuries. The United States did not adopt the revival of tyre, and tire is the only spelling currently used there and in Canada.

Source: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tyre

There are a lot of words that North Americans use that differentiate slightly from the original words from British English.
Category 3D SFA Referee - PSIA Freestyle Ski Coach with M.A in Politics. Random huh?
The Mascal
1,272,350
The Mascal
Posted on 26 August 16 at 17:31
Excellent article. As an avid racing game fan, the past 5-6 years have been great due to the amount of quality releases.

Of course we could with a new PGR (PGR 5, anyone? Pretty please...) but the previous and current generation are very well stocked up.
Beer.
Lord Tothe
24,438
Lord Tothe
Posted on 26 August 16 at 17:56
Simulation: Win.

Arcade: Win.

Simcade: Fail.

[/thread]
Shinnizle
705,414
Shinnizle
Posted on 26 August 16 at 18:02
The Mascal said:
Excellent article. As an avid racing game fan, the past 5-6 years have been great due to the amount of quality releases.

Of course we could with a new PGR (PGR 5, anyone? Pretty please...) but the previous and current generation are very well stocked up.
I always loved PGR, so a new entry would be very much welcome on my end smile
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
Oriole2682
1,906,847
Oriole2682
Posted on 26 August 16 at 18:22
That studio bit the bullet after Blur so there will not be any more PGR's cry
Cubivore
282,573
Cubivore
Posted on 26 August 16 at 18:26
Allgorhythm said:
Cubivore said:
This is one of the most nonensical and baffling things I've ever read in my 23 years on the internet.
?
Mario Kart 64 and Wipeout do not play or look anything like each other and the tracks are completely different. Saying Mario Kart 64 looks or plays anything like Wipeout is an insult to both games, neither of which are even attempting to do the same thing as one another at all.
Shinnizle
705,414
Shinnizle
Posted on 26 August 16 at 19:18
Oriole2682 said:
That studio bit the bullet after Blur so there will not be any more PGR's cry
If I am not mistaken, the franchise belongs to Microsoft, so a new game could be possible at some point, but it probably wouldn't be the same without Bizarre Creations at the helm.
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
halohogg
87,107
halohogg
Posted on 30 August 16 at 13:14
I'm happy with the present Forza (sim), Forza Horizon (arcade-ish), and Dirt (Rally) cycle of game deliveries. All I ask is that more tracks and environments be delivered with each installment. 'm so done with Silverstone and Atlanta. Maybe bring back Blue Mountain or Sidewinder Proving Grounds!
kh
Ereaser NL
318,587
Ereaser NL
Posted on 31 August 16 at 09:19
halohogg said:
I'm happy with the present Forza (sim), Forza Horizon (arcade-ish), and Dirt (Rally) cycle of game deliveries. All I ask is that more tracks and environments be delivered with each installment. 'm so done with Silverstone and Atlanta. Maybe bring back Blue Mountain or Sidewinder Proving Grounds!
Forza sim?
Shinnizle
705,414
Shinnizle
Posted on 31 August 16 at 14:05
Ereaser NL said:
halohogg said:
I'm happy with the present Forza (sim), Forza Horizon (arcade-ish), and Dirt (Rally) cycle of game deliveries. All I ask is that more tracks and environments be delivered with each installment. 'm so done with Silverstone and Atlanta. Maybe bring back Blue Mountain or Sidewinder Proving Grounds!
Forza sim?
He means the normal Forza releases are simulators.
Broke is a state of wallet. Poverty is a state of mind.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.