Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

The Final Station Review

• Posted on 03 September 16 at 16:09Permalink
    Will you make it to the next stop?

Please click here to read the story: The Final Station Review
  • Posted on 03 September 16 at 16:30Permalink
    Nice review, thanks.

As for the game's graphics, looks like we've sent back to the past like 20 years and that in an era where everything heads towards HD.

Can be played on a IBM compatible XT, heck even on a C64!

Sure, the developers Did Their Best, but I'll pass.
  • EinhanderEinhander332,423
    Posted on 03 September 16 at 17:40Permalink
    Thanks so much
  • Posted on 03 September 16 at 20:49Permalink
    I am still thinking of buying it...the Steam scores seems to be good, but I am concerned about the repetitive gamplay.
  • Posted on 04 September 16 at 05:19Permalink
    It is challenging and not all together terrible game play. I just can't tell you how many times omitting the d-pad from mirroring the left thumb stick controls has messed up my game. Seriously, my normal impulse is to use the d-pad for selecting items in the menu. This has resulted in at least a half a dozen reloads and even one complete game deletion requiring me to start from the beginning.

The color scheme they used for the menu systems also does not help. It is quite difficult to see the difference between a selected and non-selected item in the menus and train controls.

I would give it closer to a 3. But this was a great review.
  • gorehound34gorehound34418,975
    Posted on 04 September 16 at 10:38Permalink
    I agree, definitely needed a tutorial of some sort or at least a quick run through of what is what. Wasn't even aware of what i was buying or what was going on at times but learned after a while and got through it. Was a fun little game though and would highly recommend it!
  • Darklord1899Darklord1899347,214
    Posted on 04 September 16 at 11:21Permalink
    The look of the game is so dated. I always wonder why developers put out retro games at such a high price point. £8 max.
    I have played enough 2 d games and it would have to be something really special to tempt me to part with any more money for one.

Though I have to say it is a great review. Thanks very much. If it ever comes on gwg I would download it and play it.
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 04 September 16 at 15:25Permalink
    I was looking forward to this but £12. Loads of these games keep coming that I'd buy but I feel the pricing is off. And not knowing what I'm buying in game could frustrate. I think this will be a sale purchase
  • RhinneRhinne757,025
    Posted on 04 September 16 at 16:59Permalink
    I'm enjoying the game so far, but the lingering mouse pointer in the bottom-left corner really bugs me.

I know this is a PC port, but that's just lazy.
  • Ex GHOSTfaceEx GHOSTface1,886,142
    Posted on 04 September 16 at 23:12Permalink
    This game is quite simple. There's really no need for instructions. Through trial and error you can understand everything there is to know within 10 minutes. It's not fun when your given the answers to everything from the start.

I think that overall this game is very very fun and creative. It's not your average survival game. There are a few minor bugs like the pointer by the corner of the screen... Though no bugs that directly messed up your game or anything.
    Ex GHOSTface
  • WickedDeathWickedDeath462,491
    Posted on 05 September 16 at 00:52Permalink
    yeah we don't have enough of these bad graphic cheap turds on this NEXT GEN console. I am starting to wonder why we even went to xbox one cause all of these games could have ran on the 360 with memory to spare. I'll pass....I'm still waiting for that next gen big game that really delivers.
  • Posted on 05 September 16 at 04:43Permalink
    A minimalist approach to graphics / art design can work really well (Limbo), but this just looks ugly. It reminds me of those crappy flash games you'd play at school during computer class.

However, the concept seems pretty cool and I would consider playing it still.

Good review
  • Posted on 05 September 16 at 13:39Permalink
    I'll wait for a sale before I play. Good review though.
  • SiguardiusSiguardius819,971
    Posted on 05 September 16 at 16:39Permalink
    Born Knight 74 said:
    I am still thinking of buying it...the Steam scores seems to be good, but I am concerned about the repetitive gamplay.
    There's none. You play, you complete, you delete. Playing twice would be masochistic, because this game doesn't have enough content for even one playthrough.
  • GRAND NOBLEGRAND NOBLE297,087
    Posted on 12 November 17 at 23:35, Edited on 12 November 17 at 23:36 by GRAND NOBLEPermalink
    Trikke den 1e said:
    As for the game's graphics, looks like we've sent back to the past like 20 years [...] the developers Did Their Best, but I'll pass.
    Actually the gfx are great and fun, it works perfect for this game. Born Knight 74 said:
    After just beating the game, it's not repetitive at all. I did 2/3rds of them game and realized I messed up an achv, so I restarted from the beginning. Even doing that, it wasn't too repetitive. The levels are short, FUN and engaging, the "train" rides are different every time, and very short so it's not bad. If the achvs made me play the whole game 3 times to 100% i think by the end I'd be annoyed, but it's perfect... I 100% the game before it's even over! And I still wanted to play to the END. This is a GOOD GAME imo.Rhinne said:
    I'm enjoying the game so far, but the lingering mouse pointer in the bottom-left corner really bugs me. I know this is a PC port, but that's just lazy.
    I guess they fixed this by 2017. I had no mouse pointer at all.ScrotoBaggins22 said:
    A minimalist approach to graphics / art design can work really well (Limbo), but this just looks ugly. It reminds me of those crappy flash games you'd play at school during computer class.
    Agreed LIMBO is a great game. And I also thought the GFX looked ugly... but I played it anyways, and the gfx work SO WELL in this game. It's actually perfect.

The only problems i had with this game were the color schemes of the menus (sometimes hard to know what TF you're clicking)... and the SMALL ASS TEXT. I have a 40" TV and don't sit 'too far' from it, but had to squint a lot of times to read the notes (ie. Lore)... which sometimes led me to just skipping them... same with the convos, the text was so small so hard to read.

Other than that, literally, I loved this game! I would love a part 2!

I also got this game for FREE, so I don't have the $12 gripes everyone above has. It's definitely worth $5-$8 imo. GREAT GAME!
    Leap Frog 2017 - 4x 6.4+ Ratio!! (Croaked on Day 29) -- www.instagram.com/grandnoble
  • GRAND NOBLEGRAND NOBLE297,087
    Posted on 13 November 17 at 01:19Permalink
    Great review. I'm giving this game a 4.

Same as Schrödinger's Cat and the Raiders of the Lost Quark.
    Just below the 4.5 I gave OXENFREE.
    Leap Frog 2017 - 4x 6.4+ Ratio!! (Croaked on Day 29) -- www.instagram.com/grandnoble
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.