Editorials and Features

Forum for Editorials and other News Features

A Video Game Renaissance

• EurydaceEurydace652,951
  • Posted on 03 September 16 at 17:01
    It's a bit tough to tell whether your historical "facts" are intended to be taken in jest or not. They're certainly riddled with errors. For example, contrary to your claim, sophomores are most definitely not named after Sophocles. The word sophomore is a variant of sophister, which derives from sophist, which refers to a class of professional teachers in Ancient Greece. (The folk etymology that it's a portmanteau of sophos and moros (wise and foolish) is almost definitely false.)
  • PARAcainPARAcain507,140
    Posted on 03 September 16 at 17:02
    Wow, amazing article. Well written and really made me think. Do you really think the console generation will die though? Or maybe just advance into something better to keep up with the times.
    ~ King Para
  • Posted on 03 September 16 at 17:28
    Burger Beard said:
    It's a bit tough to tell whether your historical "facts" are intended to be taken in jest or not. They're certainly riddled with errors. For example, contrary to your claim, sophomores are most definitely not named after Sophocles. The word sophomore is a variant of sophister, which derives from sophist, which refers to a class of professional teachers in Ancient Greece. (The folk etymology that it's a portmanteau of sophos and moros (wise and foolish) is almost definitely false.)
    Agreed. With due respect, I see what was written in the article as the author's personal grasp of History rather than something coming straight out of the books.

Also, this last generation is hardly some sort of renaissance. Xbox 360 and PS3's generation had a lot of great AAA titles, but in the current one they're simply re-releasing all those games or making them BC. Even more, it feels that nowadays almost any game (even crappy ones) is getting a fancy title such as "Definitive Edition", "Ultimate collection edition" or even "Game of the year edition", which is ridicule.
    To do or not to do. THAT is the question.
    Posted on 03 September 16 at 17:29
    Burger Beard said:
    I know that. It was indeed a joke.
  • EinhanderEinhander236,230 236,230 GamerScore
    Posted on 03 September 16 at 17:41
    sleep
  • CompanyOfWolvesCompanyOfWolves1,522,689
    Posted on 03 September 16 at 18:04
    I'm going to start putting a penny in a jar every time I read an article that predicts the end of console gaming.
    Posted on 03 September 16 at 18:29
    CompanyOfWolves said:
    I'm going to start putting a penny in a jar every time I read an article that predicts the end of console gaming.
    Why do you disagree!? smile
  • Posted on 03 September 16 at 18:30
    I hope that F2P and episodic games won't be the thing that prospers - not for too many deveopers at least. While I enjoy a very few F2P games for a very short period, they only exists because of developers letting the gamers play it on an early stage and continually working on the same game for years.

As a player, it is not for me. Too many ingame purchases that I think is a trap for many to spend way too much money on.

Episodic games are amazing, but there needs to be a set rule set. Making episodes 1 out of five and not release the next for 3 months or more is not ideal. While customers buying the first episode does put money to the developer so they can continue is a good thing in its own way, but not for the customers.
    - which is why I never buy/play episodic games until all episodes are out. Still waiting for Minecraft Story Mode laugh
    gamingirl on hiatus, new project underway - can't wait to try and raise the numbers again!
    Posted on 03 September 16 at 18:33
    F2P I think will eventually change. Episodic though? That's going to get much worse. It works. It makes financial sense and actually makes more money in the long run of the product is good. I think episodic gaming is good for us. Stuff like the new Hitman.
  • Posted on 03 September 16 at 18:39
    Eurydace said:
    F2P I think will eventually change. Episodic though? That's going to get much worse. It works. It makes financial sense and actually makes more money in the long run of the product is good. I think episodic gaming is good for us. Stuff like the new Hitman.
    The primary problem is that there is way too many developers making games.
    gamingirl on hiatus, new project underway - can't wait to try and raise the numbers again!
  • CompanyOfWolvesCompanyOfWolves1,522,689
    Posted on 03 September 16 at 19:14
    Eurydace said:
    CompanyOfWolves said:
    Because it get’s said about every generation and every time I see it written or hear it said it makes me think of those guys wearing a cardboard “the end is nigh” sign. It might happen, sure, but for far more complex reasons.

Your article was a fun read, but there are omission made to make your analogy work. That’s fine, it’s opinion based and not fact and I read it as more a humorous comparison rather than cold hard fact. You could have worked the Cold War in there, given how much sneaking around and propaganda is employed in game marketing these days.

Clearly you didn’t do your homework though as gaming is clearly following the path of the Star Wars franchise.

The Original Trilogy: We had A New Hope in the NES era, it was crude and the graphics don’t hold up too well but damn it we love it for being there and bringing us into the magic. Then The Empire Strikes back with the SNES/GENESIS era and it was like everything we loved about the first one had been perfected. The Return of the Jedi brought us the N64 and the Playstation and we all ended that generation looking hopefully to the future with the ghosts of the past along side us.

The Prequel Trilogy: We all went into this one with so much hope and such high expectations. The PS2 and Dreamcast had so much promise but ended up being a Phantom Menace, surviving more so on past success and brand name than actual quality. Things got worse and The Attack of the Clones continued with the birth of the PS3, over-hyped, over-budget and underperforming.. All was not lost though, The Xbox and the 360 allowed The Revenge of the Sith, while not as good as the classics there were glimmers of magic in there…

The New Stuff: Now we have a generation trying to define itself on its own while still remastering its own legacy. It’s more crowded, seems like there’s always more new games and genres making it to consoles every month, a Force certainly has Awakened though with VR and AR and all the questions they raise it remains to be seen if it’s a bright future or a Rogue One…
  • Unpredictable DUnpredictable D1,134,843
    Posted on 03 September 16 at 20:09
    history always repeats itself, especially bad history, especially if one is too dumb or too ill willed to learn from past mistakes
    Audiosurf for xbox....please !
  • Posted on 03 September 16 at 21:16
    CompanyOfWolves said:
    Eurydace said:
    CompanyOfWolves said:
    Because it get’s said about every generation and every time I see it written or hear it said it makes me think of those guys wearing a cardboard “the end is nigh” sign. It might happen, sure, but for far more complex reasons.

Your article was a fun read, but there are omission made to make your analogy work. That’s fine, it’s opinion based and not fact and I read it as more a humorous comparison rather than cold hard fact. You could have worked the Cold War in there, given how much sneaking around and propaganda is employed in game marketing these days.

Clearly you didn’t do your homework though as gaming is clearly following the path of the Star Wars franchise.

The Original Trilogy: We had A New Hope in the NES era, it was crude and the graphics don’t hold up too well but damn it we love it for being there and bringing us into the magic. Then The Empire Strikes back with the SNES/GENESIS era and it was like everything we loved about the first one had been perfected. The Return of the Jedi brought us the N64 and the Playstation and we all ended that generation looking hopefully to the future with the ghosts of the past along side us.

The Prequel Trilogy: We all went into this one with so much hope and such high expectations. The PS2 and Dreamcast had so much promise but ended up being a Phantom Menace, surviving more so on past success and brand name than actual quality. Things got worse and The Attack of the Clones continued with the birth of the PS3, over-hyped, over-budget and underperforming.. All was not lost though, The Xbox and the 360 allowed The Revenge of the Sith, while not as good as the classics there were glimmers of magic in there…

The New Stuff: Now we have a generation trying to define itself on its own while still remastering its own legacy. It’s more crowded, seems like there’s always more new games and genres making it to consoles every month, a Force certainly has Awakened though with VR and AR and all the questions they raise it remains to be seen if it’s a bright future or a Rogue One…
    Excellent post and point of view. +1
  • NawtyCawtyNawtyCawty959,111
    Posted on 03 September 16 at 23:56
    I don't know how you can say there is s Renaissance in gaming ideas since every other game that comes out is either yet another sequel or some remaster/rehash of an old game best forgotten.
  • Posted on 04 September 16 at 02:19
    The problem with the Renaissance analogy is that artists and sculptors looked to the past to get the best looking art from the past. Most retro looking games coming out today are reviving the shittiest graphics and gameplay from the past.
  • Posted on 04 September 16 at 03:04
    FightingMegaFoo said:
    The problem with the Renaissance analogy is that artists and sculptors looked to the past to get the best looking art from the past. Most retro looking games coming out today are reviving the shittiest graphics and gameplay from the past.
    Yeah I'm really sick of indie games just using older graphics. Like some are good, of course, but why do sooo many of them need to use the style like Fez/Shovel Knight/etc.
  • Posted on 04 September 16 at 03:28
    What was wrong with the PS3/360 generation? It was one of the best imo. So many memorable games, not to mention the expansion of online multiplayer for consoles, the creation of indie systems like XBLA, the rise of Steam, etc.
  • Sketchy77Sketchy77579,300
    Posted on 04 September 16 at 03:40
    Cemetery Girls said:
    What was wrong with the PS3/360 generation? It was one of the best imo. So many memorable games, not to mention the expansion of online multiplayer for consoles, the creation of indie systems like XBLA, the rise of Steam, etc.
    I've been playing games since the NES era and in my opinion the PS3/360 era was the best.

PS2/Xbox era had some of my favourite games of all time, but the PS3/360 had a much larger array of fantastic games.

So far this gen has been extremely underwhelming, but I hope that will change.
    Achievement Unlocked ~ Read My Signature 0G
  • EmivaderEmivader692,364
    Posted on 04 September 16 at 04:23
    I want a Brute Force revival so bad cry
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads