Game Discussion: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night Forum

Missing content??? and JP question.

AuthorMessage
Phoenix C64
Phoenix C64
Posted on 11 September 16 at 14:38
hi. So I hit this game ages ago and completed it for the Nth time.

This weekend a friend came over and we played it on the XB1

We get to the inverted castle and then it hits us:
Where the EFF is the CG video that showed the inverted castle appearing???

Quick googling didn't show much. Wiki doesn't talk about this, just a few people On reddit and gamefaqs seem to have noticed.

Anyone knows why this might be?
Anything else missing?

And another question:
Any way to get the JP digital version? Is it backwards compatible? Can I own both?
New Paralyzer
New Paralyzer
Posted on 11 September 16 at 19:28, Edited on 11 September 16 at 19:34 by New Paralyzer
I could have sworn the wiki does talk about this....

Anyways, the FMVs (Full Motion Video) have been removed from the XBLA arcade version of the game.

Believe it or not back when the game launched Castlevania was too big to be an arcade game (over the years Microsoft has increased the size allowed for an arcade game. If you dig through really old TA news you can see it expand over the years, I believe 1 example is the Lara Croft game on XBLA was one of the few games that caused Microsoft to increase the limit. I'm drawing a blank on other games that increased limit but there has been multiple instances). So in order to save space the FMVs were removed from the game.

The game should open with an FMV and when you make it to the inverted Castle you should also see an FMV. These are completely removed.

Another thing missing is the song in the end credits. This was actually patched out with a title update. If you remove the update you can hear the original song.

The Japanese version despite what TA says (I'm actually trying to get them to fix it too) is NOT BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE. From the looks of it I think you can actually download the English version on the Japanese Marketplace so I'm not exactly sure why but I don't think the Japanese version will ever come. I think they just did the one version of it and called it a day for some reason.

If you have an Xbox 360 and would like to own the Japanese version I would be more than happy to assist you.

Funny enough the Japanese version STILL has the FMVs in the game. I assume Xbox Japan didn't have the rule of too big to be an arcade game or maybe Xbox Japan just didn't care or something.

Japan has never followed the rules that Microsoft has had for games over the years.

A game called Instant Brain had 1500G on a retail game which breaks the rule that all games must be 1K and cannot be higher except with DLC. This rule isn't really a thing still but at the time it was something unseen before.

Despite what people think the first console game (As Dawn of War PC was waaaaaay first) to have 2000G was NOT Gears of War 3. It was actually Monster Hunter Frontier which is a Japanese MMO for 360

So there is a few times where Japan just did stuff that couldn't be done in the US or UK. Castlevania oddly is also one of those games. It's not like keeping the FMVs is anything too crazy it's just odd that the English version couldn't keep them where as Japan could.

Edit: Fixed a typo
Phoenix C64
Phoenix C64
Posted on 12 September 16 at 05:59
yes, I have a x360 ... EU region tho.

if I can get SOTN JP on my x360 that would make me happy enough. if you can give me some hints how to do that?
New Paralyzer
New Paralyzer
Posted on 12 September 16 at 07:33
I'll DM you.
ezhno
ezhno
Posted on 12 September 16 at 21:23
Me too, if you don't mind. I've always been curious about Japanese games and how to get them.
New Paralyzer
New Paralyzer
Posted on 26 September 16 at 03:41
Castlevania (JP) now has an Backwards Compatibility Icon on the achievement page but the game still isnt backwards

So it MAY show up soon hopefully.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.