Game Discussion: Blood Bowl 2 Forum

Blood Bowl 2 Multi-Genre Discussion

AuthorMessage
Posted on 13 September 16 at 17:44
Please use this thread to discuss this games classification under the new multi-genre system.

Click here to cast your votes.
horstwayne
horstwayne
123,522 TrueAchievement PointsAchievement Completion Percentage: 36.41% (Includes owned DLC) - 64 more achievements required to reach 37%55 posts
Last post: 15 Sep 16 at 07:05
Posted on 13 September 16 at 18:04
I guess the following are obvious:
Turn-based
Card and Board
Management
Strategy
Sports
(in that order of probability)
Posted on 31 March 17 at 12:28
Arkzein has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
I'd shift the order a little, but that's moot. Agree with the above.

I' probably remove american football from the current classification, but leave sports, as it's a fantasty mix (akin to a mix of Rugby and american football). Definitely need Card and Board though, it's a direct port of the board game right down to the dice rolls.
Posted on 01 April 17 at 14:02
Reaver Lion has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
total agree with

card and board,
turn based Strategy
sports,

defiantly need American football removedsmile
Posted on 01 April 17 at 14:02
Reaver Lion has removed their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
total agree with

card and board,
turn based Strategy
sports,

need to remove American football smile
Posted on 01 April 17 at 14:12
Reaver Lion has registered their disagreement about the genres applied to this game
total agree with

card and board,
turn based Strategy
sports,

need to remove American football smile

sorry for extra posts tried to edit my first post and it just removed my disagreement!
Eurydace
Eurydace
TrueAchievements Newshound16 walkthroughs owned7,789 posts
Last post: Today at 16:16
Posted on 01 April 17 at 19:03
Eh I think American Football is still applicable. It's not exactly the same of course, but it's very close. Just as close as something like NFL Blitz (or SSX to snowboarding). I don't think either of those would be debatable.

Card and board is totally wrong. It's based on a tabletop game (not a board game), but you don't actually play the tabletop game. It's just based on it. Not applicable.
Arkzein
Arkzein
Registered on 21 August 2008 (Year 1 - alpha)Achievement Completion Percentage: 99.64% (Includes owned DLC) - 3 more achievements required to reach 99.7%573 posts
Last post: 27 Apr at 14:30
Posted on 01 April 17 at 21:25, Edited on 01 April 17 at 21:32 by Arkzein
It's not just based on it, it's exactly copied from the table top game. The rules and dice rolls are copied exactly from the rule book. If anything is explicity copied as a table top conversion to xbox/PC, it's this. It has to be card and board, unless you want to take table top rpg/game as a separate genre to card and board.

You are playing the table top game exactly as you would in real life, just with graphical representations.
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 01 April 17 at 22:59
I'd think it needs to be properly framed as a board game (like Armello). This isn't. You'd never think it was if you didn't know the background. The tabletop stuff is mostly behind the scenes.
Arkzein
Arkzein
Registered on 21 August 2008 (Year 1 - alpha)Achievement Completion Percentage: 99.64% (Includes owned DLC) - 3 more achievements required to reach 99.7%573 posts
Last post: 27 Apr at 14:30
Posted on 01 April 17 at 23:46, Edited on 01 April 17 at 23:54 by Arkzein
Framing doesn't matter surely? The mechanics are exactly as the table top, right down to every dice roll. There is no interpretation or simplification for a computer game, it's exactly transported. You play exactly the table top game, the only difference is you don't physically roll the dice.

*edit* Sorry that's coming across as very harsh. Just, in Brief, that this is a direct as strict port of a table top game. Very few come close in accuracy.
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 02 April 17 at 03:19
You're not being too harsh. But I do think framing matters. Any game with variable damage amounts and chances works like that. Why is XCOM not a board game? It's got dice rolls, you just can't see them.

The only reason you'd call Blood Bowl 2 a card and board game is because it's based on a card and board game. Any game with similar gameplay (XCOM 2, though obviously it's not exactly the same presentation) wouldn't get the genre. So Blood Bowl 2 shouldn't either.
Reaver Lion
Reaver Lion
Achievement Completion Percentage: 83.64% (Includes owned DLC) - 56 more achievements required to reach 84%TrueAchievements Pro user322 posts
Last post: 17 Apr at 12:02
Posted on 02 April 17 at 15:51
monopoly is not card and board either then,

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/bloodbowl/images/5/58/Bl...

I played this game as a kid, board game it was and still is, American football it is not.
fantasy sport yes. as for this x1 game it is the exact clone of the board game, happy dayssmile

*waits for space hulk to come out and be defined as a walking sim*
''Fear is the mind killer''
QuarkSpectrum
QuarkSpectrum
177,161 TrueAchievement Points33 posts
Last post: 24 Apr at 21:39
Posted on 02 April 17 at 19:11
Eurydace said:
Eh I think American Football is still applicable. It's not exactly the same of course, but it's very close. Just as close as something like NFL Blitz (or SSX to snowboarding). I don't think either of those would be debatable.

Card and board is totally wrong. It's based on a tabletop game (not a board game), but you don't actually play the tabletop game. It's just based on it. Not applicable.
I have to strongly disagree with both points here. It's not at all very close to american football. There are no downs, no set plays, no kicking of field goals. Forward passes are permitted anywhere on the field of play. Play is uninterrupted for the duration of each half. If anything, the sport being played in Blood Bowl has much more in common with rugby. NLF Biitz is an arcade version of american football and has some rule differences made for gameplay reasons, but it's still depicting american football. Blood Bowl is a completely different game with only superficial similarities with american football. It's a different sport. If the site considers rugby to be part of the american football category then I will concede this point, but if a rugby game wouldn't get tagged that way then I think we can't tag Blood Bowl with it either.

And on the second point, you absolutely do play the tabletop game. It's a digital version of the tabletop game with no changes made to anything whatsoever. There are some races that exist in tabletop leagues that aren't available in the digital version, but the rules and gameplay are exactly the same. In fact, you can take a team from the digital game and use them to play the tabletop version with no problems at all. They're totally interchangeable.

I'm ignorant of what the site's position is on the difference between a board game and a tabletop game. But if the issue is what you said above about it only being based on a tabletop game and you aren't actually playing the tabletop game, that's completely off base. The digital version of Blood Bowl is just as accurate a representation of its tabletop counterpart as any of the versions of Monopoly, Boggle, Scrabble, etc. available on xbox.
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 02 April 17 at 21:54
You might be right. Perhaps American Football isn't appropriate. But if Rocket League gets soccer, this should get American football. They are equally as close to the real sport. That said, I'm not sure anyone who wants to complete every soccer game really wants to complete Rocket League, so your point has validity. But for current consistency, I think it would need American football.

It's not framed as the tabletop game. Again, if you didn't know it was based on one, you would never think it was. The rolls are hidden. It's just a strategy game.
QuarkSpectrum
QuarkSpectrum
Posted on 02 April 17 at 22:36
I agree with everything in your first paragraph. I would probably argue against applying soccer to Rocket League as well but if the goal of the system is to make those types of connections then I'd agree with having american football apply to Blood Bowl. From my perspective I think the broader Sports genre would be enough for both games. Categories like american football and soccer would seem to be most useful applied to games where those specific sports are being played, whether in an arcade or simulation style, and not just to anything that might superficially resemble those sports. But that's a different issue for a different day.

I don't quite understand what you mean when you say it's not framed as the tabletop game and that the rolls are hidden. Blocking dice are fully animated on the screen when those rolls happen, and any forced automatic rolls have their results shown at the bottom of the screen as they happen, complete with D6 icons. I agree that it's entirely possible for someone to pick up the digital version of the game and not realize that there is also a tabletop version. With Blood Bowl being a relatively obscure tabletop game to begin with, that's probably common. But that's also true of games like Ticket to Ride and Catan.

I think a better reason to not include Blood Bowl in card & board would be that it's much closer in tone and substance to a tabletop RPG like D&D, and less so to games like Monopoly or Ticket to Ride. It might be more useful to keep card & board limited to those types of games.
Our Afflictions
3 walkthroughs ownedTrueAchievement Ratio: 1.74002,280 posts
Last post: Today at 10:27
Posted on 03 April 17 at 01:25
QuarkSpectrum said:
I agree with everything in your first paragraph. I would probably argue against applying soccer to Rocket League as well but if the goal of the system is to make those types of connections then I'd agree with having american football apply to Blood Bowl. From my perspective I think the broader Sports genre would be enough for both games. Categories like american football and soccer would seem to be most useful applied to games where those specific sports are being played, whether in an arcade or simulation style, and not just to anything that might superficially resemble those sports. But that's a different issue for a different day.

I don't quite understand what you mean when you say it's not framed as the tabletop game and that the rolls are hidden. Blocking dice are fully animated on the screen when those rolls happen, and any forced automatic rolls have their results shown at the bottom of the screen as they happen, complete with D6 icons. I agree that it's entirely possible for someone to pick up the digital version of the game and not realize that there is also a tabletop version. With Blood Bowl being a relatively obscure tabletop game to begin with, that's probably common. But that's also true of games like Ticket to Ride and Catan.

I think a better reason to not include Blood Bowl in card & board would be that it's much closer in tone and substance to a tabletop RPG like D&D, and less so to games like Monopoly or Ticket to Ride. It might be more useful to keep card & board limited to those types of games.
No. If it's a Card game, or a board game, it should be classed as such. Just because people haven't played the table top, or there's not one but the game plays as one, it should be classed as one.
QuarkSpectrum
QuarkSpectrum
Posted on 03 April 17 at 01:45
Our Afflictions said:
No. If it's a Card game, or a board game, it should be classed as such. Just because people haven't played the table top, or there's not one but the game plays as one, it should be classed as one.
I agree. That's the argument I've been making the whole time. The part of my post you bolded was referring to the fact that an argument can be made that Blood Bowl doesn't play like a card & board game, but rather like a tabletop RPG.
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 03 April 17 at 02:02
But that would mean many of the D&D games would be card and board. Tabletop games are not board games. They're not remotely similar. Perhaps they should have their own genre, but they shouldn't be card and board simply because they exist in physical format somewhere.
QuarkSpectrum
QuarkSpectrum
Posted on 03 April 17 at 02:25
I don't think I'm doing a very good job of getting across what I'm trying to say.

Eurydace, my initial disagreement about the card & board designation was that you seemed to be saying that the disqualifying factor was that the video game was only based on the tabletop game and not a direct port of it. *If* that's the disqualifying factor, I would disagree with keeping it out because it's a very faithful representation of the tabletop game. They play exactly the same.

However, that point may be moot because Blood Bowl plays much more like a D&D type game than a classic board game. Obviously those are different types of games and they should be classified as such. If that's the route we're trying to take with the new system, then I don't think Blood Bowl needs the card & board tag.
Eurydace
Eurydace
Posted on 03 April 17 at 03:20
Yeah that is what I initially said, but you convinced me otherwise smile

I still don't think it should be, because I think card and board should be limited to card and board games, not any game that exists in a physical real world medium. D&D is significantly different and isn't at all like Monopoly.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.