TA Top Five: Life Lessons Learned From Games

• kintariskintaris335,068
  • Removed Gamer

Removed Gamer

Posted on 24 September 16 at 14:32
    I enjoyed that. Really struck me. Thanks
  • Slimshady296Slimshady296597,371
    Posted on 24 September 16 at 14:43
    Hmm...what about knowing that anything you ever need is in an easily breakable clay pot?
  • Posted on 24 September 16 at 14:51
    In Oblivion I learned there are only 8 voices on the entire planet.

True story.....
    The new dashboard sux!
  • Necromorph11Necromorph111,240,231
    Posted on 24 September 16 at 14:52
    nice and thoughtful read, i would also like to add that you can learn how to be a goat with goat simulator rock
  • Unpredictable DUnpredictable D1,134,976
    Posted on 24 September 16 at 15:08
    "your first lesson..."
    Audiosurf for xbox....please !
  • Unpredictable DUnpredictable D1,134,976
    Posted on 24 September 16 at 15:11
    and yeah, it's really sad that school doesn't teach you the art of cheating (sarcasm)
    Audiosurf for xbox....please !
  • RegalOwlbearRegalOwlbear641,829
    Posted on 24 September 16 at 15:25
    Excellent article! I thought this was very well-written and obviously thought out rather than spat out (not that I'm suggesting any of the others are spat out, just acknowledging the effort that went into it). As a former classic PC gamer I too grew up with Lucas Arts, Sierra and other companies as major sources of adventurey goodness. I've defended my love of games with many of these same points on many occasions, so it's nice to see there are others who can appreciate the educational value of "non-educational" games. Thanks for a great read!
  • Mi GentiMi Genti209,861
    Posted on 24 September 16 at 15:34
    Mixing in gaming with life. I like it. Very good read for the deep gamers out there
  • SanjoeSanjoe812,933
    Posted on 24 September 16 at 15:39
    Great and thoughtful read clap
    The Real Sanjoe
  • Posted on 24 September 16 at 15:49
    Hey we dont get older, we just level up wink
    perfectionist
  • Posted on 24 September 16 at 15:56
    The first 18 years is just the trial, then is the full game with DLCs and microstransactions laugh
    perfectionist
  • Marine1TenMarine1Ten383,595
    Posted on 24 September 16 at 16:13
    Concise presentation and useful for parents in determining how to balance their children's game time.
    Semper Fi
  • o DEEVIUS oo DEEVIUS o603,222
    Posted on 24 September 16 at 16:31
    When I was younger I learned that life was just like Pac-man; sitting in the dark listening to techno music while popping pills . . . .

Seriously though, I learned everything from video games - Physics from Half Life 2 in The Orange Box, How to duck from Alan Wake, How to change clothes very, very quickly from Hitman: Blood Money, How to drive a car through armageddon from Alone In The Dark, How to break an Xbox 360 controller from Boom Boom Rocket, How to identify 1930's American cars from L.A. Noire, How to raze Mars to the ground from Red Faction: Guerrilla, Mental endurance from F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin, How to conserve water from Fallout: New Vegas, How to manage heart palpitations from Dead Space and World of Tanks taught me how to hate!
    Here comes fresh fire ...
  • KBop a dooKBop a doo413,887
    Posted on 24 September 16 at 17:09
    Necromorph11 said:
    nice and thoughtful read, i would also like to add that you can learn how to be a goat with goat simulator rock
    laugh

That could be its own Top Five: "Top Five Things I Learned as a Goat"

Great read as always Sam!
  • RhyoliticRhyolitic562,669
    Posted on 24 September 16 at 17:41
    All I needed to learn from vidja games was that sometimes you get the spider droid, sometimes the spider droid gets you.

Also, don't puncture the dehydrated water canister. The results are not pretty.
  • Posted on 24 September 16 at 17:50
    Enjoyed this. Keep up the great work.
    "Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." — Mark Twain
  • pseudoidolpseudoidol134,214
    Posted on 24 September 16 at 20:26, Edited on 24 September 16 at 20:28 by pseudoidol
    Slimshady296 said:
    Hmm...what about knowing that anything you ever need is in an easily breakable clay pot?
    Or one of the first ways to make money is by cutting grass... albeit with a lawn mower, not a wooden sword.
    pseudoidol Looking to boost: AVP HALO 3
  • FailedSeppukuFailedSeppuku1,768,408
    Posted on 24 September 16 at 21:01
    games teach us that eveything has a weak spot, quite often it's glowing.
  • Erik SeidelErik Seidel218,774
    Posted on 24 September 16 at 21:11
    What I learned: No matter what the subject of a gaming related top 5 is, there is always a way to bring up that particular game.
Want to join in the discussion? Please log in or Register For Free to comment.
Hide ads
Hide ads